THEY OUT HERE SAYING LATINOS
CREATED HIP HOP WITH BLACK
AMERICANS AND ITS A LIE.

SAME PPL WHO CREATED JAZZ, BLUES, ROCK,
R&B ETC DIDN'T NEED ANY HELP
CREATING HIP HOP.
:devil:
:evil:

Then a clear distinction needs to be made between creator and pioneer/contributor but I doubt its possible

vino

Superstar
Daps
Your 1980s focus is meaningless. It's moot.

Everyone else in the thread has already provided info to refute from the inception on. I made it clear what I cared about (for me personally)

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Everyone else in the thread
fukk everyone else. You bringing up hip hop in the 80s and pretending that the MC was at the forefront being the "meat of hip hop" in the 70s disqualified you from speaking on shyt.

vino

Superstar
Daps
fukk everyone else. You bringing up hip hop in the 80s and pretending that the MC was at the forefront being the "meat of hip hop" in the 70s disqualified you from speaking on shyt.

It is the meat of hip hop. It’s the only thing going strong. An MC was there in the 70m’s and the MC has evolved. It continues to keep the lights on for Hip hop and that’s fact

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Hip hop was considered more than rapping. There was a time when the DJ was the main draw not the MC. Graffiti and breakdancing were also considered main parts of hip-hop.

But yeah, rapping is what brought it out of NYC and into the world.
These are supposed hip hop historians, yet don't know this. Bet they don't even know Debbie also played a part and Run DMC used to dress similar to Melle Mel, Bambatta to.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
That shyt is dumb as fukk.

The dynamics in this city back then is that the Black and Rican underbelly spurred the most organic art movements in this city.
That's why NYC is corny as fukk as it is now. We no longer are the ones pushing the culture from underneath the cac agenda here.
I wholeheartedly concur. People claiming Ricans help create Hip Hop is “dumb as fukk”, friend.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Hip hop was always welcomed in Rican communities. Who gives a fukk about Tariq's cherrypicked documentary.

simply not true, that same Rican community less than 20 years earlier tried to smother out the Latin Boogaloo movement because it was too "black"

nnMVHZy.jpeg

2aAclyT.jpeg

but if you want an even closer perspective to the truth: These are the cats that Dj Charlie Chase was running with prior to getting into HipHop

In 1976 Tito and Macho were members of the RCA Rockmasters, a crew of Puerto Rican teenagers based near the Tremont section of the Bronx around 180th street and Southern Boulevard. Like many crews during the period, RCA started as a group of fun-loving disco dancers.

Unfortunately, as the group got larger, they began acting more like a street gang. Tito and macho were not comfortable being in a gang, so they convinced several members to quit RCA and form their own crew. "One night we all went to Belmont Park," said Tito. "We made a big pile with our RCA sweatshirts and burned them. Then we started thinking about a new name. I said, 'how about "Rockwell"?' Everybody liked that, so we became the Rockwell Association".

The group included Willie, Carlos, Victor, Hector, Pops, Rubberband, George, and Shorty. They were a Puerto Rican crew when communication between blacks and Puerto Ricans was somewhat limited. Both groups were into music and dance, both threw block parties, but the similarities stopped there. Puerto Ricans played disco music, while blacks played hard-core funk. Puerto Ricans dressed in flower-print shirts and pointy-toe shoes and danced the Hustle, while blacks wore bell-bottoms and sneakers while breakdancing. However, around 1977, a Puerto Rican deejay named Charlie Chase helped bring about a merger of the two styles.

"From 1974 to 1977 I was in a band at Alfred E. Smith High School", said Charlie Chase. But then I got interested in deejaying. There was a crew around my house called the Monterey Crew. They were the first crew that I saw getting into the b-boy style. They didn't do any fancy cutting with their music, but they played 'Just Begun.' So, I started doing a little degassing. My friends would say, 'Okay Charlie, here's your turn to play your black music,' and I would get fifteen minutes to do my thing. When I was on the set, everybody would dance and my friends couldn't understand why."

Willie Will was 16 at the time and had just learned to break dance. "Pops taught me," he said, referring to a friend a year younger than himself. "He learned from the Zulus. They had one dancer

named Chopper who was real good. Breaking was like a hobby. We'd go into the hallway and practice until three or four in the morning. Get drunk. Fight. There was nothing else to do. I don't know where the spinning came from, but it was out in 1976. The Zulus had footwork, headspins, backspins. We used to break on the concrete in Belmont Park. If you did a backspin, you'd only spin around once or twice. Everybody was in crews and the crews would break against each other. First the whole crew would dance and then the best two from each crew would go down".

After developing the dance for over five years, many blacks grew tired of breaking and had stopped by 1978. Some got into the Hustle or the Freak. Others did the Electric Boogie, a robotic mimelike dance popular in California and down South. However, the Puerto Ricans were just getting breaking and had no intentions of giving it up. Saint Martin's, a Catholic Church located on Crotona Avenue, began sponsoring breaking battles in their gymnasium with the local priests acting as judges. Well-known crews participating in the battles included The Disco Kids (TDK), the Apache Crew, Star Child La Rock, and TBB.

^^that comes from an interview they did in the 1980s that appears in this book

s-l1600.webp

some additional context to what Charlie Chase experienced with those same people

2I8KqFI.jpeg

ZSqBlpA.jpeg

this guy below, was from that crew, and had this to say

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Bro this is inconsequential to the truth so its a stupid talking point. Nobody gives a fukk about your personal beef with tariq

It has nothing to do with the content of his documentary. Stop trying to make people care about that. How you feel about tariq isnt important

If you care about hip hop then you would care about the truth of its history being told. Its just that simple

Im not bypassing the testimony of the pioneers just because nikkas have a personal vendetta with tariq lol
And this is what it all boils down to. These dudes are obsessed with Tariq & derail every discussion with this no matter what. But when you call them out on it, they try to spin it into something else but no one's fooled. It's why I'm not responding to any of those goofies lol

Last edited:

vino

Superstar
Daps
These are supposed hip hop historians, yet don't know this. Bet they don't even know Debbie also played a part and Run DMC used to dress similar to Melle Mel, Bambatta to.

You can check my post. I clearly have stated those elements were Hip hop. You all are just trying morph what I said because you have failed to refute a lot of these posters facts

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I wholeheartedly concur. People claiming Ricans help create Hip Hop is “dumb as fukk”, friend.
They helped push it in this city. They welcomed it and became a part of the culture. Hip Hop wasn't embraced in Riverdale miles away from the South Bronx.

Why do yall want us to ignore that they were open to our culture when other groups in this city weren't early on?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Then a clear distinction needs to be made between creator and pioneer/contributor but I doubt its possible

I don't think so. You can say that Aframs created hip-hop but also Puerto Ricans and Jamaicans were pioneers/very very early contributors. Not difficult at all.

But this clear up for me, Afram brehs. Seriously, no jokes. If DJ Kool Herc is Jamaican and his party and his DJing is what officially started hip-hop in 1973. Then why is it wrong to say that Jamaicans/Carribeans created hip-hop?