Peter Moore is still angry about Sony "FUDing" the Dreamcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dunno what being a former head has to do with anything, he was only at Sega 6 months before Dreamcast came out.

Which speaks to the level of incompetence at Sega. They hired a guy with zero video game experience to oversee the launch of their new console, 6 months before it was released.

And I dunno why you're "LOL" at the bootleg thing. DC used a custom version of Windows which meant people didn't even need a DC to play the bootlegged games. If you don't think that severely impacted it's sales, you're drunk.

And for the record I owned a Dreamcast day 1.

Fred.

:snoop:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You're around the same age as me, I think, so maybe you remember this.

What was the PC program places like Best Buy and Circuit City sold, that allowed you to bootleg DC games? It was literally an emulator, that let you bootleg and run DC games.
To this day I have no idea how the fukk that was legal. :gucci:

I'm saying not for video games, at that time. He had zero experience with them. Prior to Sega he was with Reebok if I remember correctly.

Fred.
Brooo. I remember that!. The name is leaving me right now. It’s gonna come to me when I’m not even thinking about it. Lol

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Brooo. I remember that!. The name is leaving me right now. It’s gonna come to me when I’m not even thinking about it. Lol

I'm saying. shyt like that was on the shelves, somehow legal, but cats are blaming Sony. :dahell:

Fred.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Bro. For them to blame Sony is asinine and stupid. The fact that Sony tried to team up with them after Nintendo fukked them over. For the American division to agree and have Sony get shyt moving just for the Japanese division of the same company to dub the shyt is all u need to know about the state of Sega as a company at the time. They were in fighting. And like I said before. Unlike Sony. They were outright shytting on PlayStation in their advertisements.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sony stans are wild.

Making all kinda excuses, when a former head is telling you Sony brilliantly used FUD against them.

Something they still do to this day, anyone who pays attention to gaming "seriously" should see it unless they are a Stan.

From letting devs and publisher know they'll be or could be serious consequences for making a game exclusive or how it would be much more beneficial to them to make sure a game has some sort of exclusive tied with it or it not being "shown or pushed" at all by them.

At that's just behind the scenes.

But yeah the system didn't sell because you could bootleg games:mjlol::mjlol:

Some of you live in your own reality, i swear

And i had a PSX, dreamcast, xbox, and ps2

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
You're around the same age as me, I think, so maybe you remember this.

What was the PC program places like Best Buy and Circuit City sold, that allowed you to bootleg DC games? It was literally an emulator, that let you bootleg and run DC games.
To this day I have no idea how the fukk that was legal. :gucci:

I'm saying not for video games, at that time. He had zero experience with them. Prior to Sega he was with Reebok if I remember correctly.

Fred.

Alcohol 120%

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bro. For them to blame Sony is asinine and stupid. The fact that Sony tried to team up with them after Nintendo fukked them over. For the American division to agree and have Sony get shyt moving just for the Japanese division of the same company to dub the shyt is all u need to know about the state of Sega as a company at the time. They were in fighting. And like I said before. Unlike Sony. They were outright shytting on PlayStation in their advertisements.

Y'all are talking about the public marketing side of things.

The actual FUD was Sony moving behind the scenes, which then translated to the public.

I remember reading and speaking with individuals that actually went to E3 and spoke with publishers and devs at the time and them speaking on how cut throat Sony is.

Sega and Dreamcast didn't just fail because of that though. I'm not saying that and he's not saying that.

I mean Microsoft basically FUDs people to death when it comes to all there products so it's fair game.

I'm just saying when y'all wonder why people dislike Sony as a company especially older heads that have really been in gaming it's because we've watched them move.:manny:

Same reason some people hate MS because they remember how they use to move.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Y'all are talking about the public marketing side of things.

The actual FUD was Sony moving behind the scenes, which then translated to the public.

I remember reading and speaking with individuals that actually went to E3 and spoke with publishers and devs at the time and them speaking on how cut throat Sony is.

Sega and Dreamcast didn't just fail because of that though. I'm not saying that and he's not saying that.

I mean Microsoft basically FUDs people to death when it comes to all there products so it's fair game.

I'm just saying when y'all wonder why people dislike Sony as a company especially older heads that have really been in gaming it's because we've watched them move.:manny:

Same reason some people hate MS because they remember how they use to move.
I'm 35 and stanned the Dreamcast and been on game message boards discussing games with other gamers since the mid 90s.

This 'those who were around back then know what Sony did' shyt is bullshyt.

Dreamcast failed for a multitude of reasons. Launched too early, no bluray, no second analog stick, poor advertising/marketing decisions by Sega as time went on, bad money management by Sega.

Mix all that with Sony having blu ray, having two analog sticks, stealing the momentum with a later launch, better marketing, more money, and one of the greatest libraries of all time. Yea that's why Dreamcast died.

Don't lie to these young kids and act like the hardcore gamers were mad at Sony for some underhanded crap. We mostly blamed Sega for their own missteps at the time.

I was rooting for Sega big time. I still remember 9/9/99 like it was yesterday. Raising pets on the VMU and all that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Dreamcast bootlegging was egregious. They really fukked up on that front.

I used to buy Dreamcast games from one of the security guards at school.

looking back that was all fukked up. Dude was trying to go to jail.

But yeah, he would sneak us into the security office and sell us any Dreamcast game for $10

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm 35 and stanned the Dreamcast and been on game message boards discussing games with other gamers since the mid 90s.

This 'those who were around back then know what Sony did' shyt is bullshyt.

Dreamcast failed for a multitude of reasons. Launched too early, no bluray, no second analog stick, poor advertising/marketing decisions by Sega as time went on, bad money management by Sega.

Mix all that with Sony having blu ray, having two analog sticks, stealing the momentum with a later launch, better marketing, more money, and one of the greatest libraries of all time. Yea that's why Dreamcast died.

Don't lie to these young kids and act like the hardcore gamers were mad at Sony for some underhanded crap. We mostly blamed Sega for their own missteps at the time.

I was rooting for Sega big time. I still remember 9/9/99 like it was yesterday. Raising pets on the VMU and all that.
Disagree, the fact that you remember the 9/9/99 advertising push and all the vmu media push says a ton.

And I also don't think your average old head fan cared nor paid attention around that time nor hardcore.

I sure didn't care at all at that time, but it was understood and talked about. On top of that Sony released the PS2... Ain't nobody was worried about " FUD" or tactics with PS2 getting all the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.