Over a year later; I want the smoke...Last Of Us II story isn't good.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So was Ellie.

So was Abbie.

:unimpressed: My problem is the self-righteousness like; before this game came out, a good portion of the gaming community was on Joel side for fukking up the Fireflies to save Ellie.

No, two things;

1, I'm referencing specifically her anger about Joel saving her. The way it's expressed is that she has some type of death-wish/suicidal when she was pretty much at peace with the immunity years prior.

And in between the first and second game she was on a fully functional & protected compound and they already had her acting distant--and the world still being super homophobic in damn near 2040 is a plot point issue I have in media and I'll save that for another thread (in short, I'm tired of cyncial writing).

Clementine, for example, was on the run 24/7 until she joined a dangerous, crooked gang. I understand why she got so hard core in between the 2nd and 3rd game.

I don't expect Ellie to be a little kid, anymore. But, she had plenty of character development in the first game and she wasn't this (her charcater in the 2nd game.)

I lot of casual gamers who didn't remember the first game came away not liking Ellie.

This is one of the problems with killing Joel so early and having Ellie written so narrow. If she is gonna go horrible shyt, just make her the bad guy. Stop with the; Ellie does dumb, horrible shyt...but, understand her.

And I was gonna get into her being so fukked up, PTSD wise, AFTER Abbie spared her and Dina, that she had to go after :huh: Abbie AGAIN MONTHS later...because she misses Joel so much...:huh: but, she hates him so much.

That wasn't complexed, emotional writing, it was bad writing.

Hell, it would've made more sense for her going to the base to actually save her. Than;

• Travel to kill her
  • Kill scores of people to get to her
  • Catch her Dead-To-Rights...but save her
  • Threaten to kill her friend SO YOU CAN SHOOT A FAIR ONE TO DEATH
  • STILL LET HER LIVE BECAUSE.....FEEELINGS

Ellie emotionals were all over the place. And the ending was supposed to be deep.

• Making Ellie go from a precocious, curious and jovial 14 year old to a cynical, evil, selfish 19 year old was a horrible writing choice without letting us know how and why

• You weren’t specifically referencing that in this bullet point tho? this is what I was responding to, not sure why you needed the game to spell this out for you, why wouldn’t she be cynical or selfish? As far as evil Unless I’m missing something the only point of the game she could be called evil was holding the knife to Levs throat in the last few minutes, and Abby did the same to a pregnant Dina :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It’s not like Ellie was a raging bytch/psycho the entire game. The prologue starts with her smoking weed and eating p*ssy, happy as can be. Then we see plenty of flashbacks of happy times over the years, they 100% let us see why and how ellie changed.

She snapped when she saw her surrogate father beaten to death in front of her. That was after they had the falling out.

Ellie didn’t agree with Joels decision, she said herself, maybe she had a greater purpose in life. She could have saved mankind, Joel robbed her of it. It’s complex good writing

I honestly can’t even think of another video game story worthy of such discussion so I dont see how people can say its bad.

Everyone points to RDR but how often do people actually talk about any of the plot points of that story? What are the stand out moments? I almost think people consider that story great because (in both games) the main character dies, in the typical hollywood way goes out guns blazing

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
game still fire :mj:

fukk Joel i might run that back on ps5 just to see him get his wig split again.

mfdE7Lb.gif

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
started playing today and i gotta say so far i'm underwhelmed

i hate the movement physics for starters... but i've barely gotten into the game to be fair just an observation from a casual

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I agree. shyt was wack and I don't like playing as the roid chick at all. I haven't replayed it at all since I beat it, in fact I went back and played the OG instead.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I’m not trolling hbo show is out next year and it looks good :yeshrug:

Also, theres two seperate last of us two discussions currently happening.

I don't complain about adaptations because generally they are dissappointing as the translation to a new media always has problems, IMO.

Mass Effect supposed to have a new show.

:hubie: I'm gonna pretend it doesn't exist.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't complain about adaptations because generally they are dissappointing as the translation to a new media always has problems, IMO.

Mass Effect supposed to have a new show.

:hubie: I'm gonna pretend it doesn't exist.

I wasn’t feeling it at first but hearing that HBO is doing it, throwing Game of Thrones money at it and got the show runners from Chernobyl (goat mini series) working on it makes me think its gonna be big

If it was netflix or amc I’d be like :camby:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
It’s not like Ellie was a raging bytch/psycho the entire game. The prologue starts with her smoking weed and eating p*ssy, happy as can be. Then we see plenty of flashbacks of happy times over the years, they 100% let us see why and how ellie changed.

She snapped when she saw her surrogate father beaten to death in front of her. That was after they had the falling out.

Ellie didn’t agree with Joels decision, she said herself, maybe she had a greater purpose in life. She could have saved mankind, Joel robbed her of it. It’s complex good writing
:hula:

That's not complex writing, it's jumble motivations when the "snap" is the driving force of the whole narrative...then she snaps, again despite being put on her ass...then snaps, again after catching her mark dead to rights.

Again, they consistently jumble Ellies motivations to come off complex and they just come off as contrived.

How exactly did Ellie need to find Abby to just put a bullet in her head...like she's been trying to do 80% of the story?

You can't make the "snap" the preeminent moment of the game, but, still create this unfounded friction that wasn't their in the first game.

Again, if Eliie acted as if she had some type of deathwish or expressed wanting to save the world (she ran away when Joel said he planned on dropping her off and KIM'ing), then it would make sense.

Then it's the inconvenient truth there's a consensus she knew he was lying at the middle of the game.

So, why before "snapping" but during the "weed and p*ssy eating" are you mad at Joe so deeply? Plot
contrivance

Again, the story, nor game, is trash, but, don't call something above the genre or complex when it just jumbled.
  • I don't care how Joel got caught slipping or that he died
  • I don't care Lev is trans
  • I don't care Abby is buff
And this is why 99% of the discourse was about the release ^^^

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I mean she also grew up years after the world went to shyt so i dont think it was a complete 180, she killed people in the first game also. Death and murder is a part of life, then the biggest most significant death that could have happened to her, did.

It wasn’t just her it was tommy putting the battery in her back also. She probably would have chilled out the rest of her life ptsd and all if tommy didn’t show up and tell her where abby was

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
You weren’t specifically referencing that in this bullet point tho? this is what I was responding to, not sure why you needed the game to spell this out for you, why wouldn’t she be cynical or selfish? As far as evil Unless I’m missing something the only point of the game she could be called evil was holding the knife to Levs throat in the last few minutes, and Abby did the same to a pregnant Dina :yeshrug:

My main problem with Ellie is how her motivations for chasing Abbie all throughout the Northwestern US.

And doing so through a post-apocalyptic wasteland and leaving the safety of her city and the love of her life (another poorly written plot point) and friends.

And all that is for a guy you're not sure that you hate or not...for reasons contrived.

Again, I would get her wanting to kill Abbie for killing Joel (yea, CAC this, CAC that), but, they over-complicate it. Then try to redeem her, while trying to villainize her. Because if Ellie is doing the right thing, that means Abbie is doing the wrong thing...blah, blah, blah, "The Circle of Violence."

You don't understand how she's "Cynical or Selfish" when this very thread called the Fireflies "an movement of innocent people"??? :mjlol:

So you forget Ellie killed a bunch of Abbie's friends to get to her?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
My main problem with Ellie is how her motivations for chasing Abbie all throughout the Northwestern US.

And doing so through a post-apocalyptic wasteland and leaving the safety of her city and the love of her life (another poorly written plot point) and friends.

And all that is for a guy you're not sure that you hate or not...for reasons contrived.

Again, I would get her wanting to kill Abbie for killing Joel (yea, CAC this, CAC that), but, they over-complicate it. Then try to redeem her, while trying to villainize her. Because if Ellie is doing the right thing, that means Abbie is doing the wrong thing...blah, blah, blah, "The Circle of Violence."

You don't understand how she's "Cynical or Selfish" when this very thread called the Fireflies "an movement of innocent people"??? :mjlol:

So you forget Ellie killed a bunch of Abbie's friends to get to her?

It’s simple if you just forget teh entire concept of right and wrong, and good and evil. There are no good guys, theres just POV characters

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I mean she also grew up years after the world went to shyt so i dont think it was a complete 180, she killed people in the first game also. Death and murder is a part of life, then the biggest most significant death that could have happened to her, did.

"fukk that guy, he TOOK MEANING FROM MY LIFE..."

:laugh: They had some nerve, AFTER THE END OF GAME, showing us a cutscene where she said she might forgive him

It wasn’t just her it was tommy putting the battery in her back also. She probably would have chilled out the rest of her life ptsd and all if tommy didn’t show up and tell her where abby was
*Peels off to kill Abby and anyone in her way*

*Abby is dead to rights*

Nah, imma save her...

*saves her*

...NAH, fukk THAT, IF SHE DON'T SQUARE UP WITH ME--I'ma put aside all the weapons I had--IN A FAIR ONE ON ONE---even though, I just killed a bunch of strangers stelath style, I got honor, now--IMMA KILL HER LIL FRIEND

*fights*

OUCH, MY FINGER...JUST GO bytch! THE CYCLE OF VIOLENCE

:laugh: I'm not trying to beat you down with an argument and I get the points your making

But, that story was all over the place. The cinematography, graphics and how well acted it was, covers alot of the goofy, jumbled plot points.

It’s simple if you just forget teh entire concept of right and wrong, and good and evil. There are no good guys, theres just POV characters

iu

Yea, so deep, man...