Only 7 Black Students Got Into NY's Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Only 7 out of 895

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Even if my family ain't-- I still know and see that ADOS children and adults do value education and in college-- or graduates.
Do you see ones that don't?
You are on this broken household shyt --- you act like we are the only people dealing with that-- and that their isn't a reason for it.
I know all the reasons for it. But when it comes to the well being of your own children that shyt sounds like excuses to me.
And truth be told -- single parent households still push out college students - who become graduates. I'm sure they do. But at the same rate two parent homes do? Is it easier for two parents or one?

What you are bringing up has to do with cost, debt, other factors- not cause they dont wanna go or not smart enough - or dont value education.
Which are factors you tend to deal with better coming from a two parent stable home.
And that medical article - who knows but I personally know many ADOS doctors and lawyers all grads from HBCU's. I don't care about your anecdotes.
My point remains the same. Our kids are having a tougher time for a multitude of reasons. You seem cool with some of them making it. Which is your own opinion.

I think we need more.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
"And this past weekend, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez did not take a position on the admissions proposal when she spoke about the specialized high schools at an event in her Queens district.

Instead, she argued for broad school improvement, noting that her father traveled across three boroughs from the Bronx to Brooklyn Technical High School.

“My question is, why isn’t every public school in New York City a Brooklyn Tech-caliber school?she asked, to applause from the audience. “Every one should be.” "

I think the bolded is right. Why are we fighting over selective spots instead of creating a better system that benefits 100% of kids instead of 1%?

This is actually the correct answer.

But as you continue to focus on us and ignore the real problem, you'll be the ones ultimately fukked up in the end. Divisiveness achieves nothing.

You're the one who brought this up in the 1st place. No one was talking about AAs and non-AAs until you randomly started complaining about it in code.

If anyone is being obsessive and stalkerish in terms of divisiveness, it's you.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
This is actually the correct answer.

You're the one who brought this up in the 1st place. No one was talking about AAs and non-AAs until you randomly started complaining about it in code.

If anyone is being obsessive and stalkerish in terms of divisiveness, it's you.
I brought it up because i was literally responding to multiple posters here that were literally blaming black immigrants from taking admissions slots from ADOS, when the reality is white women, asians, white gays, and damn near all these other minority groups are actively working to disenfranchise blacks.

The real threat is being ignored, and im certain thats no accident.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
If you are not ADOS -- I don't care what you think anymore.

Enjoy your week :smile:
I am ADOS:francis:

Dude just mad that I call out his thirst for lightskin exoticals as detrimental to black progress.

I ain't no better mind you. But it's weird he can't see it.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I brought it up because i was literally responding to multiple posters here that were literally blaming black immigrants from taking admissions slots from ADOS,

That must have been in a different thread. Because I didn't see any of that in the posts before yours.

In fact, these are all the posts before yours.

Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots

Only a tiny number of black students were offered admission to the highly selective public high schools in New York City on Monday, raising the pressure on officials to confront the decades-old challenge of integrating New York’s elite public schools.

At Stuyvesant High School, out of 895 slots in the freshman class, only seven were offered to black students. And the number of black students is shrinking: There were 10 black students admitted into Stuyvesant last year, and 13 the year before.

Another highly selective specialized school, the Bronx High School of Science, made 12 offers to black students this year, down from 25 last year.

These numbers come despite Mayor Bill de Blasio’s vow to diversify the specialized high schools, which have long been seen as a ticket for low-income and immigrant students to enter the nation’s best colleges and embark on successful careers.
Students gain entry into the specialized schools by acing a single high-stakes exam that tests their mastery of math and English. Some students spend months or even years preparing for the exam. Stuyvesant, the most selective of the schools, has the highest cutoff score for admission, and now has the lowest percentage of black and Hispanic students of any of New York City’s roughly 600 public high schools.

Lawmakers considering Mr. de Blasio’s proposal have faced a backlash from the specialized schools’ alumni organizations and from Asian-American groups who believe discarding the test would water down the schools’ rigorous academics and discriminate against the mostly low-income Asian students who make up the majority of the schools’ student bodies. (At Stuyvesant, 74 percent of current students are Asian-American.) The push to get rid of the test, which requires approval from the State Legislature, appears all but dead.

that’s crazy...I went to bronx science...even tho it was still majority white/asian there were a lot of black/latino students there @ the time (early 90s)...enough so that we even had our own student organization

How stressed is education by black parents up there? Cause if it’s anything like it is down here, then :picard:

75 percent who were accepted are Asian. 20% white. The rest black and Hispanic and that’s among all three technical hs in nyc? :snoop:

Honestly we gotta have a real conversation about how we educate our children in the black community. :yeshrug:

That’s the problem black parents think sending their kids to shytty public schools is enough. Nah u gotta get extra tutoring/ schooling and drill the importance of education. Teach your kids at home as much as possible.

this is true...to be fair tho...from my teaching experience a lot of white parents have this mentality as well...as a whole this country’s attitude toward education is “lacking” but that’s a whole different argument tho...sorry to digress

It's a safe space for limousine liberals.

At least NYers can get carryout Chinese Food at 3 am...:troll:

This is a tough one. If 74% of the students are Asian, the Black students probably 5% and the cacs like 20%..

At some point we have to confront the ugly truth that your kids education and future is not up to him/her alone..it's a complete family effort. From the Asians I knew, their parents expected not only A's, but head of the class. It's not enough to get an A..you have to actually beat your classmates and take 1st place, the Asians take that stuff seriously. Here they are practicing for future job prospects when youre competing with other people.
When they get home, no TV and shyt, it's homework and revision till you have mastered the days lessons.
We all know how Black kids are allowed to run amock by their parents and basically do as we please.
Asians aren't smarter than anyone else..their culture is competitive and mediocrity is frowned upon.
We could learn something from them.

:coffee:

No one will bother looking into this BS till the wyte acceptance rate hits abt 10%..... until then the headline will be about how Black kids can't learn... cuz they're black......... :coffee:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Here you are making the same stereotypes about groups of individuals that you chastise black men on here about. And you cried and complained about how Jews were being stereotyped for being “rich”.

You a whole bytch and an agent.

You're drawing a faulty comparison between people making generalizations about an ENTIRE group versus me making an observation about a specific subset further evidence of how you nikkas need to lean into education and away from emotions.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.

Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots

Only a tiny number of black students were offered admission to the highly selective public high schools in New York City on Monday, raising the pressure on officials to confront the decades-old challenge of integrating New York’s elite public schools.

At Stuyvesant High School, out of 895 slots in the freshman class, only seven were offered to black students. And the number of black students is shrinking: There were 10 black students admitted into Stuyvesant last year, and 13 the year before.

Another highly selective specialized school, the Bronx High School of Science, made 12 offers to black students this year, down from 25 last year.

These numbers come despite Mayor Bill de Blasio’s vow to diversify the specialized high schools, which have long been seen as a ticket for low-income and immigrant students to enter the nation’s best colleges and embark on successful careers.
Students gain entry into the specialized schools by acing a single high-stakes exam that tests their mastery of math and English. Some students spend months or even years preparing for the exam. Stuyvesant, the most selective of the schools, has the highest cutoff score for admission, and now has the lowest percentage of black and Hispanic students of any of New York City’s roughly 600 public high schools.

Lawmakers considering Mr. de Blasio’s proposal have faced a backlash from the specialized schools’ alumni organizations and from Asian-American groups who believe discarding the test would water down the schools’ rigorous academics and discriminate against the mostly low-income Asian students who make up the majority of the schools’ student bodies. (At Stuyvesant, 74 percent of current students are Asian-American.) The push to get rid of the test, which requires approval from the State Legislature, appears all but dead.

I don’t get what your title has to do with this article. Better yet here’s a good question.

Did those black kids actually pass the exams to get into those schools?

:ohhh:

Those are standardized high schools that’s require testing. I took the test to get into Brooklyn tech when I was 13 and I failed it.

So therefore I didn’t get into it.

Also since I took the exam I think I can talk from experience that Asians, Indians and white folks take the exams at a way higher rate than black students.

With all due respect your average black or Hispanic New Yorkers isn’t running off waiting online to take an exam to get into a standardized high school.

KneeGrow.

Superstar
Daps

I only say it's conflating in this context because too often the discussion around "education" becomes binary. It turns into a discussion about schooling and credentials and how it relates to success in the marketplace, when we know "education" is more than that.

This idea that we don't "push education" isn't true. Often times the challenge is to that of a comformist; what "education" is valued and most important. Who are these people that are wholesale lauding ignorance, and why are they made to be the cultural voice?

Are the struggles of HBCU not indicative of more glaring, systemic malfeasance as a whole with respect to support of higher learning institutions? Not to mention the historic context in which they even exist in the first place.

You mention "all things being equal" relative to competing. Yeah, about that...

Not even to speak of challenges of access and resources. Networking disadvantages and buddy systems. The issues of academic success are more varied than "not caring enough" or "not trying hard enough".

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
:hhh: At people saying it’s because black students don’t study. FOH, First of all not many black people even take that test. You have way more black kids taking the specialized catholic school test more than this test. Secondly because of zoning in the city some parents are fine letting their kids go to their zoning school which is just as good. Why would I send my kid to Stuveysant when Cardozo, Bayside, Townsend Harris (Better school than all of the three specialized schools) are right around the block?

Bingo it’s amazing how people make threads without research. Many blacks and Hispanics don’t take that exam to begin with.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
You're drawing a faulty comparison between people making generalizations about an ENTIRE group versus me making an observation about a specific subset further evidence of how you nikkas need to lean into education and away from emotions.
You’re dumb as fukk, it’s literally the same exact equivalence. Lol @ yours being an observations and others being a generalization.

You made a stereotype about an entire group of people (Asian) just like your down syndrome ass was capping for Jewish people when others did the same.

I’m more educated and make more $$$ than you. Let’s ban bet.

You’re a homosexual bum who does nothing but spread anti-black male propaganda. A walking failure you are. You probably resent black men so much because you were raised by women. Ol neck snapping ass bytch