Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Good movie, but I think it spread itself too thin trying to do three different things:

1. Focus on Oppenheimer's life and enigmatic character

2. Comment and provoke thought on the moral issues surrounding nuclear weapons

3. Be a courtroom style drama with the focus on Strauss, etc.

Personally, I thought the Strauss related drama was underwhelming and there was not much payoff for having so much of a focus on it. Of course, I'm not saying they should have rewritten history for a greater payoff. I'm saying the focus should have been on other things.

This is really what I was hoping the movie would be about. I understand that it's a biopic but tbh I don't go watch a Nolan movie to see a legal/courtroom movie. I wish it had been a 2h movie focusing on those two points, which would have given space for more cinematographic/poetic sceneries like the speech Oppie gives after the bomb was dropped. That scene was surreal.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is really what I was hoping the movie would be about. I understand that it's a biopic but tbh I don't go watch a Nolan movie to see a legal/courtroom movie. I wish it had been a 2h movie focusing on those two points, which would have given space for more cinematographic/poetic sceneries like the speech Oppie gives after the bomb was dropped. That scene was surreal.

I agree with you.

However, I think the typical viewer liked the "courtroom" aspect the most because it added suspense. (It didn't add suspense for me because I already knew what happened, and the stakes were rather low anyway. Oppenheimer loses his security clearance, Strauss doesn't get the job he wants. Not that big a deal.)

I don't know it it would have been such a blockbuster if it was more like we wanted it to be.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I agree with you.

However, I think the typical viewer liked the "courtroom" aspect the most because it added suspense. (It didn't add suspense for me because I already knew what happened, and the stakes were rather low anyway. Oppenheimer loses his security clearance, Strauss doesn't get the job he wants. Not that big a deal.)

I don't know it it would have been such a blockbuster if it was more like we wanted it to be.

Yeah I hear you. But tbh I've heard a lot of comments here and there and everyone seems to agree that the courthouse part was kind of confusing and, indeed, stakes were low anyway. Also maybe it's just what I saw, but all the promotion focused much more on the atomic bomb aspect, the main quote of the movie literally being "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds" which hinted that was the main focus of the movie and that it would be more metaphysical...I didn't see much about courthouses in the promotion, so was kind of surprised it was basically half of the movie (if not more).

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Enjoyed it but I wish they would had spend more time in the science of it all rather than the commie BS.

The nuclear test scene was fantastic.

Also pretty funny how cliche some of the script was:

"Jeez I wish I could combine my two favorite things, science and new mexico!"

"my favorite place up there is this little place called...Alamo"

"I opened this book in a random page, read it while you fukk me...why it turns out this is my most famous line!"

"who was one of those 3 congressmen that denied me?...oh just this young dude called JOHN F KENNEDY"

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Just finished watching it this evening. Like Dune it's hard not to be impressive by the sheer scope of this. I love Nolan using his power in Hollywood to get a movie of this depth released as a summer blockbuster.

I'm sure I'll watch it again sometime in the next 12 months, but this would rank high on my list of favorite Nolan films. Maybe top 3 behind Dunkirk and TDK.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One of the best lines (I can't remember the exact wording) was when Oppenheimer insinuated that Einstein had been relegated to Larry Holmes status a long time ago.

For the rest of the movie, I kept imagining Einstein's white hair crowned with a flat top.