Phil Spencer Criticizes Sony For Forcing Customers to Double Dip On Late PC Ports

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's fanboy babble. There are people that prefer to game on a console and ones that prefer to game on a PC. They're separate.

If you prefer to game on a PC and own a console chances are it's for probably for access to exclusive games and outside of that you aren't meaningfully contributing value to their ecosystem revenue because you game on a PC when you can. If you're gaming on a PC and don't already own a PlayStation you aren't interested in buying one. You ain't gonna play a 2 year old late game that was praised and critically acclaimed years ago when it was released then change your mind.

You're saying the exact same thing I'm saying.

Sony gets to release on PS5, soak up sales and acclaim (assuming the game is good), and then introduce the game to a different playerbase with the momentum gained from the original release. Seems to be working for them, just like Microsoft's plan appears to be working for them too. When your ultimate goal is to get people into the GamePass ecosystem where they won't need to pay for the games anyway, there isn't really a point in staggering releases, unless they just aren't ready.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Sony gets to release on PS5, soak up sales and acclaim (assuming the game is good), and then introduce the game to a different playerbase with the momentum gained from the original release. Seems to be working for them, just like Microsoft's plan appears to be working for them too. When your ultimate goal is to get people into the GamePass ecosystem where they won't need to pay for the games anyway, there isn't really a point in staggering releases, unless they just aren't ready.

Its like they don’t even know what they want to argue anymore.

Are hardware sales as important for Microsoft as they are for Sony? We can all agree the answer is probably no. So what else is there to even debate here?

Also, its not “garbage” or “greedy” for sony to prioritize their own eco system, which is primarily Playstation consoles.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Until i see xbox console sales recover then I’ll continue to believe that pc gaming eats into console sales

There’s damn near a 20 million gap already between both platforms we’re not even 3 years into the generation
Xbox's problem isn't day 1 PC games. Xbox's problem is that Xbox Studios are a mess and they run them like a hands off rich money guy who lets them roam wild. There's 200 something odd total potential customers between Xbox and PlayStation on consoles and from generation to generation that number doesn't move much. It's been that way since about the Xbox 360 to PS3 generation.

I highly doubt a noticeable portion of those console gamers look at a gaming PC and think they'd rather do that. PC gaming is far more tedious and more for enthusiast.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Of multiplayer titles, if you think Ghost of Tsushima 2, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, etc. are gonna be on PC day one or even within a year you’re fooling yourself. Sonys bread and butter is getting people into their ecosystem through their single player games, and they only have one main entry point.

Horizon is already over a year old already and theres no pc announcement in sight. Ghost of Tsushima Might get an announcement this year, 3 years later.
That quote you keep posting says nothing about multiplayer games.

This is the double talk sony gets you hyped up with each time.

2-3 years is the sweet spot, but 60% of our games are gonna be day one on PC. :mjpls:

Stop arguing with me about it. Take it up with sony :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Xbox's problem isn't day 1 PC games. Xbox's problem is that Xbox Studios are a mess and they run them like a hands off rich money guy who lets them roam wild. There's 200 something odd total potential customers between Xbox and PlayStation on consoles and from generation to generation that number doesn't move much. It's been that way since about the Xbox 360 to PS3 generation.

I highly doubt a noticeable portion of those console gamers look at a gaming PC and think they'd rather do that. PC gaming is far more tedious and more for enthusiast.

Theres still a major overlap between enthusiast in console gaming and pc gaming. Again, look at the starfield thread, half the people playing it are gonna be playing it on PC, i have no doubt in my mind that more than HALF of those pc players would buy an xbox in order to play if it were exclusive.

Why do you think Nintendo will never put their games on anything but Nintendo hardware? They don’t even want to put mobile games on phones

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It’s clear to everyone involved they are two separate markets.

Day one PC sony exclusives aren’t gonna crater PS5 sales.

