"Outkast is bigger and better than Run DMC" - Big Gipp

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Love Kast to death. Bigger than Run DMC? Ahh No. Them dudes like Michael Jackson to Hip Hop when they dropped. This is why I'm glad I got the 80's cause I still grew up in the Golden Era and was able to witness sh!t. Outkast at it's Peak still wasn't bigger than Run DMC. It wasn't just the music, they brought Hip Hop culture to the world and had everyone rocking Adidas:

They were the first to earn a platinum record (King of Rock, 1985), the first to earn a multiplatinum certification (Raising Hell, 1986), the first to have videos on MTV, and the first to appear on American Bandstand and the cover of Rolling Stone. Run–D.M.C. was the only hip hop act to perform at Live Aid in 1985.

For me when I see these three guys, I SEE HIP HOP period. That's what I see, nothing else. Pure HIP HOP.

rundmc_2.jpg

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all ain't judging Run DMC and Outkast on a level playing field...saying Outkast went commercial, but ignoring the fact that Run DMC was commercial pretty much their whole career. Y'all gotta judge these two groups fairly, brehs.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Considering anyone that ever saw Run DMC live has said their stage show was one of the greatest I can't agree. Outlast has better albums but can't perform them as well so being better is a stretch

IWasntMadeToPlayTheSon

Mutant Mindframe
Daps
Reppin
Concrete, Concrete like Greg Street
Love Kast to death. Bigger than Run DMC? Ahh No. Them dudes like Michael Jackson to Hip Hop when they dropped. This is why I'm glad I got the 80's cause I still grew up in the Golden Era and was able to witness sh!t. Outkast at it's Peak still wasn't bigger than Run DMC. It wasn't just the music, they brought Hip Hop culture to the world and had everyone rocking Adidas:

They were the first to earn a platinum record (King of Rock, 1985), the first to earn a multiplatinum certification (Raising Hell, 1986), the first to have videos on MTV, and the first to appear on American Bandstand and the cover of Rolling Stone. Run–D.M.C. was the only hip hop act to perform at Live Aid in 1985.

For me when I see these three guys, I SEE HIP HOP period. That's what I see, nothing else. Pure HIP HOP.

meh there wasn't no competition back then...they more like babe ruth hitting home runs in an all white league...but against satchel page his fat ass wouldn't have made it out the minors

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
meh there wasn't no competition back then...they more like babe ruth hitting home runs in an all white league...but against satchel page his fat ass wouldn't have made it out the minors

:snoop:

No competition :heh: They rendered a whole generation of rap (meaning groups that had been in the forefront for the previous four years or so) "old school" and changed the way rap sounded with one record, breh. They came out and changed the whole way muhfukkas rapped, made beats, dressed, and performed for the next few years. It ain't like nobody was out there already setting the tone. They came out and eclipsed the WHOLE era, breh. Now in fairness, later came a whole new era that pushed them out the way... but it took a WHOLE NEW ERA to do it. These dudes were bigger than anything in rap and in many ways were the ones who solidified that rap as a whole was not gonna be a fad and was something that was here to stay.

The way nikkas try to sweep what they did under the rug is amazing. Amazing. If they did some shyt that just anybody else coulda done, then why didn't anybody else do it?

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
I have no problem with any of this. Cats in here using revisionist history wrong as hell. This isn't intended towards you but I'm just saying everything I typed was truthful as to what was going on at the time in 98 and 2000. I respect all the groups and never threw shade to anybody but nikkas is way out of line for that Arrested Development and Black Eyed Peas shyt. Cats dont even remember when the albums came out or their names and saying 3Stacks sold out is where I have a problem. nikkas got they years all mixed up and I doubt were really listening to shyt back then and then try to throw shade on some "real hip hop heads" shyt. That snobbish ass attitude and exclusion to try to act like Kast don't belong in hip hop b/c of their success is what always pisses me off but its cool like I said. Just remember...

:camby:
if you're going to throw darts at people at least be factual
  1. I didn't miss remember their albums or when the albums came out all I did was make a general statement about them commercialize from the late 90s and I corrected myself because I really meant the early 2000's
  2. I never called Andre 3000 a sellout .... I said he went commercial
  3. I never said the term ((real)) hip-hop head .... i said hip-hop head

The fact that you didn't respond to my previous post kinda proved my point
again again & again I'm a fan of kast -but you need to be honest with yourself they started out as hip-hop artists but over time they evolved into music artists and that's not to knock them it's just the truth

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX

:ufdup:

this is literally the worst analogy I am seen on this website
if anything RUN DMC was like Jackie Robinson
you say they had no competition -their competition was of the all da genres of music which didn't respect our culture

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's not a fact though. Speakerboxxx/Love Below sold 5.5 million records domestically. Even if Love Below is dismissed, Speakerboxxx as a Hip Hop album can't be denied. That double album (both discs) was a big deal when it dropped. "Hey Ya" might've been a mainstream single that helped drive sales, but people were still interested in where OutKast was going next considering the progression of each album.