Phonte - No News Is Good News (DIscussion Thread)

Middle Finga U

Paper Chaser by Nature
Daps
Reppin
Melanated People Globally
This album and I'm fukkin with it HEAVY. The only (small) complaint I have about it was Gibbs feature feeling misused to me. Don't get me wrong I liked the song I just feel like that feature was out of place. I can hear him on So Help Me God. I'm buying this shyt!

Creasy

Pro
Daps
Not exactly my type, not as of rn at least, but that Gibbs verse was harrrd

TezMilli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MD via Brick City
This shyt is lite weight. fukk yall listening too?! Especially after the albums, eLZhi, Black Milk, Evidence and Roc dropped.

Imma huge fan of Tay's and been waiting years for this and he drops some r&b inspired production instead of some hard shyt.

The joint wit Gibbs :snoop: How the fukk you put Gibbs on some weak r&b production when Gibbs is known for rocking over some fire. Don't even get me started on the fact Phonte didn't even rap on the song

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This shyt is lite weight. fukk yall listening too?! Especially after the albums, eLZhi, Black Milk, Evidence and Roc dropped.

Imma huge fan of Tay's and been waiting years for this and he drops some r&b inspired production instead of some hard shyt.

The joint wit Gibbs :snoop: How the fukk you put Gibbs on some weak r&b production when Gibbs is known for rocking over some fire. Don't even get me started on the fact Phonte didn't even rap on the song
I sort of feel where you're coming from but if you take away the four 9th Wonder joints from charity starts at home the production sounds a lot like what's on here

Phonte is basically in my mind good enough as wordsmith to rap over a click/metronome track and I'd find it interesting.

The production really fukked me up on one listen and I didn't like it at all, because it was a little too polished for my taste. But maybe it's just because he's such a beast lyrically that I don't even give a fukk at this point.

I definitely wish I had two or three more traditional beats on there but I haven't heard this guy wrap solo in like six or seven years so I'm enjoying it.

Phonte wins. What can I say?

I'm also biased for sure. I 100% wouldn't argue with my typical coli beat-head brethren on here they said they weren't feeling the production on this. I'd probably not like most of the beats on a beat tape or with any other rapper on them.

Brandwin

Pro
Daps
^ same. With other rappers I'm probably not digging as much as I am because it's Phonte. I, like you, wish there were a few harder beats on there, but the album is damn good.