Over a year later; I want the smoke...Last Of Us II story isn't good.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
"fukk that guy, he TOOK MEANING FROM MY LIFE..."

:laugh: They had some nerve, AFTER THE END OF GAME, showing us a cutscene where she said she might forgive him

*Peels off to kill Abby and anyone in her way*

*Abby is dead to rights*

Nah, imma save her...

*saves her*

...NAH, fukk THAT, IF SHE DON'T SQUARE UP WITH ME--I'ma put aside all the weapons I had--IN A FAIR ONE ON ONE---even though, I just killed a bunch of strangers stelath style, I got honor, now--IMMA KILL HER LIL FRIEND

*fights*

OUCH, MY FINGER...JUST GO bytch! THE CYCLE OF VIOLENCE

:laugh: I'm not trying to beat you down with an argument and I get the points your making

But, that story was all over the place. The cinematography, graphics and how well acted it was, covers alot of the goofy, jumbled plot points.

iu

Yea, so deep, man...

Relatively deep

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Plus the way Joel was super alert about who to trust and etc in the first game seemed to just been thrown out the window in the sequel
And Joel had been chilling on a farm for 5 years with probably no where near the stress and constant danger he was facing before hand. Dude couldn't see the angles anymore on some Carlito shyt.

So was Ellie.

So was Abbie.
Neither of them was on the level of Joel.

But if 15 years from now, JJ wants to get vengeance on the woman that killed his father, Abbie will deserve that shyt:hubie:

:unimpressed: My problem is the self-righteousness like; before this game came out, a good portion of the gaming community was on Joel side for fukking up the Fireflies to save Ellie.
There was also a portion of the gaming community saying that Joel lying to Ellie and killing the Fireflies was a fukked up thing to do.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Neither of them was on the level of Joel.

Why do ya'll act like Joel was raping people in the first game?

Most of the people you killed in the first, had the same relation to you as Ellie/Abby in this game.

What is actually the difference?

There was also a portion of the gaming community saying that Joel lying to Ellie and killing the Fireflies was a fukked up thing to do.

Both of these videos (i watched around the time they were released) are atleast older than Last of Us II, so I know; but, the critiques of Joel wasn't as shallow as the post Last of Us II ones;

He killed a lot of people, he's a bad guy.

I acknowledge the people who didn't agree with the consensus.

But, there was a consensus, none of the less...people understood.

But if 15 years from now, JJ wants to get vengeance on the woman that killed his father, Abbie will deserve that shyt:hubie:

That shyt only gets a past from me because Abbie and her Dad were Fireflies.

I don't think, "You killed my father...who happened to be a fukking NPC...I'm coming to get you!"

If you do that, then every game violates the Ludonarrative dissonance most games are guilty of.

Ludonarrative dissonance is the conflict between a video game's narrative told through the story and the narrative told through the gameplay. Ludonarrative, a compound of ludology and narrative, refers to the intersection in a video game of ludic elements and narrative elements.

Murder is bad, it takes a toll on you and the people you love and you never know who you're gonna violate...let's go kill hundreds of people in brand new, cool ways!

NakeyJakey breaks down my problems with the game in his review.

Even Metro Exodus did this well, where; of course you were expected to kill the monsters and shyt, but, *no spoiler* punishes you for killing human enemies because you're able to beat the game without killing them

@30 mins, NakeyJakey makes the comparison to Metal Gear Solid 2.

Seriously, watch his review.

Last edited:

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I didn’t mind they killed Joel it’s the execution I would have thought that’d be saved for like the third game. Plus the way Joel was super alert about who to trust and etc in the first game seemed to just been thrown out the window in the sequel
And Joel had been chilling on a farm for 5 years with probably no where near the stress and constant danger he was facing before hand. Dude couldn't see the angles anymore on some Carlito shyt.

Yep, great point.

Plus he's getting old, watching Ellie grow up and prolly softening up. Plus, he saw a lost young lady about about be ripped apart.

