Phonte - No News Is Good News (DIscussion Thread)

Lhark

Superstar
Daps
So far I can't see myself playing this outside of Change of Mind and So help me God, that last track is pretty nice too.

TezMilli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MD via Brick City
Mannnnnn I hate to be that guy .. but after listening to this one time I gotta say bruh .... I just can’t fukk with this production man :snoop:

It’s just so fukking soft and tempered it’s like I’m checking out an easy listening album man :picard: I’m not trying to hear no Quiet Storm old folks music man and it’s just too much of that on here for my first spin ... I will say that Phonte is in absolute rare form with the singing and the rhymes ... my god .. just filthy with the pen ... but sonically to me this album is suffering from a lot of what Life Is Good and Kingdom Come suffered from where the artist is trying to carve out this Adult Contemporary Rap space but the shyt just ends up sounding like Anita Baker leftovers .. smh

I want to hear Phonte spit over more of that “So Help Me God”/ “Cry No More” vibe but a lot of these tracks I struggled with sans Tay’s verbal wizardry ... hopefully it gets better with another spin

You aint the only one breh. This shyt is underwhelming and I'm a Phonte stan

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
I must have missed this period of his career when Phonte was rhyming over "Griselda/Roc Marci" type production...hell, the shyt LB was rhyming over from 9th was different from beats he was giving to other artists, that's what always made their music stand apart from all the other shyt 9th was doing at the time(besides Phonte being a superior rhymer and writer than the other rappers he worked with).
Nobody made this point or even infected something similar ... nikkas always gotta take some shyt to the extreme :snoop:

I clearly pointed out production vibes from this album that fit the motif I was talking about

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Mannnnnn I hate to be that guy .. but after listening to this one time I gotta say bruh .... I just can’t fukk with this production man :snoop:

It’s just so fukking soft and tempered it’s like I’m checking out an easy listening album man :picard: I’m not trying to hear no Quiet Storm old folks music man and it’s just too much of that on here for my first spin ... I will say that Phonte is in absolute rare form with the singing and the rhymes ... my god .. just filthy with the pen ... but sonically to me this album is suffering from a lot of what Life Is Good and Kingdom Come suffered from where the artist is trying to carve out this Adult Contemporary Rap space but the shyt just ends up sounding like Anita Baker leftovers .. smh

I want to hear Phonte spit over more of that “So Help Me God”/ “Cry No More” vibe but a lot of these tracks I struggled with sans Tay’s verbal wizardry ... hopefully it gets better with another spin

This shyt is lite weight. fukk yall listening too?! Especially after the albums, eLZhi, Black Milk, Evidence and Roc dropped.

Imma huge fan of Tay's and been waiting years for this and he drops some r&b inspired production instead of some hard shyt.

The joint wit Gibbs :snoop: How the fukk you put Gibbs on some weak r&b production when Gibbs is known for rocking over some fire. Don't even get me started on the fact Phonte didn't even rap on the song

I was ready to say yall bugging...but these joints are getting softer by the track :dead:

Breh might as well be singing on Such Is Life :russ:

LB rhymed over smooth shyt more often than not....but it wasn't as cotton candy as some of this here. nikka knew exactly what he was doing when he started off the album with So Help Me God.

Shame because lyrically, he hasn't lost a step at all.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
You aint the only one breh. This shyt is underwhelming and I'm a Phonte stan
Bruh I feel you .... I mean damn ...my Name is literally from the “5th and Fashion” skit off minstrel show ...I’ve been fukking with these nikkas from the beginning :jawalrus:

I feel ashamed that I can’t get jiggy to this shyt :snoop:

These nikkas man ... 9th / Tay / Pooh they need to figure this shyt out and get the band back together ... I’m tired of this bullshyt ... it’s been too gotdamn long :damn: