Phonte - No News Is Good News (DIscussion Thread)

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Mannnnnn I hate to be that guy .. but after listening to this one time I gotta say bruh .... I just can’t fukk with this production man :snoop:

It’s just so fukking soft and tempered it’s like I’m checking out an easy listening album man :picard: I’m not trying to hear no Quiet Storm old folks music man and it’s just too much of that on here for my first spin ... I will say that Phonte is in absolute rare form with the singing and the rhymes ... my god .. just filthy with the pen ... but sonically to me this album is suffering from a lot of what Life Is Good and Kingdom Come suffered from where the artist is trying to carve out this Adult Contemporary Rap space but the shyt just ends up sounding like Anita Baker leftovers .. smh

I want to hear Phonte spit over more of that “So Help Me God”/ “Cry No More” vibe but a lot of these tracks I struggled with sans Tay’s verbal wizardry ... hopefully it gets better with another spin

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
source.gif

This album is like the sunrise within a city. Phonte is always good for those grown man rhymes and this album didn't disappoint. Dude brought back the feeling of waking up for work in Philly to some underground/soul shyt in my Minidisc player:blessed:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Mannnnnn I hate to be that guy .. but after listening to this one time I gotta say bruh .... I just can’t fukk with this production man :snoop:

It’s just so fukking soft and tempered it’s like I’m checking out an easy listening album man :picard: I’m not trying to hear no Quite Storm old folks music man and it’s just too much of that on here for my first spin ... I will say that Phonte is in absolute rare form with the singing and the rhymes ... my god .. just filthy with the pen ... but sonically to me this album is suffering from a lot of what Life Is Good and Kingdom Come suffered from where the artist is trying to carve out this Adult Contemporary Rap space but the shyt just ends up sounding like Anita Baker leftovers .. smh

I want to hear Phonte spit over more of that “So Help Me God”/ “Cry No More” vibe but a lot of these tracks I struggled with sans Tay’s verbal wizardry ... hopefully it gets better with another spin

To be fair, Phonte haven't rapped on anything hard since LB broke up. This has always been his style even during those days as well:

Dude spent a portion of his rap career crooning and spitting gritty rhymes, so might as well fuse both ends of his style into one that fits him the most.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
To be fair, Phonte haven't rapped on anything hard since LB broke up. This has always been his style even during those days as well:

Dude spent a portion of his rap career crooning and spitting gritty rhymes, so might as well fuse both ends of his style into one that fits him the most.

I don’t have an issue with his crooning at all ... I like diversity in the skillset of an artist ... I’m strictly talking about the production being too light in the ass :dame: pause

Just even listen to those two songs you posted bruh ... listen to that first beat ... listen to that bass line ... listen to that grove section those drums ... you can feel that funk influence ... that shyt is still hitting even tho it’s melodic and he’s singing ... and then listen to that FE track :huhldup: that’s that quiet storm shyt that I just don’t feel ... I suppose that’s why I never really got into FE that shyt is straight up soft AF bro bro like sonically ... I feel like on this album he just took the sound of a FE album and spit on every track instead of singing ... some people obviously fukk with that but I’ve heard him over questo production and over 9th wonder production and I’m sorry bruh you can’t tell me he sounds better over these types of beats flat out :hubie:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

He had some gritty joints on CSAH.

But I mean yeah. He wanted to expand sonically outside of just 9th after Getback. Even on Leftback many of the Khrysis beats are sample free.

He was working with Nicolay in the early 00's and using a lot of similar sounds to what he's doing now.

He had a brief era of using some Soul Council production (9th and his crew) but usually when he's rapped over Madlib or Alchemist or Nottz it's been on a feature for someone else.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I don’t have an issue with his crooning at all ... I like diversity in the skillset of an artist ... I’m strictly talking about the production being too light in the ass :dame: pause

Just even listen to those two songs you posted bruh ... listen to that first beat ... listen to that bass line ... listen to that grove section those drums ... you can feel that funk influence ... that shyt is still hitting even tho it’s melodic and he’s singing ... and then listen to that FE track :huhldup: that’s that quiet storm shyt that I just don’t feel ... I suppose that’s why I never really got into FE that shyt is straight up soft AF bro bro like sonically ... I feel like on this album he just took the sound of a FE album and spit on every track instead of singing ... some people obviously fukk with that but I’ve heard him over questo production and over 9th wonder production and I’m sorry bruh you can’t tell me he sounds better over these types of beats flat out :hubie:
FE had a few bangers though. Not much after the first album though.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I must have missed this period of his career when Phonte was rhyming over "Griselda/Roc Marci" type production...hell, the shyt LB was rhyming over from 9th was different from beats he was giving to other artists, that's what always made their music stand apart from all the other shyt 9th was doing at the time(besides Phonte being a superior rhymer and writer than the other rappers he worked with).