Philadelphia is a highly slept on city...

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Dont forget Philly has street signs that are nice enough to let you know what numbered block you are on
NEPC-frankford-and-cottman-street-sign.jpg
We got that too:russ:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I was born and raised there, right in West Oak Lane. Philly was my entire existence, it was all I pretty much ever knew until I left for college in the late 90s.

Sorry to say, I love it, and I visit my folks all the time, but the place is a dump. Sure there are some nice areas around WOL, Mt. Airy etc...and the burbs Mont. and Bucks County are very nice....but basically everywhere from Center City to Cheltenham Ave (North of Broad Street) looks like a straight slum. If you're on Broad Street heading onto the expressway and just look down...it looks like a fuking 3rd world country down there. Folks just sitting around doing nothing while the place falls apart with just trash everywhere. It's also one of the few places that seem to be suspended in time...it's the only place I literally see dudes standing on the corner hustling like it was the 80s. West Philly, South West Philly etc look like straight Depression Era living conditions. I remember hearing a few years back about how nikkas were stealing the damn Pothole covers and selling the metal for $50 a pop :russ:

Sometimes when I return and I'm driving down Broad Street between Limekiln Pike and say Erie Ave, I'm amazed how dilapidated and run down everything is. My parents grew upright behind Temple Univ at Broad and Venango, and that place looks rundown like Mogidishu or something. And I use to think that shyt was just normal...until I left and actually came back from seeing other cities.

They've improved some of the Center City area, but I don't care what anyone says, it's still boring as hell.. They're trying to rebuild the gallery and Woolworths closed down a few years ago....seems like the only thing they got going on down there is City Blue as far as the shopping area goes. One of the major jewels is King of Prussia though, that mall is BIG as fuk and always has been. I heard they're extending it as we speak.

Last edited:

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
I was born and raised there, right in West Oak Lane. Philly was my entire existence, it was all I pretty much ever knew until I left for college in the late 90s.

Sorry to say, I love it, and I visit my folks all the time, but the place is a dump. Sure there are some nice areas around WOL, Mt. Airy etc...and the burbs Mont. and Buck County are very nice....but basically everywhere from Center City to Cheltenham Ave (North of Broad Street) looks like a straight slum. If you're on Broad Street heading onto the expressway and just look down...it looks like a fuking 3rd world country down there. Folks just sitting around doing nothing while the place falls apart with just trash everywhere. It's also one of the few places that seem to be suspended in time...it's the only place I literally see dudes standing on the corner hustling like it was the 80s.

Sometimes when I return and I'm driving down Broad Street between Limekiln Pike and say Erie Ave and I'm amazed how dilapidated and run down everything is. And I use to think that shyt was just normal...until I left and actually came back from seeing other cities.

They've improved some of the Center City area, but I don't care what anyone says, it's still boring as hell.. They're trying to rebuild the gallery and Woolworths closed down a few years ago....seems like the only thing they got going on down there is City Blue as far as the shopping area goes. One of the major jewels is King of Prussia though, that mall is BIG as fuk and always has been. I heard they're extending it as we speak.

realest post in here imo

nikkaz was still smokin dirt out there 2 years ago

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
You bit it off of us though

And there's not as many in NYC as there are down here.

no you dont understand the definition of biting. biting means to copy.

we didnt copy, yall liscsened those brands out to get big

stewarts soda, herrs chips, rita icies etc are all around NYC

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Amazing city, went out there for vacation last summer and didn't want to leave...diversity, good food, walkable city with great attractions, can't say enough about that place.

Airfeezy

All Star
Daps
The people making negative comments obviously have never been to Philly either have never been here or never leave the hood and have no idea what's going on right now..like the OP said Phily is one of the few major cities left that you can purchase affordable homes in nice neighborhoods in close proximity to downtown although that is changing fast..a lot of Ny transplants coming buying up large house that are 350,000 here would be 2 mill or more in Ny...mix in some of the best restaurants and craft beer in the country you guys really don't know what your missing/talking about...check out northern liberties, univeristy city, graduate hospital area, fish town ,and chestnut hill and tell me the city isn't the best it's ever been

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
As a person born and raised in North Philly, no. It isn't.
I have no idea where these cats are talking about....I was there 3 weeks ago....my father's parents home is on the block right behind Zion Baptist Church. It looks like a blocks and blocks of haunted houses back there. I wish I had of taken some pics, i'd put them up.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)

Sorry to say, I love it, and I visit my folks all the time, but the place is a dump. Sure there are some nice areas around WOL, Mt. Airy etc...and the burbs Mont. and Bucks County are very nice....but basically everywhere from Center City to Cheltenham Ave (North of Broad Street) looks like a straight slum. If you're on Broad Street heading onto the expressway and just look down...it looks like a fuking 3rd world country down there. Folks just sitting around doing nothing while the place falls apart with just trash everywhere. It's also one of the few places that seem to be suspended in time...it's the only place I literally see dudes standing on the corner hustling like it was the 80s. West Philly, South West Philly etc look like straight Depression Era living conditions. I remember hearing a few years back about how nikkas were stealing the damn Pothole covers and selling the metal for $50 a pop :russ:

Sometimes when I return and I'm driving down Broad Street between Limekiln Pike and say Erie Ave and I'm amazed how dilapidated and run down everything is. My parents grew upright behind Temple Univ at Broad and Venango, and that place looks rundown like Mogidishu or something. And I use to think that shyt was just normal...until I left and actually came back from seeing other cities.

Did this nikka say City Blue nobody in the entire city shop there anymore. You see so out of touch about Philly.
I have no idea where these cats are talking about....I was there 3 weeks ago....my father's parents home is on the block right behind Zion Baptist Church. It looks like a blocks and blocks of haunted houses back there. I wish I had of taken some pics, i'd put them up.

I just don't understand all you dudes know is the slums every city has a damn slum. What yall expect an entire city to be fix which took 100 years to destroy those hoods won't be fix for a while because the people don't give a shyt and who goes in the hood. That's like saying London is awesome but rhe hood is shytty so the city is garbage wtf.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps

Sorry to say, I love it, and I visit my folks all the time, but the place is a dump. Sure there are some nice areas around WOL, Mt. Airy etc...and the burbs Mont. and Bucks County are very nice....but basically everywhere from Center City to Cheltenham Ave (North of Broad Street) looks like a straight slum. If you're on Broad Street heading onto the expressway and just look down...it looks like a fuking 3rd world country down there. Folks just sitting around doing nothing while the place falls apart with just trash everywhere. It's also one of the few places that seem to be suspended in time...it's the only place I literally see dudes standing on the corner hustling like it was the 80s.

Sometimes when I return and I'm driving down Broad Street between Limekiln Pike and say Erie Ave and I'm amazed how dilapidated and run down everything is. My parents grew upright behind Temple Univ at Broad and Venango, and that place looks rundown like Mogidishu or something. And I use to think that shyt was just normal...until I left and actually came back from seeing other cities.

Ehh....you talking about the hood though. Every city got hoods....hell in DC which is one of the safest places now going to Southeast is still a no go zone.

I grew up in Wilmington. Philly's a second home. Now I live in Chester County. I'm about to move into the city soon to be closer to work. I've been to other cities too. I wouldnt call Philly a dump, it just hasn't cleaned itself up yet while other East Coast cities have....how do you think NYC was in the 90s? Look at it now. DC was the murder capital in the 80s and 90s....now it's New York Jr. with all the yuppies and hipsters.

This was Columbia Heights (a popular DC neighborhood) pre-Gentrification

future-DCUSA-site-2005-e1359044982616.jpg

Now it looks like this :ehh:

1423-newton-condos.jpg

I see Philly going that route in another 10-15 years. Yall nikkas better buy property.

mcdivit85

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sound Reasoning
Philly in the building :blessed:

Like the OP said, Philly is a good value in terms of large east coast metro cities. No, its not cheap, but in comparison to overpriced cities like NYC and DC in the vicinity, its a good place to live. You can actually get a nice house in a trendy and/or nice neighborhood without losing your shirt.....not everywhere but most places. If you want to live in downtown/downtown vicinity neighborhoods like Rittenhouse Square or Northern Liberties or Graduate Hospital or Old City, then prepare to pay top dollar.

As far as women, there's enough attractive ones to go around. Philly may not have the best women, but dudes need to stop over hyping DC and NYC. I've been all throughout both. Per capita, they may have a few more attractive chicks but let these dudes tell it and its like Heaven. Stop. The reality is, Philly is a LARGE city with millions inside and outside the city limits. If you can't find an attractive chick to give you some cooperation, then you're a lame. And one thing about Philly chicks is they tend to be hard on lames, so I can understand lames not liking Philly chicks.

Also, like the OP said, Philly is in prime location since its literally surrounded by top metros. NYC is 90 minutes away. Baltimore is 2 hours away. DC is 2.5 hours away. Boston is 5 hours away. Toronto is 8 hours away. Montreal is 7 hours away. Beaches within 1-2 hours. Not to mention a large public transportation system if you don't have a car.

Great restaurants. Great arts. Great colleges and universities. Great scenery.

One thing I will say, in terms of drawing young professionals who want to live in a great city, Philly needs to do better with nighlife. Philly is one of largest cities in the country yet closes down around 11PM. Downtown is dead, on the weekends mind you, past 11PM. This is crazy to me since many other cities, some smaller in population with less to offer, are open with people walking around enjoying the city into the early morning hours.

Peace

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
They are pricing people out of the hoods in Philly. Temple is buying every damn thing in North Philly and they have a 20 year plan about to start at Broad and Erie. Drexel is extending across West Philly bottom all the way down Lancaster Ave.

Fishtown growth is spreading into Lower Kensington. I just don't see how you dudes don't see progress. Baffling