Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's a time and place for all this shyt... I can be listening to Lil Reese, one minute and the next minute it'll be Nas.... I don't see how y'all can rock with ONE kind of style all the time fukk no.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Rick James dressed like that because he didn't know any better. Androgyny was just being created and he helped start the trend along with Boy George and Prince. That was in the late 70's and early 80's. They didn't know the error of their ways. Plenty of real nikkas probably dressed like that in that time frame. Watch some vintage soul train and you'd probably see Tookie Williams type nikkas dressing like that. They get a pass because black masulinity wasn't celebrated at the time. But to do this shyt post gangsta rap era is beyond comprehension.

Lol so now black masculinity = gangsta? So we can't be regular heterosexual males anymore? Your view is distorted like the nu age hipsters.

You think that hip hop and urban culture should stay the same forever. With people acting and looking exactly the same.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Lol so now black masculinity = gangsta? So we can't be regular heterosexual males anymore? Your view is distorted like the nu age hipsters.

You think that hip hop and urban culture should stay the same forever. With people acting and looking exactly the same.

Where did I mention masculinity equating gangsta?

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
the underlying logic is: if everything about your art is tired, repetitive, dull and overdone.....dressing like Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid isn't going to make it better (and it shouldn't)....but in this day and age you have most of the marquee rappers doing just that...regurgitating the same songs with the same topics but presenting their music and themselves as some sort of deep, high-brow artistic shyt

they are not actually pushing the envelope or furthering the genre, but they want to prance around in public dressing and acting like the artists from yesteryear who ACTUALLY DID

and sure, some of it is just a fad of the times: the stupid literal minimalist cover art kanye is so fond of, all the corny illuminati symbolism shyt that they have been milking, etc etc

but on a bigger scale, it's a symptom of the rap game as a whole: it's hemorrhaging money...popularity has waned...record labels are scared to invest in acts like they once did...so there is not a lot of room for error, or a lot of room for creativity...

now as for your point about Prince, sure there are things that make it hard to give artists passes for no matter how much you like their music...and sure people could look back at some of those artists and say "but they were just as weird looking and pretentious as artists today"

Michael Jackson made a big budget movie about saving a bunch of young white kids by transforming into a Power Rangers Megazord version of himself, and a lot of people think he was fukking those young white kids.....but like Chappelle said...he made Thriller man...Thriller

meanwhile Asap Rocky is running around wearing dresses putting out shyt like "I'm comin diiinnneee...pourin uuuuup....gold grill, my nikka wuuuuutt" like he's signed to fukking Swishahouse or something

2 Chainz puttin out singles called "I'm Diff'rent".........can someone explain to me how the fukk he's Diff'rent?

Music popularity dropped when the internet blew up in the mid 00s and downloading became commonplace. Rap dropped the most when it got boxed in as a stagnated art form and lost it's hardcore dedicated fans due to old rappers doing the same shyt over and over and over again.

Slangtonomo

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
no, you didn't. not even close. you're either just remembering the names that lasted or outright lying to help push your point.

what this thread really is just dude's bytching about what other dude's are wearing.

No it's not...

It's about rappers who dress as if they're bout to deliver some artsy music...and they turn around and make some shyt Pookie down the street who still wears FUBU can make.

This shows that they aren't sincere, they're only acting.

Same way a real nikka can listen to a song by a supposed real nikka rapper...and can tell the nikka is lying and telling tales.

Someone into art can tell a lot of these rappers are faking and just attempting to ride a cac trend.

Slangtonomo

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
If you're wearing jeans, baggy or slim, below the crack of your ass, that's dressing like a bytch too. That's some prison shyt that became popular beyond them walls. Like I said, even the alternative that you kept bringing up had some ridiculous shyt that went with it.

No wearing baggy (tho it doesn't need be too baggy anymore) is taking control of something and making it yours. Same as with the word ******...yeah it started as a slander to black people, but we TOOK that word and made it nikka...OUR shyt.

So even if baggy started in prison...we TOOK that and made it ours.

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
U old nikkaz have some very convoluted thought processes when it comes to this generation

I mean I like to just keep it simple and say ur just :flabbynsick: bitter ol nikkaz but I guess nikkaz dnt wanna keep it simple nowdays :yeshrug:

Straight up, you're a fakkit.

