“People Who Downplay Latinos Role In Hip Hop Are SO STUPID” - KRS-One

vino

Superstar
Daps
All I know is Latinos & black folks in NYC been around each other since hiphop began,now idk if they helped create it or not, but it’s obvious that they were apart of it in some form or fashion since the beginning.

and let’s not act like they weren’t in one of hiphops most hiphop type of movie scene ever lol

Using a movie to base your reality on is wild, especially when you have interviews from actual people. Act like movie don’t utilize embellishments when creating scenes.

deacon 12

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
ohio
Oh you trolling?

Yes sir/maam, Ricans been coming to NY and having sexual intercourse/friendships/families/neighbors with Blk Americans for hundreds of years

Point?

Many many many many New Yorkers are a Blk American/Rican mix going back to the 19th century

So YES, they been in the mix
And are a part of the mix
And are BLACK PEOPLE
Look up the 13th amendment Playa Pahtnah Pimp

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
But what you probably don't know is, Black American youth were doing this in the early 70's where there were no PR's. The documentary Microphone Check goes into this & gives those pioneers their credit & actually interviews them

@IllmaticDelta one of your students you been teaching history for years is making a fool of himself again.
Please educate your student.

Can you agree that you told your student false info about how long Ricans and Blk Americans been intertwined?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta one of your students you been teaching history for years is making a fool of himself again.
Please educate your student.

Can you agree that you told your student false info about how long Ricans and Blk Americans been intertwined?

In the 1970s, Ricans and blacks weren't connected like that

They were not in HipHop like that until the Gangs faded out by the late 1970s because prior to that, it was BEEF between black and latino youth who were of the same ages as the guys that were involved in HipHop

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Latinos did not play any significant role in hip hip, I don’t give a damn what KRS-One said. People in this thread saying “I’m not gonna argue because he was there,” but they can’t name a thing the Latinos contributed to the culture. Wasn’t nobody sampling Latino music. There weren’t any Latino rappers back then. The most you can say is they were around due to proximity, but they weren’t involved in helping to create and establish it.

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
But what you probably don't know is, Black American youth were doing this in the early 70's where there were no PR's. The documentary Microphone Check goes into this & gives those pioneers their credit & actually interviews them

okay, like I said, idk if they helped in the original CREATION of hiphop and all of its elements, but to act like they weren’t apart of it since the beginning stages of hiphop is crazy.

So if it wasn’t ANY Latinos around when it started, when did they come around?

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
On the whole? Nah, I don't agree with that

This part is true to some extent and has happened.

see above

Of course it happens.
To what extent?

The weirdo you agreeing with is trying to position Ricans/Caribbean people as opposing to each other
If you been anywhere those people are
You would know it is not true

Rican/Caribbean/Blk American people UNITE and HAVE SEX wherever they are

Why lie that there is conflict amongst the groups?

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
In the 1970s, Ricans and blacks weren't connected like that

They were not in HipHop like that until the Gangs faded out by the late 1970s because prior to that, it was BEEF between black and latino youth who were of the same ages as the guys that were involved in HipHop

Did you grow up with Ricans?
You seem to be speaking of all this from a youtube perspective

Ricans and Blk Americans been MIXING/BREEDING/UNITING for over 200 years

Even during the 70's they were greatly united against white supremacy

Do you know what you talking about?

GAngs are usually kids and teens
Please do not talk about them
thanks

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
Using a movie to base your reality on is wild, especially when you have interviews from actual people. Act like movie don’t utilize embellishments when creating scenes.

so when that movie came out, was black folks in NYC hiphop community upset about it?

was black folks upset about the planet rock video showing Latinos break dancing in that video?

and has any respected Latino from the old school era of hiphop ever say that Latinos CREATED hiphop?

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
okay, like I said, idk if they helped in the original CREATION of hiphop and all of its elements, but to act like they weren’t apart of it since the beginning stages of hiphop is crazy.

So if it wasn’t ANY Latinos around when it started, when did they come around?
Some trickled in in the mid to late 70's & by the 80's there were a lot more. You need to get your hands on that blu-ray to see the doc bro. The originators explain this & it's backed up by the people that were actually there

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Not true. In the Bronx scene that was true because they only started off with bboys and music. In Harlem, they had the rappers and the fashion. The big soundsystems really was a Queens and Brooklyn thing.

The most important aspect/element that turned "HipHop" into an actual global movement was the Rapper.

2ZQeagw.png

1AR7uU5.png

09csEIK.png

63dwmpk.jpg
I don't disagree about rap fortifying hip-hop, but 1979 is later than the "beginning" that's being used to discredit Caribbean/Latin contribution.

5 years before this, the MC was not as important as the DJ.