Political fight for "Little Haiti" district in Brooklyn

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Very strange considering the also active "Little Caribbean" movement also going in that general area. :patrice:

Little Caribbean NYC

Addressed earlier in the thread, in post 44.
I made reference to a quote in OP article by ernest skinner, disparaging Haitians.
As neither English speakers, Spanish speakers, Haiti sort of sticks out among the Caribbean umbrella. Because of bad economic conditions, Haitians have migrated to other islands for work, and often encountered discrimination/exploitation. skinner's comments are based on that discrimination

*Because of physical distance, and when we got independence, Haiti doesn't really have ties to the other French speaking islands either.

concise

Veteran
Daps
thanks to everybody for weighing in...very good points made in favor of and against the measure.
I made the thread before reading the article and still not sure how I feel

-guy quoted in the article using this issue to explain why Haiti is a "fourth world country" is a piece of shyt. Haiti and Haitians have many faults and shortcomings which have lead to the current condition of the country, but he was just looking for an excuse to shyt on Haitians

InaugurationEvents024.jpg

ernest skinner................a permanent loser

-Haiti is neither English speaking, nor Spanish speaking in a region where near EVERY country is one or the other....sort of a unique situation...I think only people from the few former Dutch colonies in the region could relate .You find yourself left out of "Caribbean" things. The idea that little Haiti would lead to little "english speaking island" or "spanish speaking island" ignores this point.

-though it sounds good, not sure what the overall benefit would be to the community or the merchants/business owners and not sure if this project is the best use of the Assemblywoman's time and energy

Addressed earlier in the thread, in post 44.
I made reference to a quote in OP article by ernest skinner, disparaging Haitians.
As neither English speakers, Spanish speakers, Haiti sort of sticks out among the Caribbean umbrella. Because of bad economic conditions, Haitians have migrated to other islands for work, and often encountered discrimination/exploitation. skinner's comments are based on that discrimination

*Because of physical distance, and when we got independence, Haiti doesn't really have ties to the other French speaking islands either.

The situations that brought Haitians here may be unique, but in Brooklyn, they don't have their own majority neighborhood. They live, and always have lived, with all the other islanders.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
The way the last few posts been about beef concerning who lives in Flatbush, and the naming of certain areas, is what I see happening more in the future

Until we have a proper conversation with each other as a race concerning unity, and how it’s expressed between us as different ethnicities living in the same place, it will always come across as competition with stuff like this. It’s sounds nice, but being “Caribbean” isn’t one monolithic thing, so beef will start once more focus is on one group from a certain country cause that is your lineage, not being Caribbean

I’m really seeing black people in America are the ones who dictate how the rest throughout the diaspora will move. Right now, we are falling fast, so I don’t see good for the rest of blacks in the diaspora

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Odd given that Haiti is not the only country that speak Creole.
Not odd in any way. If you take the top ten Caribbean populations in New York, or in the United States, they'd be English and Spanish speaking, with Haitians as the exception.

In NYC, the top five groups would be PR, JA,DR, TRINI , and Haitians. Not in that order probably, but those would be the top five....and probably 5 English speaking countries to round out the top ten.

A handful of the smaller islands and segments of people elsewhere speaking French or French Creoles doesn't negate what I typed.

Hungerpain

Banned
Daps
Thats whats up.
Now yall dont gotta come to north Jerz and flood our hoods no more.
Its full.