Oppenheimer (Directed by Christopher nolan)

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got back from seeing it. First and foremost, give Cillian Murphy the Oscar already. I cannot fathom a better performance this year than his. They were lying when they said this is Nolan's The Social Network. I thought people was saying that figurately and not that it's the same premise aside from the subject matter. Ludwig's score was mesmerizing!! Everybody did great and the cinematography was beautiful as expected. Glad Nolan is back to his Rated R shyt.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Just saw it. Was the fake Imax version apparently. But still enjoyed it. Agree that it could've been a bit shorter but still an interesting film. I had seen Barbie earlier but this was my main choice tho there was only evening or later showings today, 4 in total. Theater was pretty packed, for both films. Can see both doing well this weekend and hopefully starts off a successful rest of the summer for theatres.

Film was educational & interesting. Great acting thru out.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
The hype was well worth it. Nolan is a fukkin’ GAWD. Cillian getting his grand shining moment after being Christopher’s muse for what’s felt like decades now is so dope. The race will be tough, but I see Oppie going off with a bigger bang come Oscar time.

While not my utmost favorite project from him (who knows, it may change), I do think it’s his best-crafted. The sequence leading up to the detonation countdown was adrenaline inducing. Ludwig and his orchestration team commanded the film like Jonny Greenwood did in There Will Be Blood. Joint would’ve lost a significant amount of spice without their efforts. Hoyte was fantastic as well.

I disagree with the R-rating being an idiotic choice, btw. Thought the rating gave the film an edge and the story as told is a heavy one, it definitely felt warranted. The cool part was that it’s not like Nolan had folks cussing left and right throughout. Profanity was used sparingly and the dramatic moments became more effective in turn when they were used.

10/10.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
good not great for me. I loved the final two hours. I felt like the first hour of exposition was weaker. The scenes with Florence didn’t hit well for me, it jumped around a ton too quickly and the dialogue felt flat to me

loved the second two hours, and thought the final hour conclusion with completing the story arcs of Oppenheimer & Struss were great

3 stars I suppose

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The hype was well worth it. Nolan is a fukkin’ GAWD. Cillian getting his grand shining moment after being Christopher’s muse for what’s felt like decades now is so dope. The race will be tough, but I see Oppie going off with a bigger bang come Oscar time.

While not my utmost favorite project from him (who knows, it may change), I do think it’s his best-crafted. The sequence leading up to the detonation countdown was adrenaline inducing. Ludwig and his orchestration team commanded the film like Jonny Greenwood did in There Will Be Blood. Joint would’ve lost a significant amount of spice without their efforts. Hoyte was fantastic as well.

I disagree with the R-rating being an idiotic choice, btw. Thought the rating gave the film an edge and the story as told is a heavy one, it definitely felt warranted. The cool part was that it’s not like Nolan had folks cussing left and right throughout. Profanity was used sparingly and the dramatic moments became more effective in turn when they were used.

10/10.
while Dunkirk isn’t my favorite of Nolan’s, I think it’s perfectly crafted. It really tells its story is such a tight and perfect manner for me. with Oppenheimer, felt the first hour was uneven. What do you think of that criticism/feeling I got from that part? Again, overall very much enjoyed the movie and might hit again in theaters. Curious how my view would change on that first section. I didn’t feel the connection between Cillian & Florence and their romance was weirdly rushed, so was with Emily tbh, it just suddenly cut to them riding on horseback lol. Those type of moments were ehh to me. Although I felt Emily did a great job. Florence kinda felt inauthentic for me

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
while Dunkirk isn’t my favorite of Nolan’s, I think it’s perfectly crafted. It really tells its story is such a tight and perfect manner for me. with Oppenheimer, felt the first hour was uneven. What do you think of that criticism/feeling I got from that part? Again, overall very much enjoyed the movie and might hit again in theaters. Curious how my view would change on that first section. I didn’t feel the connection between Cillian & Florence and their romance was weirdly rushed, so was with Emily tbh, it just suddenly cut to them riding on horseback lol. Those type of moments were ehh to me. Although I felt Emily did a great job. Florence kinda felt inauthentic for me
Film is subjective, so I definitely respect it. Those are fair points. I do think Pugh had an incredibly short stay, but I ended up missing her presence as well…which told me she managed to make do with what she had.

I should give Dunkirk another watch as my mind is way different now than what it was back in ‘17. But it left me feeling sour despite the hot start. I recall the movie being cinematically impressive while the characters came across as an afterthought, whereas I felt like Oppenheimer did a better job getting me to connect on an emotional level overall. The cast for the most part also really helped here.

The way the background rumbled during the gym speech as Robert’s state of mind was battling the true horror of what he created. That’s what I like to see from Nolan. That entire sequence felt like the real explosion, not the Trinity test.

I could feel the blood boiling in Blunt’s skin during the bit where Pugh’s character is seen riding Oppie bucket nekkidt in front of her. Felt like something I’ve never seen Nolan do before in his past works. I’d cast it away as the usual if it came from someone like Charlie Kaufman or Ari Aster, but seeing someone like Christopher film a sequence like that was refreshingly cool.

Effectively conveying human emotions has felt like Nolan’s weakness to me for the longest, while he always brought his A-game on the technical front. Interstellar and this felt like the best of both worlds while hitting me in the feels.

Last edited:

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
nice.

also how did you know it was 70mm? im looking at my local theater website, but they arent showing what is what other than imax or surround sound.
Our theatre told us, plus I went to one of the 30ish IMAX theatres that were both imax and 70mm capable. Some theatres will point out that it’s 70mm or 60mm like Alamo drafthouse, while others won’t