Political fight for "Little Haiti" district in Brooklyn

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was going to mention that a lot of the Haitian-American population is moving down-South; a good chunk of the population already has a solid education and an inherent comfort around other Black populations, trying to thrive in Georgia and Florida.
Again, this is all about money and how tight the ownership ties are in the Haitian community out there.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Ya'll celebrating useless political "victories", instead of actually OWNING the blocks. Oh god
Actually homeownership is relatively high in Brooklyn in the Caribbean community so good shyt on black people somewhere else buddy
Exactly that shyt is pointless. Flatbush is basically for the whole Caribbean.
Flatbush East flatbush and Crown Heoghts :blessed:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Why would they wait to now to do it? If they did this in the late 90's, early 2000's, the money would be piling up by now from tourists.

But to me it wouldn't be smart to divide all the Caribbean people up into their own "little ____", this is still America, and you are still seen as black, so its best to unite first, then do the separation. If you don't want to unite with black americans, at least unite with each other!

I wonder why can't black people see what is going on with them in this WORLD, especially this country, try to work as a unit, get some power, THEN focus on the specific groups. We always try to compare to others, and never see the real truths behind everything. All the "little ___" places in NYC have countries with strong power, and can speak for these people when they are treated wrong, not one black country can do the same! This is why police can mistreat black people, and get away with it, if they try that with any other group in these "little ___" the motherland would make a stop happen, or there would be trade repercussions.

The older I get, the more my dream of us getting power just slowly goes away, we don't seem to want to accept the situation we are in, and use or power in numbers to our advantage. Instead we have want to be liked, even if that means having crumbs on the table, and a foot in our ass.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Actually homeownership is relatively high in Brooklyn in the Caribbean community so good shyt on black people somewhere else buddy

No it's not, the home ownership rate is 31% for east flatbush, for flatbush/midwood its 22.1%, and Crown heights/prospect heights it was 18.3%

Notice how you see other neighborhoods associated with the areas known for black people, and those areas are who make up a bulk of the homeownerships. Poverty rates are high for Flatbush(22.4%), east flatbush(14.9%), Crown heights(22.7%). The city average is 20%. With Crown heights its so high probably because a lot of Jews claim section 8, but they aren't necessarily poor. East flatbush did good because of white flight, so they were blessed to get those houses at cheap rates. The whites left as soon as blacks started filling up those Brownsville projects, and going to east ny.

I'm from Flatbush, and most people I knew lived in Apartments, and were getting by(not upperclass or dirt por), the houses in Ditmas park were owned mostly by white people. I think until black people acknowledge our issues, nothing will change for the better. I will say a good amount had co-ops, though.

Crown Heights/Prospect Heights Neighborhood Profile
Flatbush & Midwood PUMA, NY
East Flatbush Neighborhood Profile
Brooklyn Has Fourth-Lowest Rate of Homeownership in U.S., Study Discovers

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
No it's not, the home ownership rate is 31% for east flatbush, for flatbush/midwood its 22.1%, and Crown heights/prospect heights it was 18.3%

Notice how you see other neighborhoods associated with the areas known for black people, and those areas are who make up a bulk of the homeownerships. Poverty rates are high for Flatbush(22.4%), east flatbush(14.9%), Crown heights(22.7%). The city average is 20%. With Crown heights its so high probably because a lot of Jews claim section 8, but they aren't necessarily poor. East flatbush did good because of white flight, so they were blessed to get those houses at cheap rates. The whites left as soon as blacks started filling up those Brownsville projects, and going to east ny.

I'm from Flatbush, and most people I knew lived in Apartments, and were getting by(not upperclass or dirt por), the houses in Ditmas park were owned mostly by white people. I think until black people acknowledge our issues, nothing will change for the better. I will say a good amount had co-ops, though.

Crown Heights/Prospect Heights Neighborhood Profile
Flatbush & Midwood PUMA, NY
East Flatbush Neighborhood Profile
Brooklyn Has Fourth-Lowest Rate of Homeownership in U.S., Study Discovers
Canarsie Flatlands Bedstuy :blessed:

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY
I didn't even know Hatians were in Flatbush like that, I just know its a carribean hot bed. I didn't think Haitians were that much of a overwhelming majority though.

ImGucci

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NY

Crown Heights is next on the gentrification list though, I know a lot of cacs at my job have already moved there cause they couldn't afford UWS anymore.
Bed Stuy has been gentrified heavily, I would be surpised if its still majority black.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
thanks to everybody for weighing in...very good points made in favor of and against the measure.
I made the thread before reading the article and still not sure how I feel

-guy quoted in the article using this issue to explain why Haiti is a "fourth world country" is a piece of shyt. Haiti and Haitians have many faults and shortcomings which have lead to the current condition of the country, but he was just looking for an excuse to shyt on Haitians

InaugurationEvents024.jpg

ernest skinner................a permanent loser

-Haiti is neither English speaking, nor Spanish speaking in a region where near EVERY country is one or the other....sort of a unique situation...I think only people from the few former Dutch colonies in the region could relate .You find yourself left out of "Caribbean" things. The idea that little Haiti would lead to little "english speaking island" or "spanish speaking island" ignores this point.

-though it sounds good, not sure what the overall benefit would be to the community or the merchants/business owners and not sure if this project is the best use of the Assemblywoman's time and energy

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Little Jamaica would actually be in the Bronx or maybe somewhere in East Flatbush.

Trinidad folks are too spread out for a little spot and Panamanians don’t have the numbers.

Even on Franklin Ave where Panamanians have their festival they aren’t the biggest islander group there.

And technically we have a Little Guyana which is located in Liberty Ave but it’s not officially a Little Guyana!

Richmond Hill in Queens is Little Trinidad