"Outkast is bigger and better than Run DMC" - Big Gipp

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
i hate arguments like this, those who side for the sanctity of "hip hop" just won't even open themselves up to seeing a different point of view. kast is way more influential than run dmc can ever be to me simply because of the time period, that doesn't make run dmc less great, but i obviously dont have the same connection to them

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I like Artifacts and still bump their albums from time to time but they are not better than Kast breh.

Let's keep it funky, El couldn't even keep up with Tame in their own group...especially on Rock and a Hard Place. So aint no way in hell they're seeing Andre or even Big Boi breh.

Natural Elements are cool but lets not act like they matter in any real capacity other than giving Ka a starting point to his career.

Ya'll wildin in here right now.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Honestly, I might've misunderstood your entire point with that post.

This nikka Wacky D got me trippin right now

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I like Artifacts and still bump their albums from time to time but they are not better than Kast breh.

Let's keep it funky, El couldn't even keep up with Tame in their own group...especially on Rock and a Hard Place. So aint no way in hell they're seeing Andre or even Big Boi breh.

Natural Elements are cool but lets not act like they matter in any real capacity other than giving Ka a starting point to his career.

Ya'll wildin in here right now.

My point wasn't they're better groups it's that they're better rappers. And Tame One would rap circles around Andre and Big Boi, A-Butter would rap SATURN around Big Boi and Andre with his throw away verses. They're not comparable as Mcees, but nobody would say they're better than Outkast. That was my point, people were saying Outkast were better than Run because they rhymed better, my point is it has to be more than that.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
My point wasn't they're better groups it's that they're better rappers. And Tame One would rap circles around Andre and Big Boi, A-Butter would rap SATURN around Big Boi and Andre with his throw away verses. They're not comparable as Mcees, but nobody would say they're better than Outkast. That was my point, people were saying Outkast were better than Run because they rhymed better, my point is it has to be more than that.
Gotcha. But I'm still gonna disagree with you lol

Tame WAS a beast in them days but I can't put him above Andre man. Tame had lyrical skills but Dre had skill as well as substance. The imagery of his environment in stories and introspection of his verses are something that can still be admired to this day.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How is saying OutKast is better than Run DMC revisionist history? Do people even know what that means? Saying OutKast is better than Run DMC is an opinion. You can't really say it's right/wrong because it depends on whether you agree or disagree. Revisionist history would be saying something like OutKast was more impactful and influential than Run DMC in the 90's. Some people may have put Kast over Run DMC in the 90's, but saying everybody did in the 90's is rewriting history. Why? Because you're attempting to go back in time and change how the group was viewed in a historical context.
I have no problem with any of this. Cats in here using revisionist history wrong as hell. This isn't intended towards you but I'm just saying everything I typed was truthful as to what was going on at the time in 98 and 2000. I respect all the groups and never threw shade to anybody but nikkas is way out of line for that Arrested Development and Black Eyed Peas shyt. Cats dont even remember when the albums came out or their names and saying 3Stacks sold out is where I have a problem. nikkas got they years all mixed up and I doubt were really listening to shyt back then and then try to throw shade on some "real hip hop heads" shyt. That snobbish ass attitude and exclusion to try to act like Kast don't belong in hip hop b/c of their success is what always pisses me off but its cool like I said. Just remember...

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Gotcha. But I'm still gonna disagree with you lol

Tame WAS a beast in them days but I can't put him above Andre man. Tame had lyrical skills but Dre had skill as well as substance. The imagery of his environment in stories and introspection of his verses are something that can still be admired to this day.

I respect it. But you get what I'm saying. There's always gonna be rappers more skilled than those who are bigger. shyt, who can rhyme like Ras Kass or Elzhi? But nobody would put them above a Biggie or a KRS-One or a Scarface. They don't have the influence, the legacy, the catalog etc...

and again, I'm not even mad at someone saying Outkast is over Run DMC, but to me the reasoning has to be more sound than just "They rap better" if you putting them over Run DMC in legacy