“People Who Downplay Latinos Role In Hip Hop Are SO STUPID” - KRS-One

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't disagree about rap fortifying hip-hop, but 1979 is later than the "beginning" that's being used to discredit Caribbean/Latin contribution.

5 years before this, the MC was not as important as the DJ.

In Harlem it was

In the Bronx it became the most important part as bboy'n was considered played out by 1976/1977

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
fukk what KRS-ONE talking about. You know what the common denominator between damn near every genre that’s been popular over the past 100+ years is…black people. Even the very Puerto Ricans he’s trying to shoehorn into some integral role in hip-hop wouldn’t even have their very “own” genres if it wasn’t for black people. nikkas been giving the world it’s sauce since time immemorial.​

You know many parts of Puerto Rico are more AFRICAN than much of Jamaica right?
Holding onto African beliefs and customs more so than many Jamaicans right?
Are DARKER in complexion than many Jamaicans right?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I ain’t crying I’m making a correlation to your break in logic.

Your other stuff been refuted ad nauseum in this the
What "other stuff?"

Niqqa, shut the fukk up. You are useless.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
It's not about the message, it's the messenger. I have co signed that Black Americans created Hip Hop from jump...No problem with that but when I point out that Tariq has attempted to bring his personal diaspora war into Hip Hop...all of u who claim to care for Hip Hop ignore that part. I've given numerous examples how how he has a beef with West Indians, Caribbeans and Africans outside of Hip Hop. He has been on this 'separating ethnicities' kick for a few years and that's not a thing in Hip Hop.

Lets be real here....can u honestly say a person who has a bunch of Youtube thumbnails on his page where Africans and West Indians look like 4ch@n caricatures is a good representation for Hip Hop? Seriously...when has this photo ever been a thing in Hip Hop? Ya'll seem to keep ignoring that part and it exposes ya'll for not really caring about the culture.

Bro this is inconsequential to the truth so its a stupid talking point. Nobody gives a fukk about your personal beef with tariq

It has nothing to do with the content of his documentary. Stop trying to make people care about that. How you feel about tariq isnt important

If you care about hip hop then you would care about the truth of its history being told. Its just that simple

Im not bypassing the testimony of the pioneers just because nikkas have a personal vendetta with tariq lol

NYC Rebel

Daps
You know many parts of Puerto Rico are more AFRICAN than much of Jamaica right?
Holding onto African beliefs and customs more so than many Jamaicans right?
Are DARKER in complexion than many Jamaicans right?
My uncle who just passed away was one of the biggest Yoruba priests in the world, straight from Ile-Ife the cradle of Yoruba civilization.

E2-E61-FD2-94-C5-4-FCA-83-DE-D10140215-C7-D.jpg

He was named the Araba of Puerto Rico and the US by the former Ooni (King) back in 2013.

We buried him last weekend. The amount of Puerto Ricans who flew in to Atlanta to send him off.

Bruh....these niqqas online don't know shyt you're talking about.

Last edited:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Hip hop was always welcomed in Rican communities. Who gives a fukk about Tariq's cherrypicked documentary.

Let's take a look at the best disco record company (outside of Gamble & Huff) of the 70s....the NY based Salsoul Records. It was called Salsoul because New York Ricans who were listening hardcore to soul music and combined it with salsa. All they did was sign artists Skyy, Double Exposure, First Choice, Joey Battan, and others. that Rican/Black movement was already in the music coming out of as early as 1974, and that was outside of hip hop.

I don't give two shyts what they 125th street scammer in Tariq is selling yall. The Rican/Black movement in this city long had a working relationship around music and hip hop culture. The dance the hustle came from Puerto Ricans. After the gang truce in the early 70s, Ricans and Blacks got up together and weren't pushing back against each others culture.

Mannnn, fukk Tariq uptown ass selling bullshyt.
You keep making it about Tariq but I'm telling you it's folks like Coke La Rock, Sha Rock, Melle Mel, and Grandmaster Caz on it that's giving us the deal on how shyt went down. Tariq is an afterthought in this discussion.

But I guess you could say fukk them too and fukk anybody that was there and doesn't have views that correspond with your second hand understanding of the origins of hip hop :manny:

NYC Rebel

Daps
Look at you. Did you not read through these pages of threads?
No one refuted a thing "I" said.
fukk are you talking about? Salsoul didn't exist?
I noticed you are a dumb can't talk for yourself negro so you need my points to be refuted by other statements, which you can't bring up or post. :camby: Done talking to you.

vino

Superstar
Daps
No one refuted a thing "I" said.
fukk are you talking about? Salsoul didn't exist?
I noticed you are a dumb can't talk for yourself negro so you need my points to be refuted by other statements, which you can't bring up or post. :camby: Done talking to you.
The threads about Latino and hip hop. You came talking about the history as though that led credence to the discussion at hand. Which is they had no parts in creating hip hop. They were guest in what was created.

NYC Rebel

Daps
You keep making it about Tariq but I'm telling you it's folks like Coke La Rock, Sha Rock, Melle Mel, and Grandmaster Caz on it that's giving us the deal on how shyt went down. Tariq is an afterthought in this discussion.

But I guess you could say fukk them too and fukk anybody that was there and doesn't have views that correspond with your second hand understanding of the origins of hip hop :manny:

They argue that Ricans didn't create hip hop. Who doesn't agree with that? They didn't. But there were there. They welcomed hip hop. I saw with my own two eyes how they were always amongst us growing up as a kid in both the Stuy and Crown Heights. I'm one of the older heads in here. I saw way too much Rican/Black cohesiveness coming up, seeing it on the streets and in the music here.

so yall really think things stopped with Salsoul?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I'm old enough to have seen my boys make it to the Roxy for a part on Beat Street where my people battled hella Rican crews before coming in third place. Old enough to know that Bushwick and Wiliiamsburg, both Rican neighborhoods, welcomed hip hop as my people performed in park jams there. Old enough to see my boy the late Sugarshaft of X-Clan spray an entire train car with two other Rican kids he linked up with.

Why are you all adamant in making Ricans out to be Bensonhurst and other cac neighborhoods who didn't give a damn about our artform?

Yall really letting an uptown clown in Tariq give you some crap lessons on hip hop? Hip hop isn't all rap. It was called waking up everyday and living the NY experience and way too many outta towners are bringing in the latino experiences of where they are from to our experience.

After the gang truce in the early 70s, Rican and Black neighborhoods opened up to each other because there was a real epiphany that all we had was us. It's the only real Black and Brown movement I saw transpire in this country, so please...fukk all that shyt from you flyover city ass niqqas speaking on hip hop and its origins.

We KNOW Blacks created hip hop, but Ricans were on the ride with us and always welcomed it unlike Bronx neighborhoods like Riverdale who wanted no parts of it. Rican hoods were always shouted out when hip hop call outs were done. They were there.

Not true! Here is one of the leaders of the Imperial Bachelors (south bronx latino gang) talking about that MYTH

Flash talking about gangs were still heavy after that time period of the truce

also, the younger brother to the founder of the first Latino Bboy crew:

SIR NORIN RAD:"Willie Will (legendary Puerto Rican B-Boy from Rockwell Association) told me about how we was introduced to that original Black B-Boy Style of dancing which you referred to as The Go Off in 1976 by a B-Boy called Chopper that was down with the Zulu Nation. What was the relationship between TBB and the Zulu Nation? Was there any kind of contact at all?"

ABY:"Again, I was younger. I was too young to even understand the difference between Black and Puerto Rican. But to my brothers...to the older guys there was a barrier....there was a line between Blacks and Latinos. I mean look at the gangs back then...the Black Spades were all black and then you had the Ghetto Brothers which were all Latinos....so there was a division at first. I remember the Zulu Kings only from late 1976/77 that's when we really got involved. That's also when Batch had his meeting with the Zulu Nation..1977. TBB and members of the Zulu Nation they used to have rumbles.....they would fight against each other. Whatever jam they went to they would rumble. If there was a jam and TBB was chilling there and all of a sudden some one threw hands Batch would summon TBB Joe's division who was known as the warlord division meaning thay handled all the rumbles or one on one fight make sure no one jumped in !! . One of the first black DJs that I ever met was Lay Lay. He was from Fun PM City Crew and they was all black but they was kool cause they were from the block.We never had problems in 129 Mapes Pool. Lay Lay would get cutting and we would start dancing !! Back then we danced more with the girls than against each other .. But when we heard "It's Just Begun" or Babe Ruth "Mexican" or "Bongo Rock"... forget about it! Floor rockers hit the flooooorrrrrrr,!!! Cypher set and battles was for respect not money .. You had to be there to truly understand and smell the air and feel the excitement when the cat you was battling burned you the last time and you been practicing all week long for the moment you let it all out on the concrete ... Damn miss em days ."

^^he's talking about black/rican beef, deep into the late 1970s. Talks more about it here

NYC Rebel

Daps
The threads about Latino and hip hop. You came talking about the history as though that led credence to the discussion at hand.
It DOES have credence.

It's HISTORY that hip hop was more than just the music. It was breaking. It was graf. It was all those things. It was waking up everyday to our NYC existance. And I'm supposed to forget that Rock Steady came all the way to Crown Heights to battle my people in 82?

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
My uncle who just passed away was one of the biggest Yoruba priests in the world, straight from Ile-Ife the cradle of Yoruba civilization.

E2-E61-FD2-94-C5-4-FCA-83-DE-D10140215-C7-D.jpg

He was named the Araba of Puerto Rico and the US by the former Ooni (King) back in 2013.

The amount of Puerto Ricans who flew in to Atlanta to send him off.

Bruh....these niqqas online don't know shyt you're talking about.

I think that is one of the biggest issues we have here.
The thinking that Ricans all or even mostly look like Fat Joe.
The thinking that a Rican like Fat Joe will not PROUDLY tell you he has dark skin family members.
That ricans were fighting side by side with blk groups against white supremacy.

As I said earlier, a blk new yorker would have more in common with a Rican like Fat Joe than a Caribbean person.
There is a long history.

And in Puerto Rico they do not play with their African traditional beliefs.
Excellent post.

NYC Rebel

Daps

NAH THIRSTY ASS nikkaS AND bytchES
DID THAT shyt FOR POTENTIAL
SPICY CAC SEX AND ACCEPTANCE

LOL @ BROWN.

BLACKS ARE BROWN.

:devil:
:evil:

You outta town dudes really take your baggage to speak on shyt.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Exactly, can’t name one because Prince Markie Dee was considered the first one.

Puerto Rican may have done some break dances or graffiti but they weren’t instrumental in the meat of Hip Hop. The part that catapulted hip hop.

Hip hop was considered more than rapping. There was a time when the DJ was the main draw not the MC. Graffiti and breakdancing were also considered main parts of hip-hop.

But yeah, rapping is what brought it out of NYC and into the world.