Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
This is the parent’s fault. They don’t read with their kids when they’re young, and they don’t force their kids to read outside of schoolwork, or hire tutors when needed.
yall have GOT to stop saying this. :snoop:

The West is breaking down, yall. The system has become an abattoir where average people are ground to a pulp and do not have the time, comfort, or resources o invest into their families. Cacs are feeling it now, but Black folks have been experiencing it for centuries. As a parent, you COULD have the foresight and resources to empower your children, but to shift the onus on parents is insane.

Like, yall do know basic literacy and families investing in teaching their kids academics is a new concept in the history of mankind, right?

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Most of the parents can not read too
It's generational

True.

The West is breaking down, yall. The system has become an abattoir where average people are ground to a pulp and do not have the time, comfort, or resources o invest into their families. Cacs are feeling it now, but Black folks have been experiencing it for centuries. As a parent, you COULD have the foresight and resources to empower your children, but to shift the onus on parents is insane.

Like, yall do know basic literacy and families investing in teaching their kids academics is a new concept in the history of mankind, right?

So it’s not your job to make sure that your kids know how to read and write?

:dwillhuh:

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
Go look at that situation in Atlanta a few years back where school administrators/teachers was pushing a lot of these kids through from one grade to the next and the kid could barely read or do math

Then u have parents themselves who has basic education and they too lazy to handle responsibility and accountability for their children..
It was bad in Baltimore too. They even did a documentary about it. Failure Factory I believe. Bro, I'm out of breathe about this.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
True.

:dwillhuh:
Breh, Do you think this issue is occurring because lil Jimmy wasnt read enough Dr. Seuss at night? Most parents can only help their child become literate for only half a decade before they no longer have the bandwidth or their children's attention (mind you parents reading to their children to teach literacy is a RECENT PHENOM in human history, i cannot stress this enough).

From there, formal schooling takes place and for decades was the de facto means children's education was developed.

There's a myriad of reasons why these low literacy rates in BLACK CHILDREN are happening well before we hold the parents feet to the fire. Its reductionist and overtly simplistic to say "just read to your kids :troll: ". Sure, that helps. But, its nowhere near a holistic solution.

For starters, these kids have been neglected educationally at all levels of schooling. School is a production based business, the kids are only there to pass the standardized tests, which informs how much funding a school gets. This means that kids are not getting individually tailored educational plans (unless they have IEP which can hurt more than help, not to mention the whole racial issue with IEP/alt schools..). Meaning kids who get left behind, stay behind.

I would also wager the lowest rates of literacy are *SHOCKER* coming from schools in low income areas where they dont have a 1/10th of the resources to help these kids.

Secondly, the bottom has fallen out as far as support systems for most Americans, especially Black folks. I know everyone on the Coli is balling but most people are struggling. Badly. If you werent fortunate to come from a good family with tons of support and access to resources and opportunities, its likely you are a single parent, working shytty job(s), making enough to pay bills and have around a $800-1K of spending money (if youre lucky).

In todays economy, that 1K of discretionary income is hardly enough to buy time/resources to reinvest back into your child. And the govt is no help with psycho republicans cutting programs and telling you youre a awful person if you need any Govt Asst or subsidy.

Once again, im not telling anyone to not have agency and try to fix the problem in house. What I am saying is, see the forest for the trees and realize that this is primarily a systematic problem.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Yeah no wonder other countries laugh at us

My cousin told me he was doin some extra reading the other day to get on the 9th grade level... i thought that was pretty cool.... until i forgot that he was 30 :snoop:

says the poster who disowned his son as a teenager

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Have you heard kids talk today? They speak 24/7 like from some random gunna or lil baby track

It’s not English…

Daps
Reppin
NULL

It’s our job to make sure that the school system gives them a proper education worthy of our tax dollars. Even if you teach your kids how to read prior to the first grade… that is only a foundational element of education

V Skyye

All Star
Daps

Very true. This may be the first time in American history that only the rich can afford to be mediocre in life. In the last 20-30 years, college started being pushed as a sure bet to reach upper middle class. You didn’t need to read or do math well to work in local factories and plants, or as secretaries. And this was fine because the cost of living was reasonable enough for people to afford homes and food.

Today, you need a lot more to have a lot less. It’s a balance because we need people in lower sector jobs. So theoretically, all kids don’t have to be all that bright to support society in the way that it’s currently constructed. But we do need more people who can occupy fields in medicine and technology to not have to import immigrants.

And there’s definitely racial disparity of Black families facing systemic oppression purposely designed to have us working those lower sector jobs. Now that we’ve been squeezed to practically having nothing left, Whites are next in line.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The excuses in this thread are pathetic

We're talking about kids learning how to fukkin read, not astrophysics:snoop: