Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
the gay agenda in hip hop is real as much as people on here try to ignore it...that im different track by 2 chainz is the gay agenda anthem right now...and someone from this board put me on to that tranny that appears at the end of that video too:troll:...

:ohhh:
Explain

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I appreciate people moving away from embarrassing generic rap album covers & more original videos being shot & i do think there is more of an emphasis o rappers making quality music (even i they aren't) than the smack dvd era, That's the good side of it

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I appreciate people moving away from embarrassing generic rap album covers & more original videos being shot & i do think there is more of an emphasis o rappers making quality music (even i they aren't) than the smack dvd era, That's the good side of it

Cats want to romanticize that Smack DVD era where everyone was super thugged out and making the same wannabe Little X/ Hype Williams videos with the same video hoes, same clothes, same producers :beli:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
They wanna hook you in with something catchy, hip or familiar, so the flamboyant imagery prevails. Noawadays content-wise, it seems like we have:

- the "weed" guys (Spitta, Mac Miller, Wiz)
- the vintage nostalgics (Action Bronson, Joey Badass, Big KRIT)
- nostalgics with modern urbanisms (Pac Div, XV, Childish Gambino)
- the ratchet-ery (Keef and GBE, Gucci, Wacka)
- Hipster ratchet-ery (Odd Future, Lil B)
- Bleeding heart "artistes" (Kendrick Lamar, Ab and Q, Blu, Kid Cudi)
- Social media whores, safe, mainstream culture afficianados (Budden, Fab, Game, Wale)
- Low-tier mainstream basic pretentiousness, with ratchet-ery (ie. "I brag about brand names that are actually quite popular and not particularly impressive anymore like Michael Kors and Fendi") good examples are 2Chainz, Wayne, Jeezy, French Montana
- Top-tier pretentiousness with vintage Euro imagery and namedroppings that you know nothing about, and never will (Kanye and Jay being royalty, Drake stands unopposed as the new challenger)
- Baby "top-tier" pretentiousness. Immature, less accomplished versions of above. Pusha T, Big Sean and ASAP Rocky are good examples

:manny:

Incredible post. :jawalrus:

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Cats want to romanticize that Smack DVD era where everyone was super thugged out and making the same wannabe Little X/ Hype Williams videos with the same video hoes, same clothes, same producers :beli:

smack dvd era was just as wack as the mainstream shyt today. Two extremes. The music industry took out the balance in mainstream hip hop in the mid/late 90s with the very BIG helping hand of :takedat:

The majority of them smack dvd dudes couldn't make records let alone a album. Plus when they would spit it was usually filler, hot line, filler. hot line...rinse and repeat. shyt got old quick. I could see the appeal but it was fleeting. But that's what the masses wanted, fast food rap...that seems to goes for pretty much everything in entertainment.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the gay agenda in hip hop is real as much as people on here try to ignore it...that im different track by 2 chainz is the gay agenda anthem right now...and someone from this board put me on to that tranny that appears at the end of that video too:troll:...

:dead:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
You know...Where the subject matter is money, clothes, liquor, drugs and hoes just like 90% of all post Death Row hip hop...But the twist is they do it with abstract art placement and homosexual clothing...

This whole Andy Warhol meets Ma$e cornball weirdo sh1t needs to run its course asap...

If your content and thoughts aren't original and creative..All the "unique" clothes, album covers and European culture vulturing won't save you.. You might fool Pitch Fork and the gentrification dwelling taste makers, but real n1ggas see through this..

"Oh Wiz is unique because he dresses like Jimi Hendix while rappin about nothin"..

"The way Kanye can rap about his dikk while surrounded by the Bolshoi Ballet Company is groundbreaking"

"2 Chainz raps about selling crack and drop tops but it's different because he dresses like Boy George now"

"The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra is gonna play background while Weezy raps how how much he loves head"

"Did you see the new album cover for "Make It Rain On a Strippa"? It's an interpertation of Basquiat's early work"

:ohhh:

wiz-khalifa-onifc-cover.jpg

pushatennoirtshirtbethiphopawards.jpg

drake-2-chainz-bet-hip-hop-awards-nominations-the-jasmine-brand.jpg

cute-kanye-west-ballet-black-Favim.com-465076.gif

ASAPROCKYDRESS-450x454-307x310.jpg

:smh:

"Real nikkas" like yourself :flabbynsick:

:troll:

Kanye's album got high reviews from every rapper, producer and magazine in the world. You're realer than Nas, Rza, Premo, Jay and them now?

Clothes and swag has nothing to do with anything, as far as music goes.
2 Chainz has hit records for the clubs, Asap has a unique style, Kanye is one of the best producers/musicians of the 2000s according to the people who know music and Wiz is mostly rated average but had a strong weed/easy living movement that crafted 2-3 nice mixtapes and he's a great live performer (and his change in fashion didn't help him get anywhere).

nikkas are out of the hood and starting to found interest in shyt, a lot of people find interesting namely fashion. Having a unique clothing style/swag has always been something in hiphop, Pac made it one of his central arguments in his beef against Big. Run DMC made it their biggest hit and it goes on.

There is room for cats like 2 Chainz, nobody is trying to hear Nas or Scarface in the club.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
"Real nikkas" like yourself :flabbynsick:

:troll:

Kanye's album got high reviews from every rapper, producer and magazine in the world. You're realer than Nas, Rza, Premo, Jay and them now?

Clothes and swag has nothing to do with anything, as far as music goes.
2 Chainz has hit records for the clubs, Asap has a unique style, Kanye is one of the best producers/musicians of the 2000s according to the people who know music and Wiz is mostly rated average but had a strong weed/easy living movement that crafted 2-3 nice mixtapes and he's a great live performer (and his change in fashion didn't help him get anywhere).

nikkas are out of the hood and starting to found interest in shyt, a lot of people find interesting namely fashion. Having a unique clothing style/swag has always been something in hiphop, Pac made it one of his central arguments in his beef against Big. Run DMC made it their biggest hit and it goes on.

There is room for cats like 2 Chainz, nobody is trying to hear Nas or Scarface in the club.
Heres the thing

Rappers as good as Nas/Scarface were making club bangers

Now to be a mainstream rapper its pretty much a given that you have to be wack and one dimensional

Im sorry for finding that less than optimal

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Heres the thing

Rappers as good as Nas/Scarface were making club bangers

Now to be a mainstream rapper its pretty much a given that you have to be wack and one dimensional

Im sorry for finding that less than optimal
Nas club bangers like Nastradamus and You Owe me are not seeing 2 Chainz or someone as embarrassing as Dj Khaled's club bangers.
And I'm sorry but I can't mention a Scarface "club banger" unless Guess who's back would pass as one and that's a 23 year long career we're talking about.
I wasn't up in the clubs back then, but I've got the picture that R&B was 90% of the shyt getting played and you might've got a MC Hammer joint, Salt n Pepa joint, Beastie Boys, Mc Hammer, if you were lucky or in the deep hoods perhaps Rakim. But then came Snoop, Pac, Big and those dudes. Now we have plenty one hit wonders and rappers like 2 chainz serving their purpose.

What about those that talk extensively about "clothes and swag" in their raps?
If the song isn't dope, creative, fresh, original or something it won't succeed.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If the song isn't dope, creative, fresh, original or something it won't succeed.

Do you really believe this? Youre a positive dude I know and always give props to those that are successful, but do you really believe that things like "image, cosigns, gimmicks" dont play a role?

"dope, creative, fresh, original" arent concepts that are automatically linked. I can think of tons of "hit" singles that arent "creative" or "original". Someone may find them "fresh" or "dope"...and tastes vary of course, but I think there is often a sheepish mentality with hit-records, and "fresh and dope" might be a product of image and other gimmicks like catch-phrases and adlibs, and not the music.