mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
PERIOD.

every album.
I don't see any AD in that first Kast album. You're gonna have to break that down. I can see an argument by the third album, with Dre dressing like a weirdo, and the harmonica on rosa Parks, I can see it. I don't agree, but I can at least see where you're coming from. But the first album :dahell:
I should say though, I've never heard the AD album, so I'm going off the singles and videos. If there's album cuts on the AD album that sound like Southernplayalistic I'll have to take your word for it :manny:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - Platinum
ATLiens - 2x Platinum
Aquemini - 3x Platinum

Outkast were big before Stankonia even dropped.

The point is, just like the hipsters jumped on that wave, the RNR heads did the same with Run DMC. What you think their canon-footprint was made without the weight of white folk? Run DMC's impact is great and all, but don't throw this disingenuous diction of Outkast only gaining the same fame because a certain white sub-group jumped on the bandwagon against the wall, when Run DMC rose to fame off the very same thing - not to mention they had carte blanche with crossing-over too, since they were the first ones to do it, there wasn't any other acts where folk could scale them - even if they were wack they still would've sold records.

Run DMC hit superstar status with Walk This Way/ Raising Hell
Outkast hit superstar status off Stankonia.

Like I said it's a similar thing. :manny:

Good points, and you make a solid logic. I still don't see it as quite the same as Run DMC was making History every step of the way. Also "Rasing Hell" was there 3rd album were as "Stankonia" was Outkast 4th. Run DMC also did this over a 3 year span over there first 3 LP's. Also you numbers are little wrong:

Sothernplayalistic - Platinum
ATLiens - 2x Platinum
Aquemini - 2x Platinum

That was Outkast core fanbase mostly hip hop fans in the beginning then:

Stankonia - 5x Platinum
Speaker/Love - 11x Platinum

There was a huge jump. Was it all Hispters? No but it's clear it was like they woke up and discovered Outkast then. No saying whites didn't have love for them before cause they did just that I noticed that spike then. Yes Run DMC got more white fans by "Raising Hell" so to your point there, true. But as I said they were making history by the album so I don't see it the same as Kast. A rapper let alone rap group never went Gold, Plat or Double Plat before Run DMC.

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Also one last point. RUN DMC didn't just STOP making music or quit. Once JMJ died, that was it. They can't be a group no more. Andre 3000 has been the one to set Outkast back from making more music when Big Boi has done everything and anything to try and bring the group back together. There last album "Crown Royal" dropped in 2001 and JMJ died the next year:

Crown_royal_%28album%29.jpg

Daps
Reppin
Stapletown..Shaolin
:comeon: This negro is tripping....and I love Outkast and Goodie Mobb....but come on son...u could see in his face he didn't honestly believe that...it was like he was trying to convince himself it was true...smh...

Daps
nobody feels this way about them but their stans.

and every group has stans that think everything they drop is magnificent.

dude made no legit points at all.

the arrested development appeal that outkast had is the main reason why they sold. they took that crowd and mixed it with the backpacks. im not knockin at all. just saying, i know who they are, and who they arent.

they were NEVER in the convo regarding the big dogs in the rap game. NEVER AT ANY POINT.

now that the lines are blurred, theyve been steady trying to take advantage of newer & novice listeners. so if me simply calling out the obvious is crossing the line, then so be it.

:win:

Arrested development feel? So Elevators sounds like Mr Wendall to you? Bombs over Baghdad sounds like Tennessee? Get outta here with that.

Pac was putting them on the One Nation album, they were highly respected. It's you who is being revisionist. Easily one of the biggest groups.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I don't see any AD in that first Kast album. You're gonna have to break that down. I can see an argument by the third album, with Dre dressing like a weirdo, and the harmonica on rosa Parks, I can see it. I don't agree, but I can at least see where you're coming from. But the first album :dahell:
I should say though, I've never heard the AD album, so I'm going off the singles and videos. If there's album cuts on the AD album that sound like Southernplayalistic I'll have to take your word for it :manny:
he's wrong as fukk about the shyt fam and he keep on pushing it...lol...trust me fam..there's no musical resemblance...he's lumping Souls of Mischief and Arrested Development together which is stupid..lol..

Daps
Run Dmc hasn't dropped an album in 25 years. Outkast has dropped one in the last decade. Funny that Run Dmc is being mentioned and they are still standard bearers to a group that has had more tools, platforms and technology to further their cause. I love Kast. but it is disrespectful on a major level to have this discussion. I bet Big and Dre would probably tell a different story if they were interviewed.
:dead: at this logic.

Daps
Nice retort.
Because what you said is silly and doesn't really need an explanation on why it doesn't make sense. Groups/acts that paved the way in their specific genre will always be used as a scale for acts that come after them, no matter how long it's been since they last dropped an album.

Nostalgia and 'they did it first' rhetoric will always beat out this platforms, technology and tools bullshyt you're talking about when folk fail to accept that canon artists aren't always the best.

Outkast are better lyrically, musically and are more diverse than Run DMC ever were.

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
Because what you said is silly and doesn't really need an explanation on why it doesn't make sense. Groups/acts that paved the way in their specific genre will always be used as a scale for acts that come after them, no matter how long it's been since they last dropped an album.

Nostalgia and 'they did it first' rhetoric will always beat out this platforms, technology and tools bullshyt you're talking about when folk fail to accept that canon artists aren't always the best.

Outkast are better lyrically, musically and are more diverse than Run DMC ever were.
Bullshyt! This point of view is why rap will always be disposable. Look at rock music, folks don't shyt on the Doors, Zepplin, Stones... Outkast may be more lyrical and better musically, but they had more tools at their disposal. They never had and never will have the impact that Run Dmc had on the game. You can't dispute that. Outkast is not more important to the game than Run Dmc!

Daps
Bullshyt! This point of view is why rap will always be disposable. Look at rock music, folks don't shyt on the Doors, Zepplin, Stones...
My view is anything but disposable. And how the hell am I shytting on Run DMC? Where abouts are you drawing these conclusions from? You're making up shyt at this point. The point is Run DMC and all the acts that had the initial impact through whatever avenue they took will always be looked at as the blueprint, because they were the first ones to do it first, no matter what. It's stupid for you to suggest that they have a hold over Outkast, and are the 'standard bearers' all without releasing an album in the last 25 years and never had the platforms and tools that newer acts had as any other added meaning other than being the first ones to do it. It doesn't further their cause one bit.

In every single genre, all acts that started shyt in some way or another are ALWAYS used as the base scale.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Outkast may be more lyrical and better musically, but they had more tools at their disposal. They never had and never will have the impact that Run Dmc had on the game. You can't dispute that. Outkast is not more important to the game than Run Dmc!
So fukking what?

They're plenty of artists that came from their era and shortly after that were better lyrically and musically too.

That's just like me saying Run DMC only had had a significant impact because they were the first ones to do it, not necessarily because their music was great.

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
My view is anything but disposable. And how the hell am I shytting on Run DMC? Where abouts are you drawing these conclusions from? You're making up shyt at this point. The point is Run DMC and all the acts that had the initial impact through whatever avenue they took will always be looked at as the blueprint, because they were the first ones to do it first, no matter what. It's stupid for you to suggest that they have a hold over Outkast, and are the 'standard bearers' all without releasing an album in the last 25 years and never had the platforms and tools that newer acts had as any other added meaning other than being the first ones to do it. It doesn't further their cause one bit.

In every single genre, all acts that started shyt in some way or another are ALWAYS used as the base scale.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

So fukking what?

They're plenty of artists that came from their era and shortly after that were better lyrically and musically too.

That's just like me saying Run DMC only had had a significant impact because they were the first ones to do it, not necessarily because their music was great.

Who from that era was better?
Who from that era had a bigger impact other than LL?
Only in rap is a legendary group shytted on to elevate some new group.
Outkast were dope. But they didn't have more of an impact than DMC You have not proved your case.

Last edited: