“People Who Downplay Latinos Role In Hip Hop Are SO STUPID” - KRS-One

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I’m not putting him on a pedestal. I’m saying he’s more qualified to speak on something he saw firsthand compared to a bunch of us who weren’t

Pete Rock and KRS were actually there for Hip Hop’s inception. Their opinion should be taken seriously.

How does any of this benefit him?
KRS - Born in BROOKLYN. Was single digit age (6-8) when these events were happening.

Pete - Younger than KRS. FOH.

If you won't watch Microphone Check, let me sum it up for you: the people that were REALLY THERE, Bronx NATIVES in their 60s and up ALL agree: THE FOUNDERS WERE BLACK. Caz, Melle Mel, Debbie D, Sha-Rock, Busy Bee. Everyone that matters who is still alive aside from Herc, Flash and Bambaataa, and ALL their stories line up the exact same way.

Benefit? Teaching/speaking engagements are how he makes a living. Who pays for that shyt? Outsiders.

/THREAD

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Capture54.jpg

Everyone knows that Tariq's M.O. is to repeatedly change his focus and positions to serve his current interests. He reinvents himself every 5 years to match whatever the current grift is, and then expects people to still take him seriously. No one even wants to talk about what they "learned" from his new movie, they just talk about what they think he "proved" with his movie. Documentaries about hip hop used to be cool and interesting, now they're a combat sport entirely designed to win an argument and virtue signal.

I don't even get why shyt like this matters so much to Tariq. I didn't found hip hop. Tariq didn't found hip hop. There were Puerto Ricans who were instrumental in the early days of hip hop long before anyone on this board was involved with it. Whether we acknowledge their presence or not matters.....why? Whether we acknowledge the Jamaiicans and other islanders who were important in the early days matters....why?

vino

Superstar
Daps
Everyone knows that Tariq's M.O. is to repeatedly change his focus and positions to serve his current interests. He reinvents himself every 5 years to match whatever the current grift is, and then expects people to still take him seriously. No one even wants to talk about what they "learned" from his new movie, they just talk about what they think he "proved" with his movie. Documentaries about hip hop used to be cool and interesting, now they're a combat sport entirely designed to win an argument and virtue signal.

I don't even get why shyt like this matters so much to Tariq. I didn't found hip hop. Tariq didn't found hip hop. There were Puerto Ricans who were instrumental in the early days of hip hop long before anyone on this board was involved with it. Whether we acknowledge their presence or not matters.....why? Whether we acknowledge the Jamaiicans and other islanders who were important in the early days matters....why?

What are their names and what were they instrumental in doing?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
:stopitslime:

U are playing dumb again.

Forget some made up Block Party....Lets go back to the actual lyrics of South Bronx which is where this convo started:

It was seventy-six to 1980

which means, KRS was aged 11 - 15

Now lets look at what he said he witnessed

Remember Bronx River, rolling thick
With Kool DJ Red Alert and Chuck Chillout on the mix
When Afrika Islam was rocking the jams
And on the other side of town was a kid named Flash
Patterson and Millbrook projects
Casanova all over, ya couldn't stop it
The Nine Lives Crew, the Cypress Boys
The real Rock Steady taking out these toys

Now if you want to pretend like a 14 or 15 year old couldn't walk around the BX by himself and witness these things then you yourself would be out of touch as well. I was going back and forth from The Bronx to Harlem and back by 13 courtesy of the #19 bus so U cant tell me otherwise.

LOL @ u playing dumb posting videos for imaginary block parties while ignoring what KRS actually said. You tried it.

:sas1:
There were people there that were older than him and fully participating in all of it, thats saying otherwise. All of his o.gs are saying hes wrong which makes your point so ridiculous lol
im taking that over 12 year old kris :mjlol:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

It matters because getting our history right matters.

