PROMETHEUS Sequel Moving Forward

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Lost was epic in a way we haven't seen since. Game of Thrones might be the closest we've seen to a show that's taken over on a cultural level that way, but Game of Thrones has the advantage of being based on novels which are now hugely popular as well. Lost was water cooler, school desk and bar conversation fodder. Everyone with their own theories and favorite characters. Each episode was a legit event. Lost also can make a legit case for having a good number of the most iconic scenes in TV history. And some of the most shocking/emotional deaths. The way they told their story(the flash backs into a different character each week) was also innovative and kept everyone interested in what was a pretty big main cast. They just got caught up in their own hype, fukked themselves over by claiming there was a scientific explanation for everything, and didn't have an end game, thus writing themselves into corners and leaving humongous plot holes. But I'll never shyt on Lost like that because despite the completely lackluster ending, the journey was unmatched:manny:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I don't think they really knew what they wanted to do. Instead of making a prequel to Alien with the type of stuff we had in mind they pulled a 180. Classic case of trying to be too clever without being clever at all. Visually its grade A stuff just the execution was heavily flawed.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think they really knew what they wanted to do. Instead of making a prequel to Alien with the type of stuff we had in mind they pulled a 180. Classic case of trying to be too clever without being clever at all. Visually its grade A stuff just the execution was heavily flawed.
http://www.cracked.com/article_20703_5-famously-terrible-movies-that-were-almost-great.html

Prometheus was just one or two rewrites away from greatness -- but not in the direction you think. An earlier draft by John Spaihts called Alien: Engineers was in fact a straight Alien prequel that, yes, took place on the same planet and could easily have been one of the best movies in the series (or at least something that wouldn't have made audiences want to reach into the screen, grab each character by the shoulders, and violently shake them until they stopped being stupid).
This script completely removes or explains all the weird character decisions and plot holes, opting instead for badass one-liners ("I brought it in. [hefts her gun] I took it out"). Engineers has a new take on the chest-burster scene that's even more intense than the one Prometheus gave us: Instead of getting a cesarean section, the original draft had that medical pod repairing Watt's chest as a xenomorph burst out of it. We also would've seen new types of xenomorphs, including a gray human-alien hybrid -- except, ya know, better than the one we saw in Alien: Resurrection.

Weirdly enough, it also explains virtually every plot hole in the version we saw. Why does the crew not know what their job is? Because classified jobs pay more and Peter Weyland is worried about corporate espionage. What's the black goo? A bioweapon originally intended for Earth. Why does the Engineer throw a temper tantrum when people wake him up? Because he has a xenomorph in his belly and is awaiting medical care -- our heroes have effectively doomed both him and the planet. Why did David the Android turn evil? Because he goes nuts and starts seeing the Engineers as gods worthy of worship.
So what happened? Well, they brought in Damon Lindelof (the guy who wrote Lost) and, shockingly, suddenly the plot took on the same random and nonsensical nature of the seasons of Lost he wrote. Lindelof convinced director Ridley Scott that the movie didn't need to be an Alien prequel at all, that audiences wouldn't care about that. So instead they'd just make the aliens look pretty much like the xenomorphs everyone knows and loves and do a "search and replace" in the script, switching out the names of the planets. After all, there's nothing audiences love more than being utterly confused by random plot elements that seem to have been slapped together on the fly, right?

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/op...us-explained-in-the-original-script-jsarg.php

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I knew that Damon Lindelof fukked up the script as soon as I knew he was involved. fakkit loves fukking up shyt for no reason trying to be the smartest person in the room. Did people not learn from the Lost catastrophe? Keep this hack the hell away from scripts.

sofaking

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've never seen any of the Alien movies....but thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus...I knew some of the Alien mythology but I think that helped me see it as a standalone movie which I think the route they took...

In terms of the storyline, there are various potholes and typical idiot character moves...but as a whole I think the story makes sense. The Engineers are our "God." They were going to hurt the human race for the same reason "God" of various religion says humans will be hurt for their transgressions. Also, I read a theory that the Engineers sent a representative to meet with the human race, and that representative was killed for his ways ala "God" sending his son "Jesus" teach the world, and is killed for his beliefs....this also ties in with Naomi's character and the cross she carries....so the reason why they want to hurt humans is an act of vengeance against a human race who did not believe...

suffice to say...excited for the new movies....Naomi going to the Engineers planet...or going to one of the millions of planets they see on the Engineers navigation system looks interesting...

people need to stop hating though...seriously is a decent - good sci-fi movie....

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I knew that Damon Lindelof fukked up the script as soon as I knew he was involved. fakkit loves fukking up shyt for no reason trying to be the smartest person in the room. Did people not learn from the Lost catastrophe? Keep this hack the hell away from scripts.

If that fakkit somehow some way ends up as a writer for Star Wars I might commit an act of terrorism

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've never seen any of the Alien movies....but thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus...I knew some of the Alien mythology but I think that helped me see it as a standalone movie which I think the route they took...

In terms of the storyline, there are various potholes and typical idiot character moves...but as a whole I think the story makes sense. The Engineers are our "God." They were going to hurt the human race for the same reason "God" of various religion says humans will be hurt for their transgressions. Also, I read a theory that the Engineers sent a representative to meet with the human race, and that representative was killed for his ways ala "God" sending his son "Jesus" teach the world, and is killed for his beliefs....this also ties in with Naomi's character and the cross she carries....so the reason why they want to hurt humans is an act of vengeance against a human race who did not believe...

suffice to say...excited for the new movies....Naomi going to the Engineers planet...or going to one of the millions of planets they see on the Engineers navigation system looks interesting...

people need to stop hating though...seriously is a decent - good sci-fi movie....
I can respect that and I personally dont hate the movie but its just frustrating when they overthink it and make it free for interpretation. I know you said you're not familiar with the Alien movies but you have to understand people been waiting for a decent followup for years and then when we finally get it it's this confused mess of a film thanks to the habitual fukk up movie and TV writer Lindelof. It's a little long but watch this review and overall write up about what the movie was suppose to be and the book it was based on.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Why does the Engineer throw a temper tantrum when people wake him up? Because he has a xenomorph in his belly and is awaiting medical care -- our heroes have effectively doomed both him and the planet.
:ohhh:

I understood a lot of the movie but was :dwillhuh: when this mafukka woke up and just started offin everyone

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh:

I understood a lot of the movie but was :dwillhuh: when this mafukka woke up and just started offin everyone
The way I took it, he was pissed because of what happened on earth when they sent down engineer jesus. Before he was locked in that room they were about to fly to earth and destroy it. Also the first thing David asks the engineer is about eternal life for his "master".