Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I don’t treat as a drill but you have standards you have to learn. And copying homework off instagram is cheating. I can’t stop them posting the shyt on instagram but I can make my work more individualized so this isn’t a factor anymore.

Whats the actual subject you teach? Is it something that most people use in everyday life?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Impossible to correctly understand why black america is like it is today without those two events.

Crack made people glorify fast money and abandon community or formal intellectual development. Delayed gratification was alien, and even worse the media made the pinnacle of black life into them.

Daps
Shut up c00n!!

Native Americans are doing just as badly, they are at 17% proficient

Its a problem of structural entrenched racism that has caused a rot.

Yep, funny how there's a direct correlation in numbers for the two groups that have been systematically and violently oppressed since the birth of this country.... ..WEIRD

Last edited:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
People love to play dumb on here :francis:

@HarlemHottie @Field Marshall Bradley

If Education is so encouraged like yall trying to claim, then why are our people and our schools doing so poorly, across the entire Nation? :jbhmm:
It's not a mystery. Its bc the 'priests of academia' have become white instead of black. Change the teachers, change the vibes.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Yep, funny how there's a direct correlation in numbers for the two groups that have been systematically and violent oppressed since the birth of this country.... ..WEIRD

most stats bear this out but for some odd reason when we're talking about Black kids performing worse than every other group, somehow, the parents are to blame.

:francis:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I work with kids. I’ve been teaching since 2015. Out of every kid I’ve interacted with, way more than 12% knew the basics of literacy.

I agree we need to take education more seriously, and there are a TON of kids behind. But 12?! Hell naw!!!

That's what's up, I meant no disrespect by my comments. I'm in a town with a pretty fukked up school system on top of a lot of poverty coupled with a massive digital divide as well. Some of the buffer that exists in larger cities isn't there in mine. While 12% might be stretching the numbers, outside of college prep/magnet schools, I don't think ANY black kids are coming out reading at level. We don't emphasize it in the homes, and we expect teachers to do too much.

I am a teacher and a big problem I have is students posting the assigned worksheets on instagram. So now I am giving random pop quizzes with 7-8 different versions so they cannot cheat. I don’t let them know they have different versions and it’s sink or swim. One way or another we have to find a way to reach these kids because while some are advancing a lot are getting behind intentionally

I've heard my teacher friends go through similar. That's almost more work than just knowing the material. But again, when kids can read at level, learning almost anything is easy. Hell, I remember not being able to have my phone in class because it had a calculator. Now, kids can dupe entire worksheets?
No wonder we're in this situation.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
most stats bear this out but for some odd reason when we're talking about Black kids performing worse than every other group, somehow, the parents are to blame.

:francis:

The system is to blame, but at some point one has to take control of their own home. Causation isn't reason for perpetuation. On this topic, I'm not sympathetic. We aren't saying people need to found Fortune 500 companies. Teaching your kid how to READ? That shouldn't be some buck we pass off to the school house.

If a kid don't know ABC's and numbers by Kindergarten, that's Mom and Dad's fault not the teachers. When I was young there were a lot of White and Asian kids that went to my school, many of them were way ahead of the black kids in class. Why? Because when they came back from summer break they talked about the books they had to read, or the academic camps they were going too, etc. I saw the white parents (some of them were single moms too) involved. I saw them at PTA meetings, saw them discussing lessons. My momz did the same...but I didn't see a lot of black parents doing that. They were just happy their kid wasn't being a distruption.

Daps
The system is to blame, but at some point one has to take control of their own home. Causation isn't reason for perpetuation. On this topic, I'm not sympathetic. We aren't saying people need to found Fortune 500 companies. Teaching your kid how to READ? That shouldn't be some buck we pass off to the school house.

If a kid don't know ABC's and numbers by Kindergarten, that's Mom and Dad's fault not the teachers. When I was young there were a lot of White and Asian kids that went to my school, many of them were way ahead of the black kids in class. Why? Because when they came back from summer break they talked about the books they had to read, or the academic camps they were going too, etc. I saw the white parents (some of them were single moms too) involved. I saw them at PTA meetings, saw them discussing lessons. My momz did the same...but I didn't see a lot of black parents doing that. They were just happy their kid wasn't being a distruption.

"I want those parents who are being systematically, violently and financially oppressed to take control of their homes"

My guy it's by design, they're either too busy because they make slave wages or have been in the system and have no real education themselves or have been jailed by the state. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT HERE :heh:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
"I want those parents who are being systematically, violently and financially oppressed to take control of their homes"

My guy it's by design, they're either too busy because they make slave wages or have been in the system and have no real education themselves or have been jailed by the state. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT HERE :heh:

I see it every day, man. Both within and outside of my family. Don't get me wrong...two things can be true at the same time. I'm aware of the issues. But if you got a job outside of lawn service....you know how to read. At least a 5th grade level.

If you prioritize your kids, the most valuable thing you can do for your kid, beyond teaching them morals, is teaching them to read.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

WHOA, thats a level of critical thinking and analyzation that is not needed on thecoli

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
It's not a mystery. Its bc the 'priests of academia' have become white instead of black. Change the teachers, change the vibes.

That's only part of it. There's another part but our people don't like to hear it at all, and it's our Culture, well, certain aspects of it.

In 2023, with immediate access to information through cellphones and computers, there is no reason for our kids to be doing much worse than before.

It's not a joke out here. People laugh at white people and their Great Replacement Conspiracy, but the truth of the matter is these foreigners are not playing at all and these 1st and 2nd Generation immigrants aren't going to give a damn about our issues in this country, because they have no part of it.

At this rate, we are making it easier and easier for Republicans and anyone else with an anti-Black agenda to be able to hold us back through legislation. But no, we got people arguing about PWIs and HBCUs and how you aren't Black if you went to a PWI. Shyt is ridiculous.

Reading a headline that basically says over 80% of our Black Youth about to enter adulthood are illiterate does nothing to wake our people up, but say something negative about a Black Fraternity, and heads will be ready to throw hands. Republicans are actively destroying what our elders fought for so we can go to better schools, to vote and to get better jobs, but you rather tell me @HarlemHottie I should have had more fights as an 8-year old in school :beli: