"Outkast is bigger and better than Run DMC" - Big Gipp

Mwrex

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People who acknowledge that hip-hop did exist before 1993 probably have.

Have you? Smileys aside it was a honest question for folks in here. If you have that's cool, old school music still slap

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone

^^^^^with the utmost respect to Outkast, if you can listen to those two live performances and not see why RUN-DMC win simply off the sound of the members voices alone then god bless. Outkast are really, really good. RUN DMC absolutely shyt upon them. And I'm a Fat Boys fan.

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
meh there wasn't no competition back then...they more like babe ruth hitting home runs in an all white league...but against satchel page his fat ass wouldn't have made it out the minors

When you make history, the "Competition" argument doesn't really fly. Hip Hop CHANGED cause of Run DMC. I love Kast, they are Legendary and there music will be remembered. They are the biggest artist ever out of the southern coast. With all that said, did they change the face of Hip Hop as we know like Run DMC did ? Run DMC was the group that made Hip Hop finally get there respect around the world. That was crucial in the evolution of this genre.

They didn't have a bigger impact on the culture than Run DMC did? Nobody was running around dressing like Andre 3000. Also what is Big Gip talking about, "We are the only collective from the 90's still doing it" Outkast ain't even a group anymore, Goodie Mob only dropped an album cause Ceelo decided to come home. Cool Breeze, one of the best memebers doesn't even rap like that anymore. They are not even doing that Big anymore. Outkast hasn't dropped full rap album in 15 years. You can litterally trace the the HISTORY OF HIP HOP before Run DMC and AFTER. As great as Outkast was, they were not more important to Hip Hop than Run DMC was.
:snoop:

No competition :heh: They rendered a whole generation of rap (meaning groups that had been in the forefront for the previous four years or so) "old school" and changed the way rap sounded with one record, breh. They came out and changed the whole way muhfukkas rapped, made beats, dressed, and performed for the next few years. It ain't like nobody was out there already setting the tone. They came out and eclipsed the WHOLE era, breh. Now in fairness, later came a whole new era that pushed them out the way... but it took a WHOLE NEW ERA to do it. These dudes were bigger than anything in rap and in many ways were the ones who solidified that rap as a whole was not gonna be a fad and was something that was here to stay.

The way nikkas try to sweep what they did under the rug is amazing. Amazing. If they did some shyt that just anybody else coulda done, then why didn't anybody else do it?

Facts, the 90's Grimey Era/Gangsta Rap/Mafioso pushed them out but they still had this joint, It was my theme song in Middle School:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I like It's Tricky and Sucker MCs and My Adidas better than any one OK song. I grew up on Run DMC tho.

I will say that catalog vs catalog Kast is stronger, but this is the natural evolution of Hip Hop. I would rather listen to a lot of groups' catalog before I sit down and listen to Run DMCs entire discog.

Back to the eternal question: Wright Brothers or NASA? Who was the "illest"?

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
He's entitled to his opinion. I disagree a ton but whatever. The impact of Run DMC still hasn't really been matched if people want to be honest about it. No one has set a nationwide trend quite like Run DMC did. Not to mention how many people rock some variation of their original logo in thousands of designs. That impact is something else and can't be down played.

Now I will probably go for an Outkast record before a RUN DMC record but people fail to factor in their nostalgia. I like Outkast's music better but they also put out records during my child hood I wouldn't forget because of where they were played or who the records were played it. RUN DMC were recording their stuff in amatuer fashion where Outkast, by their 2nd album, were recording in very high end studios using much better technology. Of course it sounds better.

Patriarch

#straightblackpride
Daps
I cant even name a Run DMC album. Yeah , Outkast is bigger and better. Run DMC was first -- that's about all I'll give them.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Outkast is certainly bigger, and time will tell if they're more influential than Run DMC. Still, I think it should be said, if Run DMC didn't exist, there would be no Outkast. When put into that perspective, no matter how many records Outkast has sold, they still owe their existence to those that paved the way for them. Run DMC is the prototype for Hip Hop duos and groups, much like The Stooges are the prototype for Punk. Funny how Big Boi and Yellawolf were rockin the Adidas look in their video. That look was made iconic by Run DMC and some of their contemporaries.

On another note, I still get chills when the horns from Run's House start, and at the very end when the horns change up on the fade out, classic sh!t.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That's not a fact though. Speakerboxxx/Love Below sold 5.5 million records domestically. Even if Love Below is dismissed, Speakerboxxx as a Hip Hop album can't be denied. That double album (both discs) was a big deal when it dropped. "Hey Ya" might've been a mainstream single that helped drive sales, but people were still interested in where OutKast was going next considering the progression of each album.
Out of the 5.5 million, what do you think the split would have been if the albums were available for individual purchase?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Gipp has an excellent argument.

My thing is there is no other two man group that can say everything they ever dropped (group and solo) was classic material. All the way from Southernplayalistic to Big Boi's Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors is or at least can be considered classic material. That is what I would consider the best group ever.

Prodigy's solo albums >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Based on the responses in this thread I'd wager 70% of the posters in here have never heard a Run DMC album all the way through and 75% have never heard an Outkast album all the way through.

I'd also guess if most had to decide if they wanted to listen to a DMC album or Outkast album 90% would choose Outkast and the other 10 would just choose DMC to be different.