They don’t make money on hardware. The few people that would sell their PS5 and do all their gaming on PC are not very valuable customers to sony in the first place.
You keep saying this, but it's been inaccurate for a while now. They do profit off hardware sales, as well well as software.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You keep saying this, but it's been inaccurate for a while now. They do profit off hardware sales, as well well as software.

He’s gonna say its a lie, watch lol

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

If I waited 2 years for a game and it comes out at full price 2 years later I can keep waiting until it's dirt cheap. How many people are they losing out on that would have paid full price on release day but years later are patient enough to wait for massive price drops? Ratchet and Clank is $30 on PS5 right now. I'm not paying $70 for that same game 2 years later. Some will but the majority probably won't.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If I waited 2 years for a game and it comes out at full price 2 years later I can keep waiting until it's dirt cheap. How many people are they losing out on that would have paid full price on release day but years later are patient enough to wait for massive price drops? Ratchet and Clank is $30 on PS5 right now. I'm not paying $70 for that same game 2 years later. Some will but the majority probably won't.

You keep saying this as if Sony themselves aren’t aware of this. Sony is not ttying to take over the PC market, they are trying to spread brand awareness and get whatever additional sales it allows.

Sonys primary way of making money is selling software through their own store. They can only do that if you buy a ps5 or ps4 Until Sony open up their own PC Storefront no one should expect anything more than a half effort with their pc strategy

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

If they are still losing money on the discless version then they aren’t making much money on the one with the disc drive :comeon:

They making like $10 -$15 per console, and had to raise the damn price.

Hardware is not where they make their money. Stop with this nonsense :stopitslime:

A guy that plays all his games on PC and only buys a few sony exclusives is no more/less valuable to sony than a guy that doesn’t buy the console and just buys the the few exclusives on PC.

They’d get more money out of that guy if they just sold him the game full price day one on PC.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You keep saying this as if Sony themselves aren’t aware of this. Sony is not ttying to take over the PC market, they are trying to spread brand awareness and get whatever additional sales it allows.

Sonys primary way of making money is selling software through their own store. They can only do that if you buy a ps5 or ps4 Until Sony open up their own PC Storefront no one should expect anything more than a half effort with their pc strategy
If you are a PC gamer and own a PS5 and it's a PlayStation Studios box to you Is Sony really losing out if they simply engage you upfront on your platform of choice day 1? So they didn't sell you a PlayStation they instead got you to spend $70 upfront for games instead of getting keys for $20-$30 off CD Keys later.

Would they sell less consoles absolutely but the customers they lose out on there aren't valuable inside their ecosystem anyway because that PlayStation is simply an exclusive box.

Also Sony's primary way of making money is selling DLC and extra content through their store. They make more doing that than they do selling games. They make that money from customers who want to own a PlayStation not those who reluctantly buy one as an exclusive box and otherwise game on a PC.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If you are a PC gamer and own a PS5 and it's a PlayStation Studios box to you Is Sony really losing out if they simply engage you upfront on your platform of choice day 1? So they didn't sell you a PlayStation they instead got you to spend $70 upfront for games instead of getting keys for $20-$30 off CD Keys later.

Would they sell less consoles absolutely but the customers they lose out on there aren't valuable inside their ecosystem anyway because that PlayStation is simply an exclusive box.
Yep, you aren’t spending a ton of money in their ecosystem but you are contributing to brand awareness. If you buy a ps5 and only buy first party games you contribute to mindshare of the playstation brand. Even someone walking in your house and seeing this huge white tower on your entertainment center helps them. Thats something people don’t think about.

If you are spending money on sony products you are increasing the value of playstation. Playstation game ports are basically late stage promotional ads for the brand, not a way to make billions of dollars selling old games

Also Sony's primary way of making money is selling DLC and extra content through their store. They make more doing that than they do selling games. They make that money from customers who want to own a PlayStation not those who reluctantly buy one as an exclusive box and otherwise game on a PC.

You’re literally saying the same thing as me. Yes, sony makes most of their money through their store, they increase attention to their store through selling old games on other stores, like Nike