You guys act like it was tariq himself spitting information. He had pioneers in there that have never been recored before. People ive been around,being from the bronx, that never got their flowers or recognition. This is easily the most historically accurate documentary on hip hop ever released

hating on this is absurd

Im all for romanticized "we are the world" accounts, just not at the expense of my culture

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom

Maaaaan. I saw the docu at the SVA theatre when it premiered downtown. I thought it was dope. Felt there were a few things off and noticed there was a thread on the docu on The Coli....I went in that Microphone Check thread and was bombarded by a bunch of posters who didn't even see the docu telling me I was wrong for pointing out certain discrepancies. Turns out that the thread was just one big "Lets suck Tariq off" fest with zero focus on what was actually in the docu ....How dare I come in there and speak on certain things I felt were off a bit. Dudes were in that thread and in this thread swearing Tariq got it 100% right and exact without even seeing the docu...real twilight zone type shyt. I don't enter these threads to suck Tariq off like they do...I defend Hip Hop as a culture and if something is off I speak on it. These Tariq worshippers would rather crucify you for not worshiping him along with them over actually speaking about Hip Hop as a culture and it's history.

deacon 12

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
ohio
All I know is that when you see early hip hop footage you can see PRs all in the mix. Even if they didn’t actively participate which Idk if they did or didn’t. The crowd itself was just as important in the formation of hip hop along with every other element
Dumb Ass:skip:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Maaaaan. I saw the docu at the SVA theatre when it premiered downtown. I thought it was dope. Felt there were a few things off and noticed there was a thread on the docu on The Coli....I went in that Microphone Check thread and was bombarded by a bunch of posters who didn't even see the docu telling me I was wrong for pointing out certain discrepancies. Turns out that the thread was just one big "Lets suck Tariq off" fest with zero focus on what was actually in the docu ....How dare I come in there and speak on certain things I felt were off a bit. Dudes were in that thread and in this thread swearing Tariq got it 100% right and exact without even seeing the docu...real twilight zone type shyt. I don't enter these threads to suck Tariq off like they do...I defend Hip Hop as a culture and if something is off I speak on it.
You enter all the threads to hate, which is bytch made and weird.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
What are their names and what were they instrumental in doing?

You're playing with the outdated "Great Man" view of history that pretends history is a series of major figures emerging out of nowhere to create something totally unique on their own. That's the simplistic shyt you pick up from schoolbook history cause they like easy narratives. Real art, especially music and especially hip hop music, has always been formed by entire communities of people involved together and playing off of each other. There were Puerto Ricans in the b-boy and graffiti scenes before anyone in those scenes even had a public name like that. Guys like Crazy Legs were taught to break dance by Puerto Rican and Black dancers who were older than he was. There were Puerto Ricans grooving in the crowd at those DJ Kool Herc parties - hell, Joe Conzo Jr. took some of the early pictures of the scene cause he was there. DJ Disco Wiz had an impact in the 1970s, but it's not like he was the first Latino to step into the scene, we're never going to know the name of every participant like that. And why do you even care? Seriously, other than a thing to argue over and divide people on, what are you going to get out of this at all?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Maaaaan. I saw the docu at the SVA theatre when it premiered downtown. I thought it was dope. Felt there were a few things off and noticed there was a thread on the docu on The Coli....I went in that Microphone Check thread and was bombarded by a bunch of posters who didn't even see the docu telling me I was wrong for pointing out certain discrepancies. Turns out that the thread was just one big "Lets suck Tariq off" fest with zero focus on what was actually in the docu ....How dare I come in there and speak on certain things I felt were off a bit. Dudes were in that thread and in this thread swearing Tariq got it 100% right and exact without even seeing the docu...real twilight zone type shyt. I don't enter these threads to suck Tariq off like they do...I defend Hip Hop as a culture and if something is off I speak on it. These Tariq worshippers would rather crucify you for not worshiping him along with them over actually speaking about Hip Hop as a culture and it's history.
which showing did you go too

And you never detailed anything being wrong about the documentary

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is easily the most historically accurate documentary on hip hop ever released

You say that as if you are in any position to judge at all. :dead:

As I said before, the fact that Tariq always comes up with these positions AFTER they fit his agenda, and not before, makes nothing he puts out trustworthy like that. Have you EVER seen Tariq put out something that goes against his current narrative? He always shapes the material to fit his current agenda, and leaves out or distorts any information that doesn't fit that. I haven't seen this one nor am I in a position to break down the specifics because I'm not a hip hop historian myself, but his previous Hidden Colors documentary had all sorts of misinformation in it. Why should I expect this to be any different?

How would you even know this was the "most historically accurate documentary" if there haven't been any accurate ones previous to this? Are you a hip hop historian? :skip: