Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

raw613

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
602 via 410
I get what people are sayin, if your going out of your way to appear different or unique, applying that to the art is what makes it more than a cliched gimmick.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
it's no coincidence either...peep the guy left :scusthov:
Screen-Shot-2012-12-23-at-12.09.12-PM.png

:huhldup:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I guess when it comes to rappers, normalcy is a bad thing. People always talk about how boring J Cole is because he raps about very basic things in a basic way, and looks like someone youd see on public transit. I personally dont think thats a BAD thing, but I can see why others do.

Rappers have always been about excess for the most part. I have more money, smoke more weed, better weed, got more b1tches, better b1tches, your b1tches, better/more cars, expensive labels, bigger guns that make less noise, more goons on payroll etc etc etc

The image separates them. The problem is, we got bored of the old imagery, but not quite bored of the same content. Now we have rappers that are dressed more extravagantly and ambiguously (in order to separate themselves), but its the same content. The image has evolved to the point where the old is completely :flabbynsick: and unrecognizable, yet the content has not evolved...

If youre young and havent witnessed the generations prior, you prolly think nothing of it, but for older heads, its kinda boggling as to how music creativity is stagnant (and regressing in the mainstream) and the looks and imagery is rapidly changing every year desperately trying to grasp the current "cool".

Thankfully hip-hop production is the backbone, and has evolved in a very healthy and organic way, merging with other styles and complimenting itself for the most part.

BlackZilla

M0derator
Daps
Thankfully hip-hop production is the backbone, and has evolved in a very healthy and organic way, merging with other styles and complimenting itself for the most part.

This a million fukking times.

The production is the true driving force behind Hip Hop's evolution. Everything else follows. Boom Bap, G Funk, Sampling, Trap etc all have which have ushered in different eras of rap music over time. :blessed:

killacal

Banned
Daps
Yeah it's not all about the clothes to me at all...If you're dope, original and creative I don't care what you wear..

It's the mentality that you can put zero effort into the words you say and try to mask that with side show theater and flamboyance.. I don't care if you dress like a runway model if you have something to say...I really don't...

The thread was inspired by this post from @killacal

http://www.the-coli.com/3080625-post3.html

100% on point...

:myman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
wouldnt even say that tbh
his production on old roc tracks is :ohlawd:

I can't stand to hear 'Ye cry all over MBDTF about not being accepted and some woman leaving perfect him, but, the production was great

But, I definitely see your point

It's moreso, progressed pass the gutter (Guess Who's Back is probably a Top 5 beat, IMO) tracks and able to make a great modern Rap sound

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rap is entering its glam era like Rock did how many moons ago. You got Kanye thinking he's David Bowie and all these new cats trying to be Freddy Mercury.

shyt won't last that long, Hip Hop is notorious for changing trends real quick.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
But now he's calling himself young Jimi and on the cover of Rolling Stone... You wanna call yourself Jimi? Cool.. Well release something with the soul, passion and originality of Hey Joe...Don't just have your stylest raid his closet...

i'm not reading the whole 5 pages but i just thought this was funny on some snob shyt :smugfavre:

Last edited by a moderator: