Patrick Kane vs Jameis Winston, a great example of white privilege

smARTmouf

Ascended Member
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
There's a racial component to it, but this is mostly about the irrelevance of hockey in the U.S.

The Winston investigation began as he was in the middle of a Heisman Trophy winning season for the eventual National Champions. College football is covered year round by ESPN and the second most popular league in the country behind the NFL. 99% of this board including me couldn't even tell you who was in the Stanley Cup Finals this year. :heh:

Hockey is a niche sport at this point, which is exactly why this is barely getting any burn.

Not locally....Blackhawks are huge in Chicago

Locally, they are bashing reporters for irresponsible reporting because there were no charges, no facts....It's like, they are all somber, by this Kane news, like he didn't show signs of being a douche...chalk it up to just a good ol boy having a good time huh..

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Not locally....Blackhawks hare huge in Chicago

Locally, they are bashing reporters for irresponsible reporting because there were no charges, no facts....It's like, they are all somber, by this Kane news, like he didn't show signs of being a douche...chalk it up to just a good ol boy having a good time huh..
Like I said, niche.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
When Jameis got charged was it during bowl season?

apparently this chick has bite marks

this dude is hannibal lecter

:merchant: dude has the calm of a serial killer

tumblr_inline_mp45zj2D6s1qz4rgp.gif

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
That's the exact opposite of what niche means tho...

ultimate frisbee is that niche shyt...
In terms of the major sports, it's niche. Hockey has its core fan base, but it's not picking up casuals like football, basketball and baseball.

Who was the last hockey player to appear regularly in a national commercial?

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
maybe, but Kane is an American superstar, on the most visible franchise in the league

Im in Chicago, so its been discussed non-stop here, but on a national level, it really hasn't gotten any play and that is hypocritical

Kane also has a history of being an a$$hole, so there's that as well, he seems to be getting a pass on a national level
Cacs tune in to talk crap about brothers.

Megadeus

Superstar
Daps
Im pretty sure this has to do with the fact that this is smack dab in the offseason of hockey, while football season is gearing up and MLB pennant races are beginning.

When the Jameis Winston fukkery came out, FSU was beasting and he was leading the Heisman race. All eyes were on him and then BAM. The Winston story was easier to sell at the time.

But people saying that its because hockey isn't popular dunno what they talkin bout.:stopitslime:. NASCAR is the most attended spectator sport in the United States. :martin:Think about that. Yet not I, nor anyone on here could name 5 current NASCAR drivers by face. But that doesnt mean it aint popular here. More Americans claim NHL as their favorite sport than they claim NBA.:sas1: Think about that too.

If the Patrick Kane accusations came out in the middle of the NHL playoffs would it have blown up more? Probably. Now would he get treated like Jameis tho? I dont know for sure... but if you created that scenario, I bet you i'd guess right.:sas2:

Last edited:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Star power may have a lot to do with it as well. Jameis was on the rise and a Hesiman candidate. You saw/heard about him for a few months because of his play in college and his troubles off the field.

Patrick Kane might be a three time Cup winner but he ain't on a box of Wheaties. He's not in commercials. The NHL wanted their players to shave their beards during the playoffs so players could be more recognizable. The NHL is desperate for stars.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mike Wilbon copping pleas on PTI. :scust:Talkin bout charges have not been filed. Were charges filed on Winston? For those doing it, stop trying to excuse this blatant racist shyt. If you keep it up Imma get you fitted for that Daniel Boone hat.

fukk Wilbon c00n ass. While Sean Taylor was fighting for his life on the operation table c00n Wilborn was shytting on him and he didn't even know the facts on why Taylor was shot.

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How many people in the US knew Winston before the lies?

Or the third string QB on FSU? Or PAC Man Jones or Chris Henry (before his death). These are all dudes that ESPN made multiple articles and talking points about athletes behaving badly.

Let's not forget even athletes like Jamal Tinsley after he was shot at after a visit to the club one night. Folks like Jemelle Hill (and her ESPN colleagues) used the shooting to write articles and push the narrative that athletes (IE black athletes don't need to stay out late).

Hey but what do you expect from these fools. They were capping for Andy Reid and his kids slanging rocks and running around totting guns. Even after the judge said that Andy Reid's house was a drug emporium (means a drug store).

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cant find the link. But there was an article showing the pictures ESPN used to cover Jameis Winston.

Pre Allegations of Rape

After being accused of Rape

:martin:

Remember that SI cover after Kobe was charged with rape? Remember when time magazine made OJ darker on the cover?

People on twitter last year were busting ESPN and other sports organizations for playing funny business with Winston's picture.