Pete Rock set to sue Nas over "World is Yours" royalties

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Like I said in my post, in this case, Sony was the distributor for Illmatic, through Columbia Records. Nas doesn't have anything to do with it.

Pete's royalties should've been registered by him or legal counsel with his publishers back in '94, when these songs went to tape. Same way, Q-Tip did a hook and beat on "One Love" and Paul did joints and also spoke on a track, those royalties come from them registering their works with their respective publishers. So when the album starts selling, and today, starts getting streamed and downloaded, they get paid for their contributions. I'm not sure why it's always just Pete that doesn't seem to get paid from these situations, but everyone else is always straight, but that's another story. It just seems like his business is never on point. Primo, Tip and Paul never had any issues with this album. He was easily my favorite producer from '92-'94, but he always seemed to have issues with his money and how he handled business.

Aight thanks for clarifying, think I'm getting it now. So Pete and his lawyer go to Sony asking for these royalties and they tell them to go talk to Nas who has nothing to do with distribution (which makes sense, why would an artist have anything to do with distro?). Something def weird going on here.

Last edited:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Hmmm . . . I do know if you aren't posted as someone who needs to get paid royalties for a song when it is initially registered with a publishing company they don't go back in time and pay royalties if you try to correct it in the present. I know RBX from. Death Row a few years ago was trying to say he wrote a lot of songs from The Chronic but wasn't registered as a song writer at the time. He didn't get anything.

Yeah, it's a lot harder to make the case 30 years later, lol.

When it comes to production, producers usually have masters of the tracks, or stems to prove they're the original composers. With writing, it's a lot harder because anyone can say they wrote something for someone else. You'd have to be able to show that, which people have been able to more recently, with sessions being recorded and all. Like how the dudes from New Ark sued Lauryn for Miseducation. Thing is, they sued her the same month the album dropped after seeing they weren't credited for their work. They also had footage of them giving her songs and tracks, that she took credit for. She ended up having to settle with them for 5 million because they registered their work with their publisher but Columbia didn't have anything on the books that even said they existed. The artist or producer has to make sure their publisher has those works filed. Right away. That's the most important component here.

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The song finally went gold a couple years ago and Pete caught wind of that shyt and want his money. I don’t see why Nas Stan’s getting mad at Pete for wanting his money if this is even true

Nas Stan’s are by far the worst fan base on the coli. 2pac Stan’s ain’t got shyt on Nas Stan’s

Lebron and. Brady and Drake Stan's are the worst but you do have a point and I have Nas as the goat not saying this is on him

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, it's a lot harder to make the case 30 years later, lol.

When it comes to production, producers usually have masters of the tracks, or stems to prove they're the original composers. With writing, it's a lot harder because anyone can say they wrote something for someone else. You'd have to be able to show that, which people have been able to more recently, with sessions being recorded and all. Like how the dudes from New Ark sued Lauryn for Miseducation. Thing is, they sued her the same month the album dropped after seeing they weren't credited for their work. They also had footage of them giving her songs and tracks, that she took credit for. She ended up having to settle with them for 5 million because they registered their work with their publisher but Columbia didn't have anything on the books that even said they existed. The artist or producer has to make sure their publisher has those works filed. Right away. That's the most important component here.

PR didn’t even write the hook. Nas wrote it and coached PR on how to perform.

I’m curious to see how this get resolved because all this music biz shyt is purposefully made to be confusing as hell.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
PR didn’t even write the hook. Nas wrote it and coached PR on how to perform.

I’m curious to see how this get resolved because all this music biz shyt is purposefully made to be confusing as hell.

Truth, but Pete is looking for royalties that speak to the performative portion of the hook, lol. It's a little weird because I never saw anyone else that did hooks and the beats, on Illmatic ask for extra bread for hooks, but hey, with Pete this is kinda how he does shyt.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Truth, but Pete is looking for royalties that speak to the performative portion of the hook, lol. It's a little weird because I never saw anyone else that did hooks and the beats, on Illmatic ask for extra bread for hooks, but hey, with Pete this is kinda how he does shyt.

This is really interesting from a business perspective. Do all performers have to pay for performing a song with someone on the hook even if they wrote the hook? What about collabs verses? Some artists perform verses or let the crowd perform verses from collaborators.

Like I said before, from a business perspective, this is very interesting.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Since this album "meant so much" and featured "super producers" , shouldn't they be super compensated?

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Since this album "meant so much" and featured "super producers" , shouldn't they be super compensated?

Have you heard anyone else who worked on the album complain about compensation? Why is it only Pete who completely got railroaded? Not saying he's lying...just saying, it seems strange. I think he's received royalties for his production but he's looking for "extra" on top of that because he's on the hook...or nah? I aint read or click nothing on this, Pete always gave me cornball vibes anyway, respectfully. Wasn't he with Nas BM or some goofy shyt like that? I remember people postin the excerpts from shorty book in here, I think something like that happened. Instead of Nas getting his wig pushed, which would have been easy to do, maybe he just got him back on the royalty shyt, lol.

Last edited:

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Have you heard anyone else who worked on the album complain about compensation? Why is it only Pete who completely got railroaded? Not saying he's lying...just saying, it seems strange. I think he's received royalties for his production but he's looking for "extra" on top of that because he's on the hook...or nah? I aint read or click nothing on this, Pete always gave me cornball vibes anyway, respectfully. Wasn't he with Nas BM or some goofy shyt like that? I remember people postin the excerpts from shorty book in here, I think something like that happened. Instead of Nas getting his wig pushed, which would have been easy to do, maybe he just got him back on the royalty shyt, lol.
Just because no one spoke publicly don’t mean it didn’t happen

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I haven't gave a shyt about Pete since he hated on swizz. But that's a different topic