People are getting nostalgic over 2011 WWE now

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
In '09, they had like a new Smackdown Six... it was Punk, Jericho, Jeff, Mysterio, Morrison, and Ziggler... they were all puttin' on dope matches together in different combinations every week.

This, though that was pretty much a carryover from 08. There were a lot of good things from that crew, but come 2010, that was history

Last edited:

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
0BDK2JM.gif

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

:skip: these wack ass stages

Honestly, these stages are a lot easier to look at than the tacky shyt they have now. Looks like a glorified award show every week. :unimpressed:

And I said this before, but back then, PPV stages were unique. They put more effort into the presentation. SummerSlam had a movie theater set because it was called "The Biggest Blockbuster of the Summer." Cyber Sunday was a cell phone because that year, you had to text a number to vote on the stipulation. Armageddon was a medieval castle, Unforgiven had the five screens because of the Championship Scramble, Survivor Series got a redesign. Every PPV felt like an entirely different show.

Now, the only time they do that is with WrestleMania. And they have the money to do it every month, they just don't want to.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
It’s the equivalent to 400 YouTube hits Juice World and NBA Youngboy get

lol I’m sayin..

I work with a 22 year old who remembers shyt like The Great Khali and Santino fondly. Man was talking about Khali debuting against Undertaker like it was incredible on some “back in my day” shyt

And I’m just sitting there like fam, that’s one of the worst periods in history

all I take from it is that I’m no longer the target audience, and this shyt is magic to the children who watch it

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
I remember when WWE revealed those sets in early 2008 and most fans bemoaned their existence because they killed the distinct character of each show. Guess you don't know what you don't know. :yeshrug:

I wonder what kids nostalgic for 2005-2011 WWE (pre-pipebomb) think when they're shown footage of Survivor Series 2002...or SummerSlam 2002...or Wrestlemania X-7. shyt, even Invasion was more hype than basically any show put on today.

And on the subject of distinct sets, this is one of those things that AEW does fairly well (though not nearly to the extent that they could) and WWE used to do well. Venues like Daily's Place or Arthur Ashe Stadium are great for giving a different feel to your product from time to time, which was something WWE used to take advantage of in places like MSG or on PPVs like Invasion with the two tunnels for WWF and WCW/ECW wrestlers. It's like promoters have forgotten some of the simplest showbiz tricks for enhancing your product in the pursuit of more money and a slicker presentation overall, not realizing that there is such a thing as oversanitizing your product in a visual sense. WWE kind of forgot this after 2005 or so, which is a shame since they sometimes do really well when they remember the principle (see WM XXX's simple, yet expansive and visually interesting set, an example of slickness done right).

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
There's revisionist history about everything post attitude era. I feel the same way about people hyping that ruthless aggression shyt.