Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Name 3 movies that have top-tier energy flow :stopitslime:

easily but i'll name just one 1.

unforgiven.

you see that final build up. the energy. the tension. like a demon come to visit.

driven by tension build and organic emotion.

that skill is why eastwood has those oscars ..

-

2. even affleck did more with zero special effects

oscars ...

-

3. for a different flavour the emotional buildup from zemeckis

-

organic tension and emotion building . one level leading to the next.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
@the elastic

p.s. if nolan could fix his emotion and action flaws and also tone back on his obvious-isms he would undoubtably be the best director working today.

p.p.s. FAaFO new smiley

faafo.png

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
@the elastic

p.s. if nolan could fix his emotion and action flaws and also tone back on his obvious-isms he would undoubtably be the best director working today.

p.p.s. FAaFO new smiley

faafo.png
I have no issues with Nolan's style personally. I enjoy non-linear storytelling and sporadic energy. Traditional storytelling is too predictable and slow for me.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
In a sentence, I liked it. But, it takes all of Christopher Nolan's considerable talent, and the score, and the acting, the cinematography, to keep me engaged. In a different directors's hands this would have been unwatchable to me, because subject matter just isn't something I would spend three hours watching. Like Lincoln from 2012. That was insufferable. Academics bickering amongst themselves, about science. Just wouldn't be a movie I was into.

But, when this works, and it was 80% of the time, it flows, and feels, yes, like someone noted a little like Malick, the New Mexico shots were incredible. The shots on the train. of The flow, the editing and pacing, the crispness of everything, it was excellent.

Thought it should have ended around the Harry Truman scenes, "don't let that cry baby back in here" (which could be my favorite line of the movie), the rest showcased Downey Jr, and it was great, but it really started to sag in those scenes, it didn't go off the rails, but just wore me down. Would say that the actual writing was the weakest part, and in a different movie, with sharper dialouge maybe could have engaged me more. The security clearance and Senate scenes felt very grating. maybe the shift from a more visual and awe inspiring movie, like Malick, to a kind of Sorkin style was jarring.

very classic Nolan though, that Einstein shot, I saw that coming, but still had the moment, of like yeah of course Nolan has one of those famous ending shots, where something is shown two or three different ways.

Not going to be in here with criticisms, or not letting people enjoy what they love

but saw a preview for this the other night at the movies

and don't know if I can see this movie, love Nolan in some ways, appreciate the craft, and passion, but it looked irredeemably boring, three hours of building the H/A bomb whatever in the 1940's? and have seen every Nolan movie back to Following, and every movie since Insomnia in theaters

Nolan for sure read a book about this and decided to make it his next project.
How many more will the Gawd force to lean back? :wow:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
@the elastic

p.p.s. FAaFO new smiley

faafo.png
Emotion and action are his two biggest flaws... Hollywood needs to let directors team up... Let Nolan do the shooting, Spielberg shoot the emotional scenes and get Snyder to do the action and we'd have a great movie

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Saw that bytch in IMAX and it was LOUD for the effects, the bomb explosion scared the shyt outta me lol. Sound design, score, pacing and acting were great, was long though but my mind only started to wonder for about 5 minutes. 4/5 or 9/10 for me, think only thing that will match it will be Dune Part 2.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
@the elastic

p.p.s. FAaFO new smiley

faafo.png
People always say that about Nolan but I completely disagree with lack of emotion. People were crying at the end of interstellar

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
People always say that about Nolan but I completely disagree with lack of emotion. People were crying at the end of interstellar

i mean "organic emotion". nolan's emotional moves are calculated and visibly so.

i.e.

nolan: "stand there and stare into space for 20 seconds"

cillian: "ok"

nolan: "stand over here and stare into space for 10 seconds"

nolan: "stand over there and stare into space for 15 seconds"

-

it is analogous to breaking the "show don't tell" rule except here he is visibly showing actors emoting rather than just letting them emote.

it is like when you see an actor trying to act vs. an actor just acting.

or put another way you could write down what chris does and how he does it in a book.

it's paint by numbers of the highest order but it IS paint by numbers.

technically 10/10. steady. calculated. synthetic. predictable.

(note: not the story. the direction).

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
That was McGodaughey's doing... Like people will mention Inception as him knowing how to do action, but forget the sloppiness of the Batman trilogy and Tenet

Nobody's perfect