Political fight for "Little Haiti" district in Brooklyn

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
thanks to everybody for weighing in...very good points made in favor of and against the measure.
I made the thread before reading the article and still not sure how I feel

-guy quoted in the article using this issue to explain why Haiti is a "fourth world country" is a piece of shyt. Haiti and Haitians have many faults and shortcomings which have lead to the current condition of the country, but he was just looking for an excuse to shyt on Haitians

InaugurationEvents024.jpg

ernest skinner................a permanent loser

-Haiti is neither English speaking, nor Spanish speaking in a region where near EVERY country is one or the other....sort of a unique situation...I think only people from the few former Dutch colonies in the region could relate .You find yourself left out of "Caribbean" things. The idea that little Haiti would lead to little "english speaking island" or "spanish speaking island" ignores this point.

-though it sounds good, not sure what the overall benefit would be to the community or the merchants/business owners and not sure if this project is the best use of the Assemblywoman's time and energy

The fact that he said “fourth world country” makes his rant not worth listening to!

Intelligence isn’t part of his DNA

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
No it's not, the home ownership rate is 31% for east flatbush, for flatbush/midwood its 22.1%, and Crown heights/prospect heights it was 18.3%

Notice how you see other neighborhoods associated with the areas known for black people, and those areas are who make up a bulk of the homeownerships. Poverty rates are high for Flatbush(22.4%), east flatbush(14.9%), Crown heights(22.7%). The city average is 20%. With Crown heights its so high probably because a lot of Jews claim section 8, but they aren't necessarily poor. East flatbush did good because of white flight, so they were blessed to get those houses at cheap rates. The whites left as soon as blacks started filling up those Brownsville projects, and going to east ny.

I'm from Flatbush, and most people I knew lived in Apartments, and were getting by(not upperclass or dirt por), the houses in Ditmas park were owned mostly by white people. I think until black people acknowledge our issues, nothing will change for the better. I will say a good amount had co-ops, though.

Crown Heights/Prospect Heights Neighborhood Profile
Flatbush & Midwood PUMA, NY
East Flatbush Neighborhood Profile
Brooklyn Has Fourth-Lowest Rate of Homeownership in U.S., Study Discovers

The Victorian houses by Brooklyn college by Glenwood, Foster and Farragut are mostly owned by black people. I should know because I was born in one!

The highest home ownership for Caribbean people are the Caribbean hoods In Queens

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I was going to mention that a lot of the Haitian-American population is moving down-South; a good chunk of the population already has a solid education and an inherent comfort around other Black populations, trying to thrive in Georgia and Florida.
Again, this is all about money and how tight the ownership ties are in the Haitian community out there.

Florida is mainly retirees or for people who have a plan lined up. Like the article mentioned PA and GA is where the real Haitian growth is!

Also up in Boston a lot of the Haitian community is spreading to Rhode Island and New Hampshire!

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The fact that he said “fourth world country” makes his rant not worth listening to!

Intelligence isn’t part of his DNA
Gotta be consequences and repercussions to people insulting Haitians, otherwise the next person will feel comfortable doing it.

===
Shout out to the Brooklyn Haitians that used to come to Jersey and clap people who were bullying their cousins out here. Before we stopped being p*ssy and stood up for ourselves.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Gotta be consequences and repercussions to people insulting Haitians, otherwise the next person will feel comfortable doing it.

===
Shout out to the Brooklyn Haitians that used to come to Jersey and clap people who were bullying their cousins out here. Before we stopped being p*ssy and stood up for ourselves.

Lol hahha I always thought Haitians in NY/NJ didn’t see eye to eye with eachother lol. Specifically Irvington anyway!

truth2you

All Star
Daps
The Victorian houses by Brooklyn college by Glenwood, Foster and Farragut are mostly owned by black people. I should know because I was born in one!

The highest home ownership for Caribbean people are the Caribbean hoods In Queens
I know my family used to own one over there also, but that area isn't that huge compared to the areas mentioned. If you are talking about Midwood area, its still mostly white.

Queens has always been one of the best places for blacks to own land after white flight, since its mostly houses, you just better have a car to get to the city!

My grandmother lived out there so I used to always see Queens as a "down south" of NYC, next to L.I.

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Canarsie Flatlands Bedstuy :blessed:
Canarsie's stats tend to be combined with Flatlands so I'm not sure the actual numbers for it.

Flatlands, is a mixed area, but most of the blacks are Caribbean. I was just watching videos driving through there, reminiscing.

Bed-Stuy is a mix, but since a lot of black americans are leaving it may be more Caribbean, IDK the demographics now a days. I know it's getting gentrified heavy, though.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I know my family used to own one over there also, but that area isn't that huge compared to the areas mentioned

Queens has always been one of the best places for blacks to own land after white flight, since its mostly houses, you just better have a car to get to the city!

My grandmother lived out there so I used to always see Queens as a "down south" of NYC, next to L.I.

That’s a fact and a lot of people in Queens utilize the Long Island Rail Road which is funny cause the LIRR stations in Brooklyn are so empty that the MTA has been thinking of closing them and getting rid of the Atlantic line all together.

In queens the LIRR stations be packed with people. More pricey than the subway but also very quick!

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Canarsie's stats tend to be combined with Flatlands so I'm not sure the actual numbers for it.

Flatlands, is a mixed area, but most of the blacks are Caribbean. I was just watching videos driving through there, reminiscing.

Bed-Stuy is a mix, but since a lot of black americans are leaving it may be more Caribbean, IDK the demographics now a days. I know it's getting gentrified heavy, though.

Bed Stuy feels very African american to me still.

Awkwardly enough the West Indian group that ha lots of numbers there are people from Barbados!

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I didn't even know Hatians were in Flatbush like that, I just know its a carribean hot bed. I didn't think Haitians were that much of a overwhelming majority though.
Flatbush is the most Haitian neighborhood in the city i think
Canarsie, Flatlands, and East Flatbush are pretty much the only middle class majority black neighborhoods in Brooklyn.
East is kinda hood
thanks to everybody for weighing in...very good points made in favor of and against the measure.
I made the thread before reading the article and still not sure how I feel

-guy quoted in the article using this issue to explain why Haiti is a "fourth world country" is a piece of shyt. Haiti and Haitians have many faults and shortcomings which have lead to the current condition of the country, but he was just looking for an excuse to shyt on Haitians

InaugurationEvents024.jpg

ernest skinner................a permanent loser

-Haiti is neither English speaking, nor Spanish speaking in a region where near EVERY country is one or the other....sort of a unique situation...I think only people from the few former Dutch colonies in the region could relate .You find yourself left out of "Caribbean" things. The idea that little Haiti would lead to little "english speaking island" or "spanish speaking island" ignores this point.

-though it sounds good, not sure what the overall benefit would be to the community or the merchants/business owners and not sure if this project is the best use of the Assemblywoman's time and energy
the thing about Dutch Caribbean is we almost all speak English and Spanish and we are very small in number so its easy for us to clique up with Anglo/Spanish Caribbean.

i would defintely think a little Haiti will lead to a Little Jamaica at the very least.
Florida is mainly retirees or for people who have a plan lined up. Like the article mentioned PA and GA is where the real Haitian growth is!

Also up in Boston a lot of the Haitian community is spreading to Rhode Island and New Hampshire!
Florida is still the biggest Haitian community

i got fam in Flatlands, all black block mostly Haitians and othe Caribbean. although i don't know the boundaries that well