PAWG Product Manager at Facebook showcases average day in her 6-figure tech job

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Spare me with the brand and image bullshyt. I'm worked in a corporate setting for the past 5 years and will be joining a big tech firm here in a few months. I know the game.

No one is looking in her direction if the work is up to par. She is one of thousands of young tech employees that post about their job in a similar fashion on social media platforms. There is absolutely nothing about this video to prove to any of her managers that she isn't getting work done.

If they felt it was that big of an issue, the video would've been pulled down by now.

lol if you think that companies don't look at how you're representing yourself and hence them in your 'off-hours', you're going to find out the hard way. Several people have gotten fired or reprimanded for what they post on social media.

Do you think Meta wants the image of a cush, lavish, easy-going work-culture after their stock just dropped 22% in a day? I guarantee you if this video goes viral, there will be a lot more eyes on her.

Her actual Tik tok account is private. That video was someone else reposting her video.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Right. This shyt is most likely paid advertisement to get new gen to apply at meta.
FAANGs don't need more people to apply. They already have a massive flood of people applying, which is why the FAANG interview process is a circus. Their issue is filtering people out.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FAANGs don't need more people to apply. They already have a massive flood of people applying, which is why the FAANG interview process is a circus. Their issue is filtering people out.
True. But Facebook lost out on being apart of FAANG. Apple, Amazon, Google etc are doing better then ever while Facebook is on life support

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
lol if you think that companies don't look at how you're representing yourself and hence them in your 'off-hours', you're going to find out the hard way. Several people have gotten fired or reprimanded for what they post on social media.

Do you think Meta wants the image of a cush, lavish, easy-going work-culture after their stock just dropped 22% in a day? I guarantee you if this video goes viral, there will be a lot more eyes on her.

Her actual Tik tok account is private. That video was someone else reposting her video.
I'm going to find out the hard way? Breh I'm 34. I've been in these circles long enough. This is nothing new to me.

You think Meta cares about one harmless video of junior PM that absolutely no one gives two shyts about?

No, she'll be OK.

Nothing in that video portrayed Meta in a negative light. Far from it.

NegaDuck

"F*ck Duckberg ho!"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eastside of Duckton
The next recession is going to be a patagonia vest recession (c) scott galloway
This shyt bout to hit all the tech bros, consultants, bankers, project managers etc hard
stock prices cratering in and most places are freezing hiring. I'm bout to be on here way less as I actually start working to show some value :mjgrin:
Same here 😂

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Don’t be introverted
I myself ain’t really an introvert, but I ain’t trying to play online games on a Friday afternoon with the team either.
Facts. I've talked about my old company how the company determined not enough women or minorities in teh company especially at the highest level. The top like 50 positions were all white minus one Indian dude that thought he was white. Of course they focus on women first and immediately promote a whole bunch of women about half of which were not qualified enough. When it comes time to focus on minorities they focus on hiring at the lowest levels without any promotions to go along with it.

All depends on the company. At my old company we were understaffed like crazy. I worked with our development team and designed a huge product from scratch with one other guy. After that we acted as software support, QA, as product owners, product managers, software design, release managers, implementers, and did all the documentation. That was cool when first developing the software and we had hardly customers on it. But once we got customers on it, that became too much work for the two of us. Our other departments who were supposed to shoulder some of the work kept half assing it so my coworker left and I was doing all of that on my own. Even with doing all of that the job wasn't that crazy. The place fell apart after I left. We've lost half of the development team and they've reshuffled staff three times in the year since I been gone trying to find a set up that work. I even told them before I left that I was keeping a lot of people in jobs that didn't deserve them.

Then I switched companies and this has been such a cushy job. It's a lot of organization and waiting around to hear from other people. I miss being the center of everything and getting my hands dirty. Only problem at the new company is just that we lack subject matter experts so I have to do a lot of learning on my own to even answer some of the questions being asked. And we have a really bad software that was poorly designed.

But overall the job is easy as hell. Once roadmaps are developed it's really just maintaining it. Even better is when there is technical debt that needs to be accounted for. At the last company had a good two years where hardly any new development being done outside of emergency patches. I was able to just kick my feet up and hardly do anything most days. I'd go days of not even having to log into my computer. Just a daily check in call.
That actually makes sense.

I find it similar to some former co-workers when they go to a new bigger company and say their workload is less because they simply have mor manpower, but their decisions aren’t as impactful. Not to say they’re not impactful, but ultimately don’t have to make so many decisions.

Although I’m sure a company like Amazon with their pip policy (heard meta’s was worse) makes for more pressure.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
These are the same people that swear up and down black people are lazy and only get "good jobs" because of affirmative action. The whole time these cacs/Asians spend all day eating, playing games and doing bullshyt yet getting paid six figures :dahell: .
Exactly why I joined them…you think product management is useless, wait until you meet us in product marketing - no KPI or hard metrics gang :ahh:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Exactly why I joined them…you think product management is useless, wait until you meet us in product marketing - no KPI or hard metrics gang :ahh:
At my old company I was so pissed. One of the white women who got promoted way too fast signed us up to get product marketing manager certification instead of a regular product management cert. That shyt was was useless. Especially at that company where damn near all of our products weren't sold to new customers and all of our enhancements were in response to bugs. She hated me because I actually had the gall to call out that it was useless to our company.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I worked for a software company in sales once. Not only was it pretentious, boogie, lame hipster filled, trendy and corny, if you weren’t in sales, those people did NOTHING all day but make espressos and gossip in between getting massages in the designated massage room. I just stopped going to work one day because I hated everything about that place minus the free gym and I made them pay out my guaranteed 3 months or I would report them to the labor board. I had a check the next day. Basically stuck them up for wasting my time.
:pachaha:.....i miss this, life pre-covid fridays were get to work at 10, massage sometime between 10:30-12:30, catered lunch, wine o'clock with my teammates or we'd leave and go have drinks at a spot nearby, leave by 2-3pm to "beat traffic and finish the day from home" which really meant go walk the lake for my active recovery day and get ready to go out for the evening

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I should do the WFH edition. Sike 🤫
:whoa::whoa::whoa:What's understood don't understood don't need to said...

We're not wasting resources then filming it like these idiots.

Plus it's not unheard of for me to take a nap during the day, but then get back to work at like 1/2 am because I have something on my mind or deadline.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Electrical Engineers and other forms of traditional engineering and STEM are going extinct, which is crazy.

If you want someone to blame, blame those old industries because they still don't pay their employees right still put them through old-school "work 55 hours/week" schedules.

People are leaving their own industries to join tech because those industries are still stuck in the 1990's: work hard, grind everyday, all day mentality for chump change mentality.

When those industries decide to make a change, balance will be restored and everybody can chill. Can't blame the tech industry or expect it to change.

@-DMP- :lupe:

y'all be back doing computer science related stuff in no time :umad:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
True. But Facebook lost out on being apart of FAANG. Apple, Amazon, Google etc are doing better then ever while Facebook is on life support

NFLX finally had a good quarter but is down 50% YTD....everyone is taking an L, that said, FB is easily the most disposable of FAANGM