"Outkast is bigger and better than Run DMC" - Big Gipp

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Just reading through the thread and um kinda shocked.

Who has the better music period, very easy to answer.

Look at it this way.... there is classic great music out there... like really old shyt u can play and it sounds amazing.

Run dmc in there time im sure people liked it but even I play it now that shut is wack

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Just reading through the thread and um kinda shocked.
Who has the better music period, very easy to answer.
Look at it this way.... there is classic great music out there... like really old shyt u can play and it sounds amazing.
Run dmc in there time im sure people liked it but even I play it now that shut is wack

on what planet?

i can throw a get-together right now and throw on a run dmc record, and people will start
jammin and at the very least noddin their heads heavy.

i throw on an outkast record and it will get no response. people will just continue on with their conversations and such.

Expose you don't know the time line and history.
then, deflect it into a personal attack.
all because you know you will be exposed as one of those phoney neo soul rnb dressed up funny nikkaz and not a bboy.

Art Barr

:pachaha:

this is how i feel about dudes like @Robbie3000 & @Monoblock

dudes dont have a hip-hop bone in their bodies. i dont understand why they cant just come clean & accept who they are. i'd respect it if they did.

thats why they can only respond with insults.

Even influence they are definitely on par with RUN DMC IMO. Wasn't no one popping outta the south before them. SPCM set the table for the whole southern movement. That album birthed so many rappers it's ridiculous.

Geto boys and Luke were there first, but I don't think any crew took the South and placed it on their shoulders like OutKast and the Dungeon Family. The title of the first album says it all. Dirt South was a term that was coined by Cool Breeze and Goodie Mob.

:laff:
:laff:

dudes dont know chit about rap.

I'm not taking anything away from the Geto Boys.They were pioneers who paved the way, but OutKast and Goodie Mob were the first to take a declarative stand for the South.

Atlanta as a hub of all hip-hop in general and Southern Hip-Hop specifically, just doesn't happen if it wasn't for seeds laid by the Dungeon Family movement.

dungeon family didnt progress the south at all. and thats not a diss. they were always in the backpack & alternative rap lanes. its like saying the roots put the philly rap scene back on the map. as proud as the city is of the roots, they didnt progress the scene's standing at all.

the media can dwell on their source award speech in hindsight all they want. they couldve not existed at all and the south wouldve still been in the same place during that time period.

luke skywalker & j.prince/geto boys opened the doors. master p/no limit blew the region up and made it into a viable coast. basically what it is now. and yall dont even give props to no limit on here. yall hate them dudes. this chit is like bizarro world.

truth be told, jermaine dupri/so so def was more relevant in hip-hop than the dungeon family.

MLB-Houston-Astros--2334-Ryan-Yellow-Throwback-Jersey-7491-66166.JPG

hottest jersey in the throwback game at one point. i've seen big boi belly ache about nikkas biting his steeze.

cudi, rocky, thug, kanye, etc. dre paved the way for all them weirdo dudes.

niccas wasnt rockin that chit b.

only people rockin baseball jerseys were usually corny niccas and/or dudes that actually played organized baseball. and yea, these are the types that become cops. i remember one of them dudes joined the police force as soon as he graduated. word to @Art Barr

Last edited:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Naw that shyt was everywhere. music videos, magazines. nikkas wasn't rocking baseball jerseys, but they rocked the astros throwback.
kanyeastrosthrowback.jpg

From an mtv article on throwbacks.

“Outkast really made Mitchell & Ness famous,” Capolino said. “About 1998, ’99, they started wearing the Houston Astros rainbow jersey [from the '80s]. They went from Astros to the Cubs. Those guys must own $25,000 in Mitchell & Ness products.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Naw that shyt was everywhere. music videos, magazines. nikkas wasn't rocking baseball jerseys, but they rocked the astros throwback.
kanyeastrosthrowback.jpg

“Outkast really made Mitchell & Ness famous,” Capolino said. “About 1998, ’99, they started wearing the Houston Astros rainbow jersey [from the '80s]. They went from Astros to the Cubs. Those guys must own $25,000 in Mitchell & Ness products.

Kanye is offbrand to what the hood aesthetic of throw back retro gears and girbauds was.
it is why he had on the Astros jersey.
ye, never fit into the hood aesthetic of dress.
as, he comes from Dem dare and Dem dare was culturally based in look.
no way you post Kanye and a pic of back then.
it shows you don't culturally know your history.
me and ye are both the little man's to Khalif.
so, don't try to tell me, I am wrong because we both mentored by the same nikka in the culture coming up.
who is that nikka when it came to gear and on no day was Khalif, letting us rock and we would never have rocked no played out gear that was prevalent in the whole take hip hop gear and swing it Into juvenile basic thug gear.
I know you don't know what you talembout posting Kanye in the jersey.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
The amount of bytchassness emanating from this thread is hilarious

Gipp never said that Outkast is more influential than Run DMC ya dumb muthafukkas :mjlol:

Aww boo hoo people on an internet forum don't like Outkast. I'm sure they can take solace in the fact that they have sold MOUNTAINS of records :russ:

Kast is EVERLASTING :blessed:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
:snoop:
people still on this shyt

as i said over n over imma kast fan in all
BUT. comparing dem to RUN DMC is stupid -its apples n oranges
if u wanna compare apples 2 apples (u need to find a duo or group comparable)

the one thats comes off the top is the fugees
IMHO aka in my humble opinion *needed to spell'd out cause people catch feelings*

the fugees had more of an impact in hip hop during that greatest mid 90's era then kast did (and both were in their primes)

and another 2 duo/groups comparable are 'da la soul' & 'a tribe called quest'
IMO kast is slighty better, much more impact then da la
BUT tribe is much better, extremely more impact than kast

one can even say a tribe called quest birthed kast, kanye, mos, common, the roots etc... etc... u know dem type of nikkaz

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
kanyeastrosthrowback.jpg

this is the problem. yall are too caught up in television & media.

get caught up with the streets.

lol @ kanye west being an example of anything.

Daps
In regards to draw and the verbiage of his comments.
yes, outcast given the climate and sales receipts had a much larger sales footprint than run dmc.
past that,...
kast never rhymed on run or DMc level, ever.
plus, from there own admission were biting of souls of mischief, originally.
that got over more because they were pimp influenced content and image wise.
past that, and being the sales darlings of LA face and arista.
I don't view outkast anywhere near a discussion of run dmc.
outlast could have never and will never do what run dmc did culturally just for starters.
without run dmc there is no permeation for outkast to draw, period.

Art Barr
:stopitslime:

Daps
Outkast has sold about 30 Million Worldwide. Run DMC has sold 20 Million. Considering when Run DMC came out, I think there sales are more impressive than Outkast. If you take there first three albums. Run DMC actually outsold Outkast. Outkast sales blew when all the hispters discovered them during "Stankonia". Sure they went Plat during there 1st three albums but they weren't "MEGA" sellers until there 4th LP. The biggest reason Outkast impact is so important is nobody from the South moved the units they did so you have to give them credit for putting ATL on the map the way they did. I just don't feel they shifted the culture the way Run DMC did. But you made some great points Art.
Similar could be said for Run DMC and Walk This Way.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

:wtf:

run dmc was huge long before "walk this way".

and yet & still, "walk this way" was more culturally relevant than any outkast song ever.:pachaha:

Yea I could see how that's true...and that's what I'm sayin..I woulda took the nikka more serious if he woulda said they bit Tribe...not no damn Arrested Development...

man you still on this?

art barr broke it down for you as well. and you fell back.

:rudy:

cudi, rocky, thug, kanye, etc. dre paved the way for all them weirdo dudes.

great.

so andre's contribution is influencing a fakkit, some weirdos & industry plants who couldnt get a real buzz going.

thanks for proving our point.

On the first album??

PERIOD.

every album.

Aww boo hoo people on an internet forum don't like Outkast. I'm sure they can take solace in the fact that they have sold MOUNTAINS of records :russ:

Kast is EVERLASTING :blessed:

:usure:

funny. the only time outkast even comes up as a topic is on the internet.

all those records sold and they were still bitter about their standing.:whistle: gee, i wonder why.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

Nope they a Gold and Platinum (1 first for any rap act) albums before "Walk this way". They were Big before "Walk this way" even happen. It was clear the hipsters jumped on the "Stankonia" bandwagon. The Hip Hop fans are what made Outkast popular during there 3 Classic album run. Again I wasn't dissing Kast. I LOVE Kast. Huge fan. But Run DMC changed the game, they can't be denied.