Professor of Astrophysics at Cambridge Discovers Planet w 50/50 Chance Of Life Now JWST Is Being Aimed At It For Closer Look

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some scale:

It's 120 light years away.

The Voyager satellite has been traveling 38,000 mph for the last 45 years.

Voyager hasn't gone a single light day yet.

That's why it's so vital to focus on this planet.
Anything less than a fraction of a lightyear away is unfeasible to reach in a single human's lifetime and it doesn't look like anything is within that range so far.

Next closest star/solar system is over 4 light years away.
Something to keep in mind about how far/close we are to what's around us.

I'm glad you said this.

It takes me back to these 2 songs right here.

We know so little about Earth, but worried about outta space

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
It's kinda sad that people are so dumb, that they actually believe there is any chance of aliens landing on our planet

There's could be millions of planets bursting with life. But they're just like us with no idea how to traverse the universe or are just wild animals or plants etc with no intelligent life as we know it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s also rooted in anti-intellectualism. Read the posts in this thread. They imply and some outright suggest we should curb/stop our curiosity out of fear of impending destruction

brehs want to stunt potential growth out of fear of “invisible boogeymen”

:francis:
precisely....

im surprised no flat earthers....fake space posters have been in here yet

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
There's could be millions of planets bursting with life. But they're just like us with no idea how to traverse the universe or are just wild animals or plants etc with no intelligent life as we know it.
Yup, a lot of being still face the physics of whatever they're dealing with at the end of the day.

I personally think that the “we’re doomed” if we make contact mindset is overblown.

It’s rooted in egocentrism when you think about it: “all other alien races must be like White colonizers on Earth”

Also, resources aren’t a problem…the universe is big as fukk / if they can get here they can surely get to other uninhibited planets that have even more resources.
I'll add to this: who even says it's humans who make it to the other planet from earth.

Maybe Real General A.I holding human collective intelligence does.

Remember, if we follow the course of history:
13.8 billion years ago the Big Bang
Rocks collided for 9.2 billions of years (and are still colliding)
4.6 billion years ago enough rocks collided in a special way to form earth.
At some point water came to be after enough collisions
4 billion years ago cells came to be
At some point these cells formed fish
At some point these fish got on land to become mammals
At some point these mammals became humans with five senses and a brain

Now we as humans are observing the Universe through our senses and thinking our way through things in this environment
We're the Universe observing itself and now we see other planets/galaxies and want to traverse/get to them.

However, we're limited physically but if we create an Artificial Intelligence that resembles us and too is observing the universe, we can "transport" our human consciousness with a machine/machines that can actually make it to other parts of the cosmos. We may not be able to make it to other planets before the Sun super novas, but our consciousness via A.I may.

We don't really get a final say in Universal matters and who gets to make it where, humans, like those mammals and fish we're here because rocks smashed together enough to form our consciousness/senses after all.