#predictable sitcom plots

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
It's trash day...and after taking the trash out, one of The Gang realizes they're missing something!
So they gotta either (1) go to the dump and dig for it, or (2) go the dumpster outside the apartment building and dig for it.
The main one against it & then the a screen wipe effect cuts to the the camera panning out to them about to dive in.

After searching high and low in the garbage; it wasn’t in there. :francis:Somebody moved it and didn’t say nothing/ it was at the cleaners; :yeshrug:they just picked it up 30 mins ago.

:mjlit:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have seen so many sitcoms these last few months and I always think of this thread. Have these been mentioned yet:

Hiring a maid...especially when you aren't rich or are straight up poor
A character get's put into a position of authority and get's drunk with power
Character is 1 credit/class short
Sammy Davis Jr...seriously why was this dude on so many shows :mjlol:. Always delivered though.
Somebody has to go to the dentist

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
As a way to get back at someone, the main characters pull a prank on them when they make the target think they won the lottery. They record the lottery drawing from a previous day, take the numbers down, and switch the target's ticket with the scam ticket containing the numbers from the drawing. Then they play the recording of the drawing as the target holds the scam ticket, thinking they won millions.

Everything is hilarious until you realize it's gone far past the joke and the person is fully convinced they won the lottery. :beli:

Bonus points: It's never explained how the main characters are able to switch the tickets without their target knowing, and it ends up being convenient that they just so happen to be watching the drawing that night when they've never shown an interest in the lottery before.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The parents are trying to get their kid in a good private school and the head of admissions is visiting the family so everybody gotta be on their best behavior. SO naturally the whole family fukks up trying too hard to look good and their usual fukkery eventually comes out. Everything looks like it's gonna be a disaster, admission director's like "I believe I've seen enough :beli::mjpls:" but the usual goof gives a heartfelt speech about how even though their family is weird, they love each other and the kid comes form a great home.

Admission director is like ":jawalrus: I got ya. I come from a messy ass family myself anyway :mjlol: "

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Has food fights been done yet?

Two people are initially involved. As the tension gets thicker everyone is looking at the two involved waiting for the next move. One person misses their intended target. The person who gets the stray picks up a wad of food and aims it at the person who threw it. They duck. Another person catches a stray. A random person from across the room yells 'FOOD FIGHT!!' And cafeteria fukkery continues.
The adult sitcom variant is when an uptight character and goofy character are trying to cook for a special occasion. The ensuing fukkery winds up defusing the tension. Bonus points if they're the opposite sex:mjlit::shaq:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The Uncle/Aunt is coming over! They're usually way younger than the mom/dad they spend the episode reminiscing about the good times. One variant is the mom/dad immediately going:beli: and expecting a handout especially if he shows up announced (in which case they meet the kid first and they start chatting in the kitchen while the kid's all :gladbron:. And then when mom/dad comes home from work and sees them they try to hide their disappointment in front of the kid). However, the sibling's in some serious shyt this time and eventually mom/dad has to realize that family is all about having your sibling's back during the worst times. Occasionally it may end on a sour note.

The other version is when mom/dad couldn't be happier but eventually the kid finds out aunt/uncle is really there needing help. Mom/dad is all too happy to do so when they find out but just wishes they would've told them first. Sibling's like ":mjcry: You've been saving me since we were kids. I don't always want to depend on you" and mom/dad's like ":dahell:Nonsense, you'll always be my lil *nickname*"

"In that case can I drive your Mercedes too:mjlit:"

":ufdup:"

- Two male friends have a falling out, and their conversation when they make amends winds up sounding mad:dame: and they don't even realize it. A variant is if the guys aren't falling out but one of them them is a friend/relative of the main character's girl and their newfound friendship is cutting into his time with her so they gotta start hanging out less.

Bonus points if a bad chick overhears it and goes:scust: and they start copping pleas. Or a gay dude overhears it on some:shaq:

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
The Uncle/Aunt is coming over! They're usually way younger than the mom/dad they spend the episode reminiscing about the good times. One variant is the mom/dad immediately going:beli: and expecting a handout especially if he shows up announced (in which case they meet the kid first and they start chatting in the kitchen while the kid's all :gladbron:. And then when mom/dad comes home from work and sees them they try to hide their disappointment in front of the kid). However, the sibling's in some serious shyt this time and eventually mom/dad has to realize that family is all about having your sibling's back during the worst times. Occasionally it may end on a sour note.

The other version is when mom/dad couldn't be happier but eventually the kid finds out aunt/uncle is really there needing help. Mom/dad is all too happy to do so when they find out but just wishes they would've told them first. Sibling's like ":mjcry: You've been saving me since we were kids. I don't always want to depend on you" and mom/dad's like ":dahell:Nonsense, you'll always be my lil *nickname*"

"In that case can I drive your Mercedes too:mjlit:"

":ufdup:"

- Two male friends have a falling out, and their conversation when they make amends winds up sounding mad:dame: and they don't even realize it. A variant is if the guys aren't falling out but one of them them is a friend/relative of the main character's girl and their newfound friendship is cutting into his time with her so they gotta start hanging out less.

Bonus points if a bad chick overhears it and goes:scust: and they start copping pleas. Or a gay dude overhears it on some:shaq:

Boy Meets World went all the way with this. Cory and Shawn got treated like a gay couple in the later seasons. :russ: :skip:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Grandpa's in town but he and pops got a strained relationship. He spends all episode telling funny ass embarrassing stories to the rest of the family and they're all laughing, but then pops gets upset and brings down the mood. Bonus points if it comes to a head in family football/basketball.

His wife's like "You're being childish:ufdup:"

Eventually pops confronts his dad and is like ":mjcry: You were hard on me as a kid and here you come when I'm a grown man and still pushing me around."

Grandpa's like "I know I was hard on you but I expected a lot from you and you became a great, successful young man. Don't ever think I'm not proud of you, son.:to:" They hug and return to dinner/the game with dad all giddy like a kid. Extra bonus points if the show is typically about the kids/teens and this shyt comes out the left field :mjlol:. All the kids watching like ":russell: I don't care about pops' daddy issues"

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Damn, this is a good thread.

This may have been posted already:

Male character isn't very good at talking to women, so he's being coached by one of his buddies via earpiece while on a date. Somewhere along the conversation his buddy gets distracted and says something out of place like "Leave me the hell alone, lady"

The female date looks puzzled, and eventually the male character comes clean.

Mike the Executioner

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Damn, this is a good thread.

This may have been posted already:

Male character isn't very good at talking to women, so he's being coached by one of his buddies via earpiece while on a date. Somewhere along the conversation his buddy gets distracted and says something out of place like "Leave me the hell alone, lady"

The female date looks puzzled, and eventually the male character comes clean.

This is one of those plots that's a requirement for some sitcoms. :dead:

Bonus points if when the character's buddy gets distracted, he says some clearly off-the-wall shyt like "Stay away from me, you crazy animal" and the character repeats it without even questioning what they're saying. Or the buddy's walkie talkie picks up radio interference from the drive-thru at the local burger joint and the character ends up saying something like "Yeah, the Western Bacon Combo Meal comes out to $8.56?" :beli: