Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Not showing Japanese victims was kind of the point, and I even feel would be grossly inappropriate for a (white) American to do.

Oppenheimer's, and the other Americans, reactions are the point - from flagwaving to throwing up to Oppie in the middle. Him being removed from the actual act and victims, is also the point.

We really didn't need a Japanese point of view, and when we do (and we do), it should be told by them and nobody else.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Ahh damn, do you feel that it took away from the movie? I have not seen it yet but that could have been another layer to add.
For me, nope. Because it was only from 1 perspective. They didn't even show the Heisenberg perspective, even thoigh he was a driving force of a lot of the actions in the movie. So that there was no confusion when deciding which emotional character(s) to latch onto.

But I do think they missed an opportunity in not delving enough into the emotional state of Oppenheimer.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Just... wow. I didn't realized how leaned in I was at the final trinity test until I looked over and saw an older Asian man doing the same thing.

"Nah nah, don't bomb Kyoto. Me and wifey like to vacay there." :jawalrus:

Brown nips huh Florence :steviej:
RDJ is the obvious lock for supporting but Jason Peters, Krumholtz, Josh Harnett, Casey Affleck (!), Benny Safdie all did an incredible job with their roles.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
So in some ways he's like Bryan Singer

Therefore, if Nolan could work with someone like Snyder
Don't piss me off breh

arnold-schwarzenegger-stare.gif

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
"Nah nah, don't bomb Kyoto. Me and wifey like to vacay there." :jawalrus:

Brown nips huh Florence :steviej:
RDJ is the obvious lock for supporting but Jason Peters, Krumholtz, Josh Harnett, Casey Affleck (!), Benny Safdie all did an incredible job with their roles.
Oh shyt, I knew I recognized Teller from somewhere :krs:
MV5BN2UzZjM1MzYtYzFkZS00NTdkLWIzN2UtNDkxNjVhYWFiMDI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODUzMzI1MDY@._V1_.jpg

:mjpls: :dead:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For me, nope. Because it was only from 1 perspective. They didn't even show the Heisenberg perspective, even thoigh he was a driving force of a lot of the actions in the movie. So that there was no confusion when deciding which emotional character(s) to latch onto.

But I do think they missed an opportunity in not delving enough into the emotional state of Oppenheimer.

Yep, that's what I think is one of the movie's strengths. The movie is built around the viewer being presented the events almost exclusively from Oppenheimer's viewpoint, not just from a story standpoint, but even visually, to a point.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
able to craft a technically great film but is utterly terrible at directing action.

:ehh: bingo !!!

nolan seems unable to generate or build kinetic action / energy in his movies.

the opposite to rennie harlin, micheal bay or even a wheadon in this regard.

(russos also have this issue to a lesser degree).

tension in his movies seems somewhat sterile, more fabricated and less organic.

comparison: tension at end of unforgiven.

or ...

one is a nuke, one a worm .. both went as natural as possible but i know which one seems like an act of god and which one falls flatter.

i also felt that this time nolan's re-sequencing to facilitate simultaneous crescendo + reveal / twist in the third act worked to the detriment of the story somewhat, but i need to watch it again.

he might be over using it.

also i think matt damon was miscast.

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
:ehh: bingo !!!

nolan seems unable to generate or build kinetic action / energy in his movies.

the opposite to rennie harlin, micheal bay or even a wheadon in this regard.

(russos also have this issue to a lesser degree).

tension in his movies seems somewhat sterile, more fabricated and less organic.

comparison: tension at end of unforgiven.

or ...

one is a nuke, one a worm .. both went as natural as possible but i know which one seems like an act of god and which one falls flatter.

i also felt that this time nolan's re-sequencing to facilitate simultaneous crescendo + reveal / twist in the third act worked to the detriment of the story somewhat, but i need to watch it again.

he might be over using it.

also i think matt damon was miscast.

Interesting you say this. While watching, I kept thinking he and Hartnett should've switched roles.