This thread has so many different opinions but it's been a good read because mostly everyone has contributed well...and then there's you.

Shout out to Charmander.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Where did I imply Rick James was a homo? I said Rick James was Androgynous in which he was. Same goes for Morris Day,Prince,Boy George,George Micheal and Ready for The World. That was the 80's though. Once Gangsta Rap took in the late 80's that Androgyny shyt should've been dead because R&B was no longer the most dominant form of urban music in the ghetto. How do you go from seeing how soft and homo something was and then return to it. It's like seeing how wack your parents bell bottoms were only to be walking thru a thrift store and decide you want to cop some and hit the streets in em. I'd rather see my ppl wear tall T's and baggy jeans over Kilts,Blouses and skin tight jeans any day. I'm not with that androgyny shyt bruh and only fags can co-sign that shyt in 2013. All dem 80's nikkas get a pass because they didn't know no better. But to be raised watching authentic nikkas like Scarface and Too Short to go back to Androgyny is the epitome of fagdom.

LOL at this. This is making me :laff:

You want your people to wear tacky, oversize clothes? So you never heard of fitted clothing that is made for men, huh? :bryan: Stagnant behavior is the reason why swag music took over; cause the "real nikkas" were so concerned about being "real" that they forgot how to be themselves and do what they want, not what "the streets" tell them. That is why I give props to the youth, despite some of them in their feminine shyt: the ability to be their damn selves and not conform to no damn streets or intertwine that the "Streets" = being black.

Expand your mind, not on that feminine shyt, but to tolerate others. You sound like a damn KKK member.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Where did I ever say nikkas should rock oversized clothes? But if I had to choose between baggy jeans and skin tight jeans i'll choose baggy everytime. I rock shyt that fit not shyt that clings to me. You nikkas can't seem to grasp the difference. You think you gotta rock jeans where nikkas can see the coins in ya front and back pocket.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
If you're wearing jeans, baggy or slim, below the crack of your ass, that's dressing like a bytch too. That's some prison shyt that became popular beyond them walls. Like I said, even the alternative that you kept bringing up had some ridiculous shyt that went with it.

Not to mention that Stack Bundles and Jim Jones introduced the Rockstar clothes to the streets. Not the ASAPs in the rap game. They opened the door back in 2005 and it turned to this. That is why the likes of J. Cole is needed cause his image and songs represent a healthy balance of the black male image. Not the super thug nikka that kills blacks like a KKK member, and certainly not anything feminine. Too bad that normal people in Hip Hop are shytted on.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Where did I ever say nikkas should rock oversized clothes? But if I had to choose between baggy jeans and skin tight jeans i'll choose baggy everytime. I rock shyt that fit not shyt that clings to me. You nikkas can't seem to grasp the difference. You think you gotta rock jeans where nikkas can see the coins in ya front and back pocket.

and who introduced that feminine shyt to the streets?:leostare:

this is ALL kanyes fault, and to an extent jays

but no ones tryna hear that :belip:

Kanye started it? :beli:

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
The problem is that rappers often confuse themselves with being actual musicians and composers. Alot of rappers from the 80's and 90s had actual musical training, even Pimp C of all people. Which is why there is some sense of musical elements.

But if you grew up listening to say nelly, followed by Choppa Style etc, back then i thought those dudes were trash, but some of these guys kids grew up on, their style is modeled after that. Take nelly, then take d4l, then dem franchise boyz etc, thats who these kids grew up on and were influenced by, when the hook became more important than the song. Notice most of these tracks are driven by the hooks.

Playing an instrument and learning your craft is alot of work, I know because I personally have had to do it, I had to learn the saxaphone and piano and it was grueling but i learned later in life how to properly compose.

Rappers like nas, rakim etc have that type of background, its why craft is more important than content.

i cant comment on fashion because simply put i dont care about it, i wont lie to any of you, i havent even bought a new pair of shoes in almost two years, but as far as the music goes, very few people will be musical visionaries in the coming years, especially in rap, you dont even need a real voice to sing anymore, a judge on american idol right now is judging others on how to sing while she needs a computer for her voice in the first place. what does that tell you

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Straight up, you're a fakkit.

This thread has so many different opinions but it's been a good read because mostly everyone has contributed well...and then there's you.

Shout out to Charmander.

Nah Im just one of the many different opinions :umad: fakket