Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Are people trying to say Kanye West has not made creative or original music?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Nas club bangers like Nastradamus and You Owe me are not seeing 2 Chainz or someone as embarrassing as Dj Khaled's club bangers.
And I'm sorry but I can't mention a Scarface "club banger" unless Guess who's back would pass as one and that's a 23 year long career we're talking about.
I wasn't up in the clubs back then, but I've got the picture that R&B was 90% of the shyt getting played and you might've got a MC Hammer joint, Salt n Pepa joint, Beastie Boys, Mc Hammer, if you were lucky or in the deep hoods perhaps Rakim. But then came Snoop, Pac, Big and those dudes. Now we have plenty one hit wonders and rappers like 2 chainz serving their purpose.

If the song isn't dope, creative, fresh, original or something it won't succeed.
Thats just 2 rappers bro. 2 rappers not known for club bangers.

Your god Jay has had a lot of club bangers

DJ could put "Hypnotize" on in any club in the country and people will start jamming

Etc.

Back in the 90s mainstream rap was just better, period. shyt on the radio was much better, from rap to R&B. The shyt out now is weaker, theres no way around it.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Do you really believe this? Youre a positive dude I know and always give props to those that are successful, but do you really believe that things like "image, cosigns, gimmicks" dont play a role?

"dope, creative, fresh, original" arent concepts that are automatically linked. I can think of tons of "hit" singles that arent "creative" or "original". Someone may find them "fresh" or "dope"...and tastes vary of course, but I think there is often a sheepish mentality with hit-records, and "fresh and dope" might be a product of image and other gimmicks like catch-phrases and adlibs, and not the music.
It doesn't have to be all of those things but I think it needs one of those factors.
Sometimes of course if you're already a star like Drake, Jay, Eminem or Wayne, you might just need a dope beat.

That's what I've been observing for the past years though, catchyness to me is creativity as well or you might just be lucky and just hit that one joint but that's on rare occasions.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Thats just 2 rappers bro. 2 rappers not known for club bangers.

Your god Jay has had a lot of club bangers

DJ could put "Hypnotize" on in any club in the country and people will start jamming

Etc.

Back in the 90s mainstream rap was just better, period. shyt on the radio was much better, from rap to R&B. The shyt out now is weaker, theres no way around it.
Rappers as good, I read it as Nas and Scarface were making good club bangers.

But what you mean? Kendrick Lamar dropped his joint, Drake is dropping joints, Cole is dropped joints etc. All the dope mainstream rappers are dropping club bangers. Unlike the late 80s, early 90s when you had a select few with that capability. 2012-13 has not got as many relevant rappers as 10 years of the 90s, so we can't compare it. You've got to compare particular years to particular years. And I'll agree on that rap is not as good as it was, only genre peaking right now (or 07-11) is probably indie pop as far as I know.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rappers as good, I read it as Nas and Scarface were making good club bangers.

But what you mean? Kendrick Lamar dropped his joint, Drake is dropping joints, Cole is dropped joints etc. All the dope mainstream rappers are dropping club bangers. Unlike the late 80s, early 90s when you had a select few with that capability. 2012-13 has not got as many relevant rappers as 10 years of the 90s, so we can't compare it. You've got to compare particular years to particular years. And I'll agree on that rap is not as good as it was, only genre peaking right now (or 07-11) is probably indie pop as far as I know.
A select few :mjpls:

Yea we had a real drought of talent in the 90s...

Pac
Big
Nas
Jay
Pun
Snoop
Outkast
Wu Tang
CNN
Mos Def
The Roots
DMX

Not to mention all the B level rappers and regional waves

Texas
Horrorcore
Cash Money
Dungeon Family
Def Squad
Junior Mafia
Ruff Ryders

:what:

Game is a LOT weaker now than it was 10-15 yrs ago. Nobody is gonna be listening to shyt by ASAP Rocky and Big Sean in 2023

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
A select few :mjpls:

Yea we had a real drought of talent in the 90s...

Pac
Big
Nas
Jay
Pun
Snoop
Outkast
Wu Tang
CNN
Mos Def
The Roots
DMX

Not to mention all the B level rappers and regional waves

Texas
Horrorcore
Cash Money
Dungeon Family
Def Squad
Junior Mafia
Ruff Ryders

Game is a LOT weaker now than it was 10-15 yrs ago. Nobody is gonna be listening to shyt by ASAP Rocky and Big Sean in 2023
They said nobody was gonna listen to lil Wayne either, and now 15 years later here we are :ohhh:.
Same thing about Jeezy 9 years ago, the list of wrongs regarding "nobody is gonna listen to.." goes towards infinity.

None of those rappers you mentioned had any club bangers in the early 90s or late 80s. Snoop was the first in 93. And a lot of those rappers didn't even have any dope club bangers. My argument as you can see in my post was strictly restricted to club bangers, strip club anthems, anthems of celebration etc and you can also see that I said that I think music was better back in the days in post.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
They said nobody was gonna listen to lil Wayne either, and now 15 years later here we are :ohhh:.
Same thing about Jeezy 9 years ago, the list of wrongs regarding "nobody is gonna listen to.." goes towards infinity.

None of those rappers you mentioned had any club bangers in the early 90s or late 80s. Snoop was the first in 93. And a lot of those rappers didn't even have any dope club bangers. My argument as you can see in my post was strictly restricted to club bangers, strip club anthems, anthems of celebration etc and you can also see that I said that I think music was better back in the days in post.

None of the rappers I named were out in the late 80s early 90s, so how could they have had club bangers then? And you do realize the 90s went all the way to 1999 right?

Harry B

Superstar
Daps

None of the rappers I named were out in the late 80s early 90s, so how could they have had club bangers then? And you do realize the 90s went all the way to 1999 right?

All the dope mainstream rappers are dropping club bangers. Unlike the late 80s, early 90s when you had a select few with that capability

I don't know what you were responding to.

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
all i'm getting from this thread is that you would be happier if rappers dressed more plainly :huh:

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
OP is on point....

These young rappers wanna LOOK creative without being really creative....

cats like 3stacks and Common actually pushed the boundaries with BOTH the fashion AND the music.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Are people trying to say Kanye West has not made creative or original music?

Kanye is one of the few that pushes himself musically...I don't put him in the same boat as these blog rappers....

I think he influenced them fashion wise but they missed the memo that you might actually wanna try somthing new musically aswell..

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
Yep...

You see it...

The visual aspect is running laps around the audio...

Wiz has the same sound and content as when he looked like this

Wiz+Khalifa.jpg

But now he's calling himself young Jimi and on the cover of Rolling Stone... You wanna call yourself Jimi? Cool.. Well release something with the soul, passion and originality of Hey Joe...Don't just have your stylest raid his closet...

:wow: