"Outkast is bigger and better than Run DMC" - Big Gipp

Daps
Nope they a Gold and Platinum (1 first for any rap act) albums before "Walk this way". They were Big before "Walk this way" even happen. It was clear the hipsters jumped on the "Stankonia" bandwagon. The Hip Hop fans are what made Outkast popular during there 3 Classic album run. Again I wasn't dissing Kast. I LOVE Kast. Huge fan. But Run DMC changed the game, they can't be denied.
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - Platinum
ATLiens - 2x Platinum
Aquemini - 3x Platinum

Outkast were big before Stankonia even dropped.

The point is, just like the hipsters jumped on that wave, the RNR heads did the same with Run DMC. What you think their canon-footprint was made without the weight of white folk? Run DMC's impact is great and all, but don't throw this disingenuous diction of Outkast only gaining the same fame because a certain white sub-group jumped on the bandwagon against the wall, when Run DMC rose to fame off the very same thing - not to mention they had carte blanche with crossing-over too, since they were the first ones to do it, there wasn't any other acts where folk could scale them - even if they were wack they still would've sold records.

Run DMC hit superstar status with Walk This Way/ Raising Hell
Outkast hit superstar status off Stankonia.

Like I said it's a similar thing. :manny:

Daps
:wtf:

run dmc was huge long before "walk this way".

and yet & still, "walk this way" was more culturally relevant than any outkast song ever.:pachaha:
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - Platinum
ATLiens - 2x Platinum
Aquemini - 3x Platinum

Outkast were big before Stankonia even dropped.

Run DMC hit superstar status with Walk This Way/ Raising Hell
Outkast hit superstar status off Stankonia.

Like I said it's a similar thing. :manny:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Fascinating thread. I always say that one's understanding of hip hop depends completely on
1. age
2. race
3. location
4. personality (are you more into hardcore shyt or alternative shyt)
5. how much previous hip hop you know and if you understand the context behind the previous music

I'm an 84 kid. I was never big on Outkast. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I eventually realized it was because their music wasn't street, plain and simple. With that said, I'd much rather hear an Outkast song than a Run DMC track. "So Fresh So Clean", "Atliens", "Wheelz of Steel"... even Ms Jackson.

BUT I prefer the aesthetic of Run DMC by far. And Run DMC showed the world what rap was really about. It's so funny to look at an old picture of them. Those guys are HIP HOP. for real. Just their look alone is still what we consider hip hop. And that rugged, street vibe is my shyt. Run DMC are pioneers, but like great pioneers, they paved the way for people to advance beyond them. Their stuff is dated. I'd rather listen to "The Bridge" than any Run DMC record. And that's only 86. Imagine how dated they sounded by 94. or 99.

On a side note, A woman in her mid 40s was talking to me about Run DMC the other day. And she said she couldn't stand them from the get-go. She thought they were a fad and they would fade the fukk out. In her mind, she was right. And she's into Kendrick Lamar, Tribe, Pete Rock, etc.

Not everyone fukks with that street, hard funky shyt. To me, that's the core of hip hop. The 'bboy hardness' of hip hop is what separates it from soul and funk. Without that, hip hop runs the danger of sounding like a bad retread of older music. And a lot of stuff from other coasts sounds like that to me, but that's another discussion.

But right now, the alternative non-rugged stuff is what people consider to be hip hop. I think Outkast had a huge role in that.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
I was too young or not born to appreciate the cultural impact of Run DMC, but I have listened to Run DMC's music. And there is no way in hell any run DMC album is better than Outkast albums. I'm not saying that RUN DMC isn't a legendary group or they didn't pave the way for hip hop. But musically and lyrically Outkast raps circles around Run DMC :manny:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I was too young or not born to appreciate the cultural impact of Run DMC, but I have listened to Run DMC's music. And there is no way in hell any run DMC album is better than Outkast albums. I'm not saying that RUN DMC isn't a legendary group or they didn't pave the way for hip hop. But musically and lyrically Outkast raps circles, squares, rectangles, ovals, and triangles around Run DMC :manny:
Fixed:sas2:

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So posters been arguing over this for 16 pages?:why:

"kast never rhymed on run or DMc level, ever.":pachaha::pachaha::pachaha:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

and yet & still, "walk this way" was more culturally relevant than any outkast song ever.:pachaha:

man you still on this?

art barr broke it down for you as well. and you fell back.

:rudy:

great.

so andre's contribution is influencing a fakkit, some weirdos & industry plants who couldnt get a real buzz going.

thanks for proving our point.

PERIOD.

every album.

:usure:

funny. the only time outkast even comes up as a topic is on the internet.

all those records sold and they were still bitter about their standing.:whistle: gee, i wonder why.
:huh: I didn't fall back from anything...he broke shyt down and didn't confirm what u was saying tho...which Outkast bit off of Arrested Development...they bit off Souls of Mischief...which I never denied in the first place...them biting off Souls of Mischief does not connect them with Arrested Development...it would make more sense if u said they were connected to Tribe Called Quest..if u know anything about the history of our debates we not gonna convince each other bro...so it is what it is...lol

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps

man you still on this?

art barr broke it down for you as well. and you fell back.

:rudy:

great.

so andre's contribution is influencing a fakkit, some weirdos & industry plants who couldnt get a real buzz going.

thanks for proving our point.

PERIOD.

every album.

:usure:

funny. the only time outkast even comes up as a topic is on the internet.

all those records sold and they were still bitter about their standing.:whistle: gee, i wonder why.

Bro, would you consider Run or DMC better rappers/ lyricists than 3 stack and big boi? :usure:

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Run DMC is the babe ruth of hip hop duos/groups...always gonna be revered as the best by many because they put it on the map, did amazing things at the time, changed the game, etc.

OutKast is the Barry Bonds of it...no matter what you say, they were the most talented, most gifted to ever do it, and pushed the boundaries of it with their ability.

:win:

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
Run Dmc hasn't dropped an album in 25 years. Outkast has dropped one in the last decade. Funny that Run Dmc is being mentioned and they are still standard bearers to a group that has had more tools, platforms and technology to further their cause. I love Kast. but it is disrespectful on a major level to have this discussion. I bet Big and Dre would probably tell a different story if they were interviewed.