Pete Rock set to sue Nas over "World is Yours" royalties

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's this here.

Most people in the business know, Pete isn't exactly the most-liked guy in the culture. He's pretty much always been miserable, but he's publicly shown it a ton over the past two decades or so. He would be on the air saying wild things about Nas when he had Future Flavas with Marley. Always seemed to honestly hate Nas, for whatever reason. But he's made millions of questionable moves and comments against other artists and producers over the years. Just never seemed like he's ever been happy. So a lot of the shyt that CL was saying about him, has kinda come to light since they broke up. Including how Pete is in serious need of some money. I don’t think this suit goes anywhere for him. No other producer on the album seemed to have any issue with payments from Columbia/Sony. Why would Pete be singled out? Doesn't make any sense.
What was he saying on Future Flavas about Nas? Never heard that.

MurderToCassette

Sa Da Tay
Daps
Reppin
I am comfortable and I love you
GOAT hip-hop interview. To this day I'm not even sure if it was a real interview or not, but I never have, and never will, read a funnier example of someone simultaneously praising yet completely excoriating someone else as CL did that day. :whew:

I kept that quote in my SOHH handle for years, lol.

Oh its real :mjgrin:

https://allhiphop.com/features/cl-smooth-broken-atoms/

"CL Smooth is the biggest s**t on your project and you are a walking contradiction, man. We don’t have to sling no more mud. Make my beats, f****t!"

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
What was he saying on Future Flavas about Nas? Never heard that.

When Marley was playing the "On The Real" track that he was working on for Nas, people kept calling in and saying they wanted to hear it again. So he was playing it every Sunday. On repeat. Marley would hit the button, and the Fat Albert "lay some treats on us" drop would come on, and Pete would always have a comment about them playing Nas again. Dude literally said one time, "We gotta play that again?" And then said he was going to the bathroom. About a year later, he was on there pushing his unauthorized remix for "Street Dreams". But he's always made little comments about Nas here and there.

That's actually what got Marley kicked off of It Was Written. Nas said Marley was leaking records, and putting other people on them without his permission. He was supposed to do the whole joint. Like what he did for LL, according to Nas. But after that, Stoute brought in Tone and Poke.

Last edited:

erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
When Marley was playing the "On The Real" track that he was working on for Nas, people kept calling in and saying they wanted to hear it again. So he was playing it every Sunday. On repeat. Marley would hit the button, and the Fat Albert "lay some treats on us" drop would come on, and Pete would always have a comment about them playing Nas again. Dude literally said one time, "We gotta play that again?" And then said he was going to the bathroom. About a year later, he was on there pushing his unauthorized remix for "Street Dreams". But he's always made little comments about Nas here and there.

That's actually what got Marley kicked off of It Was Written. Nas said Marley was leaking records, and putting other people on them without his permission. He was supposed to do the whole joint. Like what he did for LL, according to Nas. But after that, Stoute brought in Tone and Poke.

Say what now? A Nas x Marley Marl album in 1996 would have been epic. What could have been...
:ohhh:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Say what now? A Nas x Marley Marl album in 1996 would have been epic. What could have been...
:ohhh:

That would've been crazy! Marley still had a lot of heat in the mid-90's. Nas spoke on this a few times over the years:

"“I wanted to make a street album with Marley Marl,” Nas told Complex. “I looked up to him as an inventor of so many styles of hip-hop music. I loved what he did with LL Cool J on Mama Said Knock You Out. And being from the same hood, I thought the second album had to be with Marley.”

“After a while, some of my songs appeared as promos on the radio with all kinds of nikkas rapping on them—meanwhile, I hadn’t even finished working on the song for my album,” Nas recalled. “I had a song called ‘On the Real’ that I didn’t finish, and before I could, I’m hearing it on the radio with people rapping on it. I couldn’t understand that. I was hurt and I knew I couldn’t work like that.”

“So, I had to rethink my whole album. I didn’t know what to do at that point because if I couldn’t do it with Marley, I didn’t have a plan B. I had to figure out something else, so me and Steve Stoute sat together and had a meeting.”"

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Thanks.
Never knew this. So that's why the song sounded fuzzy, like a demo.
On the version I remember, Cormega had the best parts.

Now I'm hearing that it was a solo Nas record, that Marley was throwing people on?

Wow

erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
That would've been crazy! Marley still had a lot of heat in the mid-90's. Nas spoke on this a few times over the years:

"“I wanted to make a street album with Marley Marl,” Nas told Complex. “I looked up to him as an inventor of so many styles of hip-hop music. I loved what he did with LL Cool J on Mama Said Knock You Out. And being from the same hood, I thought the second album had to be with Marley.”

“After a while, some of my songs appeared as promos on the radio with all kinds of nikkas rapping on them—meanwhile, I hadn’t even finished working on the song for my album,” Nas recalled. “I had a song called ‘On the Real’ that I didn’t finish, and before I could, I’m hearing it on the radio with people rapping on it. I couldn’t understand that. I was hurt and I knew I couldn’t work like that.”

“So, I had to rethink my whole album. I didn’t know what to do at that point because if I couldn’t do it with Marley, I didn’t have a plan B. I had to figure out something else, so me and Steve Stoute sat together and had a meeting.”"

Thanks for posting man, never knew this. Still crazy to think about. Marl definitely still had some juice in the nineties.

Daps
Oh its real :mjgrin:

https://allhiphop.com/features/cl-smooth-broken-atoms/

"CL Smooth is the biggest s**t on your project and you are a walking contradiction, man. We don’t have to sling no more mud. Make my beats, f****t!"

I can still remember sitting at my computer reading that interview for the first time damn near 20 years ago. I just about fell out of my chair laughing at the part where CL was clowning him about not brushing his teeth.

:dead:

I don't know how the fukk they ever managed to do shows or record together after this interview. At a bare minimum CL woulda had to catch these hands after dishing out a level of embarrassment of that magnitude on the record.

:pachaha:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I can still remember sitting at my computer reading that interview for the first time damn near 20 years ago. I just about fell out of my chair laughing at the part where CL was clowning him about not brushing his teeth.

:dead:

I don't know how the fukk they ever managed to do shows or record together after this interview. At a bare minimum CL woulda had to catch these hands after dishing out a level of embarrassment of that magnitude on the record.

:pachaha:
Watching rap group members feud publicly is hard.
When we were kids and saw singing acts do it, seemed so corny to us. Was naive to think that rap acts were different.

Daps
It’s mad corny how nikkas coming in attacking nikkas talking about they worship Nas for no fukkin reason. Damn near everyone in this thread said Pete Rock deserves money if it’s owed to him.

Bro, I got nothing against you personally and I respect you and your knowledge of hip-hop as a poster. In general, you're a positive contributer to most topics of discussion around here, which I appreciate, but STOP IT. You know good and goddamn well the frustration with the Nas fanbase on here extends well beyond this specific situation of Pete Rock bringing up some lawsuit out of the blue.

It shouldn't have to be explained that some of us exaggerate the level of dedication to an artist others have for the purpose of some good natured ribbing and jokes (it's the fukking Coli man. If getting called a "stan" is the worst you experience on here you've made out better than 99% of posters do). But the bare bones in all seriousness fact is that any topic where Nas is the subject of criticism..... will....... without failure, attract dudes on here that refuse to entertain the possibility of having those critiques be given even mild validation. Or they will go to absurd lengths to seemingly protect Nas's reputation or decision making process by finding fault with whichever artist is juxtaposed against Nas. And YOU happen to be one of the main culprits of that behavior.

You can't write off what plenty of other posters have observed about this very same phenomenon by saying we're all:

Nas haters (Nas is one of my favorite artists in any genre)

Jay stans (that DEFINITELY doesn't apply to me, lol)

Bitter "out of touch old heads" (Nas is damn near 50 :dahell:)

Or whatever else is commonly used to dismiss us. Yeah, some people do just shyt on Nas and his fans for sh*ts and giggles around here, but that's the minority.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Bro, I got nothing against you personally and I respect you and your knowledge of hip-hop as a poster. In general, you're a positive contributer to most topics of discussion around here, which I appreciate, but STOP IT. You know good and goddamn well the frustration with the Nas fanbase on here extends well beyond this specific situation of Pete Rock bringing up some lawsuit out of the blue.

It shouldn't have to be explained that some of us exaggerate the level of dedication to an artist others have for the purpose of some good natured ribbing and jokes (it's the fukking Coli man. If getting called a "stan" is the worst you experience on here you've made out better than 99% of posters do). But the bare bones in all seriousness fact is that any topic where Nas is the subject of criticism..... will....... without failure, attract dudes on here that refuse to entertain the possibility of having those critiques be given even mild validation. Or they will go to absurd lengths to seemingly protect Nas's reputation or decision making process by finding fault with whichever artist is juxtaposed against Nas. And YOU happen to be one of the main culprits of that behavior.

You can't write off what plenty of other posters have observed about this very same phenomenon by saying we're all:

Nas haters (Nas is one of my favorite artists in any genre)

Jay stans (that DEFINITELY doesn't apply to me, lol)

Bitter "out of touch old heads" (Nas is damn near 50 :dahell:)

Or whatever else is commonly used to dismiss us. Yeah, some people do just shyt on Nas and his fans for sh*ts and giggles around here, but that's the minority.
That minority is always the loudest and always in every thread on Nas stirring up some shyt and then resort to “Nas Stan’s” when they get called out. I’m speaking on this thread specifically. Most people in this thread said Pete Rock deserves money if it’s he’s owed but the circumstances don’t really make sense so people are questioning it. And this goes for if it’s Nas or any other artist. Pete Rock also has a history of bitterness and fukk shyt when it comes to the business side of things. Nas ain’t the first artist he’s tried to sue or accuse of some shyt unfairly. Especially when we got the actual info and dude is credited on everything. The first thing nikkas is doing is coming in the thread calling out “Nas Stan’s” and saying nikkas is in here worshiping him. Which is an insult to the posters in the thread who questioning the validity of Pete Rock’s statements so of course imma call that shyt out. This ain’t about other threads. It’s about what’s happening in this one. And if anyone wants to come in this thread to get their rocks off at “Nas Stan’s” than expect people to respond to that accordingly.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
"Getting" out of control? LOL, breh, this shyt been full blown off the rails with no brakes for years now on The Coli.

Nas is one of my absolute favorite MCs of all time and I objectively think he's the greatest to ever do it, but it's beyond stannery with a huge portion of his fans on here.

ANYBODY. I don't give a fukk who it is, what they've achieved, or what they've contributed to hip-hop. You even appear to be slighting Nas, his moves, or his music in some fashion, and you WILL get that work from some of his zealots. NO EXCEPTIONS. :ufdup:

Posters sometimes even preemptively attack artists minding their own damn business that haven't even said anything regarding Nas if their names are brought up in a Nas discussion or album thread, simply to attempt to elevate Nas at the moment.

The only fanbase that even remotely comes close to this type of behavior online are the Pac stans. And as intolerable as they can be, at least in their slight defense, since the man is dead maybe they feel compelled to defend someone who can't speak up or explain his decisions on his behalf.
@FunkDoc1112 and I were in the Magic thread just talking shop re: beatmaking and we ended up giving some constructive criticism to Hit-Boy's production (which we both love; we're Hit-Boy fans) and a few people really seemed to think we were hating in there. I pointed out that Madlib and Alc are my favorite producers and I still have various opinions on their beats too. I don't know why it's not okay to have some critiques here and there for artists and producers that you are a fan of.

I guess I'm saying I know what you mean. And FWIW I posted dozens of posts praising that album in that Magic thread :whoa:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
not suing Nas, suing the publishing company. Click bait title to cause division.
I think this is incredibly likely.

And all the time people maintain good relationships during lawsuits. I worked for a company and we got sued by one of our clients, who was suing us to cover damages as they were being sued by a 3rd party. The 3rd party blamed the doctor, and the doctor thought the problems were our responsibility.

We worked with the doctor regularly before, during, and after the lawsuit, and there were no hard feelings.

Business is business. Not everyone takes it personal.