See @Gizmo_Duck this is a story element that makes sense without spelling it out. It can actually be explained by biology and psychology.

I get why people bytched about--we're in this weird era where companies are legit killing off "the past." (ala Star Wars doing the three most popular protagonists dirty)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yep, great point.

Plus he's getting old, watching Ellie grow up and prolly softening up. Plus, he saw a lost young lady about about be ripped apart.

See @Gizmo_Duck this is a story element that makes sense without spelling it out. It can actually be explained by biology and psychology.

I get why people bytched about--we're in this weird era where companies are legit killing off "the past." (ala Star Wars doing the three most popular protagonists dirty)

I literally said that :gucci:

Edit—-

I guess i said it on the other thread :hubie:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Facts. These are 8/10 niche titles.

That generic ass apocalypse save the child story was being hyped as so incredible, I was confused as hell when I played lol.

They told it very well and I played the original like 4 times so I definitely liked what they did. But to say it was so genre defining and industry changing didn't make any sense to me. I think it was a big slight to a lot of other devs

They were hitting those mature themes with Red Dead all throughout the side missions and everything. Rockstar was cooking on another level last gen imo

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That generic ass apocalypse save the child story was being hyped as so incredible, I was confused as hell when I played lol.

They told it very well and I played the original like 4 times so I definitely liked what they did. But to say it was so genre defining and industry changing didn't make any sense to me. I think it was a big slight to a lot of other devs

They were hitting those mature themes with Red Dead all throughout the side missions and everything. Rockstar was cooking on another level last gen imo

How many films or games told that narrative before this?

The only one i can think of is children of men, and it wasn’t exactly a father/daughter story

Facts: a lot of stories like this came out AFTER the game. You obviously didn’t play it in 2013

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
How many films or games told that narrative before this?

The only one i can think of is children of men, and it wasn’t exactly a father/daughter story

Facts: a lot of stories like this came out AFTER the game. You obviously didn’t play it in 2013

The Road - Wikipedia

The Road (2009 film) - Wikipedia

try again :mjlol:. Abandoning everything to save a loved one is a tried and true trope.

i certainly did play this in 2013 on PS3, i liked it a lot. but it is not the greatest story of all time :yeshrug:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
started playing today and i gotta say so far i'm underwhelmed

i hate the movement physics for starters... but i've barely gotten into the game to be fair just an observation from a casual

This is the first time i've ever read someone have that opinion. The physics is up there with RDR2's, and it's more responsive.

EDIT: You said you were casual though, my bad

Why is there two current threads?:wtf: And we're all making the same points in both threads (possibly without the knowing there's another thread):russ:

Last edited:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This is the first time i've ever read someone have that opinion. The physics is up there with RDR2's, and it's more responsive.

EDIT: You said you were casual though, my bad

Why is there two current threads?:wtf: And we're all making the same point in both threads (possibly without the knowing there's another thread):russ:
I liked RDR2 way better and some people said that wasn't responsive.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My main problem with Ellie is how her motivations for chasing Abbie all throughout the Northwestern US.

And doing so through a post-apocalyptic wasteland and leaving the safety of her city and the love of her life (another poorly written plot point) and friends.

And all that is for a guy you're not sure that you hate or not...for reasons contrived.

Again, I would get her wanting to kill Abbie for killing Joel (yea, CAC this, CAC that), but, they over-complicate it. Then try to redeem her, while trying to villainize her. Because if Ellie is doing the right thing, that means Abbie is doing the wrong thing...blah, blah, blah, "The Circle of Violence."

You don't understand how she's "Cynical or Selfish" when this very thread called the Fireflies "an movement of innocent people"??? :mjlol:

So you forget Ellie killed a bunch of Abbie's friends to get to her?

I mean, if she’s evil for the killing, then she was evil in the first game too right?

there are definitely things you can criticise, but the characterisation of Ellie from game 1 to game 2 isn’t one of them imo