Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
So you didn't use the context.... I even led with your PERSONAL experience in the previous post. You tried to make your anecdote(which is real life, granted) a general rule in the black community..... So again, let me stress, maybe you weren't getting picked on for being bright...... maybe, you were just a weird, geekish, easy cat to pick on........

Something is seriously wrong with you...

My main point was about Peer Pressure, and the personal example I gave was actually to highlight a drug dealer in the neighborhood who was around 17 or 18, who bought me a new bookbag, and ENCOURAGED me to keep doing good in school, in which I also stated that there are kids who want to discourage, clown or harm you for doing good in school, wanting to learn, wanting good grades, someone like you, who thinks it's ok for others to put hands on someone for... being different.

Preach…. Being smart was never frowned upon when I was growing up in the hood… matter of fact, it was encouraged… as long as you weren’t pretentious or a weirdo, nobody would really fukk with you for the most part… even some of the legit weirdos/geeks in jr high grew bigger and started lifted weights and playing sports… Some were still legit weird but you didn’t want no smoke with em…. Bottom line is what you said…. If you let motherfukkas bully you throughout your entire school years, it’s your fault at the end of the day….

You lack Paternal instincts, thinking it is acceptable for little kids to be harmed physically in school, for simply being different. You are an adult, most likely in your 30s, who justifies an 8-year old having his belongings destroyed by two kids for simply wanting to do good in school.

People like you are part of the problem in this world.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
To add more context to your comment

Grade 12​

NAEP Basic
(265)​
Twelfth-grade students performing at the NAEPBasic level should be able to demonstrate an overall understanding and make some interpretations of the text. When reading text appropriate to twelfth grade, they should be able to identify and relate aspects of the text to its overall meaning, extend the ideas in the text by making simple inferences, recognize interpretations, make connections among and relate ideas in the text to their personal experiences, and draw conclusions. They should be able to identify elements of an author’s style.
NAEP Proficient
(302)​
Twelfth-grade students performing at the NAEPProficient level should be able to show an overall understanding of the text which includes inferential as well as literal information. When reading text appropriate to twelfth grade, they should be able to extend the ideas of the text by making inferences, drawing conclusions, and making connections to their own personal experiences and other readings. Connections between inferences and the text should be clear, even when implicit. These students should be able to analyze the author’s use of literary devices.
NAEP Advanced
(346)​
Twelfth-grade students performing at the NAEPAdvanced level should be able to describe more abstract themes and ideas in the overall text. When reading text appropriate to twelfth grade, they should be able to analyze both the meaning and the form of the text and explicitly support their analyses with specific examples from the text. They should be able to extend the information from the text by relating it to their experiences and to the world. Their responses should be thorough, thoughtful, and extensive.
Yeah...Proficient should definitely be the goal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Something is seriously wrong with you...

My main point was about Peer Pressure, and the personal example I gave was actually to highlight a drug dealer in the neighborhood who was around 17 or 18, who bought me a new bookbag, and ENCOURAGED me to keep doing good in school, in which I also stated that there are kids who want to discourage, clown or harm you for doing good in school, wanting to learn, wanting good grades, someone like you, who thinks it's ok for others to put hands on someone for... being different.

You lack Paternal instincts, thinking it is acceptable for little kids to be harmed physically in school, for simply being different. You are an adult, most likely in your 30s, who justifies an 8-year old having his belongings destroyed by two kids for simply wanting to do good in school.

People like you are part of the problem in this world.

:mjlol:

I'm actually in my 40s.... raising 2 academic warriors...... Listen.... Like I said, that was your personal anecdote.... and the fact of the matter is, if you felt like you were getting bullied for getting good grades and your parents, family couldn't teach you how to remedy that, then that's a failure on all of yall.... cause life aint sweet... you just admitted you had encouragement from street nikkas...... and I never advocated putting hands on anyone... I simply preach respect, or get disrespected.......

You acting like you had it like this....

elizabeth-eckford-ignores-the-hostile.jpg

or this.....

C2_8.jpg

'or maybe this

original.gif

or how bout this....

clinton-tn-school-integration-conflicts-2.jpg

It's in a our fukking DNA/Bloodline to be willing to die for achievement and advancement..... and here you are making a mockery of our ancestry because a class clown joked on you during homeroom over some inconsequential bullshyt.... you just a pie ass nikka and aint man enough to admit it......

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Some kids were already being left behind before the age/wave of technology but now even more so since more & more of them are coming out to get hooked to it. Which is crazy cuz it should enhance their abilities/capabilities rather than stifle it, but that's only if used correctly. That's why it's book time before blue light time in this house. Least yo ass going to know how to do is read/comprehend and that's bare minimum.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
🧢

Don’t fall for this bullshyt. Do y’all honestly believe just 12% of black high school kids are literate?!
I came looking for this. This is exactly why I DO believe it. Bc black folk love to ‘stay on code’ and reject anything that’s not glowing praise :beli:

Way back when we were in school the state tests were just getting implemented and I remember how much pushback there was from teachers and parents.

I can only imagine that feeling has only accelerated and it’s spiraled into this.

And all races are likely struggling but as with many things we don’t have the luxury or other resources to combat it.

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
:mjlol:

I'm actually in my 40s.... raising 2 academic warriors...... Listen.... Like I said, that was your personal anecdote.... and the fact of the matter is, if you felt like you were getting bullied for getting good grades and your parents, family couldn't teach you how to remedy that, then that's a failure on all of yall.... cause life aint sweet... you just admitted you had encouragement from street nikkas...... and I never advocated putting hands on anyone... I simply preach respect, or get disrespected.......

You acting like you had it like this....

elizabeth-eckford-ignores-the-hostile.jpg

or this.....

C2_8.jpg

'or maybe this

original.gif

or how bout this....

clinton-tn-school-integration-conflicts-2.jpg

It's in a our fukking DNA/Bloodline to be willing to die for achievement and advancement..... and here you are making a mockery of our ancestry because a class clown joked on you during homeroom over some inconsequential bullshyt.... you just a pie ass nikka and aint man enough to admit it......

Stop it, you just a wannabe pro-Black Militant on an online message board... while advocating withholding your Black Vote. You are part of the reason why Trump won and Black people gotta deal with the REAL consequences of that.

Also, I've made no mention of our elders, especially in a disparaging way, in this thread, and no comparisons to Jim Crow era. I don't know where you pulled that bs from. Making shyt up to try to appease whomever it is.

This guy signed up to the coli to live out some Black Panther fantasy.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop it, you just a wannabe pro-Black Militant on an online message board... while advocating withholding your Black Vote. You are part of the reason why Trump won and Black people gotta deal with the REAL consequences of that.

Also, I've made no mention of our elders, especially in a disparaging way, in this thread, and no comparisons to Jim Crow era. I don't know where you pulled that bs from. Making shyt up to try to appease whomever it is.

This guy signed up to the coli to live out some Black Panther fantasy.

:laff:

It ain’t shyt for y’all internet nikkas to tell lies to make yourself feel better…..

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I once said on here and got laughed at that most people's entire futures are decided by high school, perhaps even earlier though they may not realize it yet until it's too late.

Anti intellectualism is a disease that needs to be eradicated.
The past insistence on education was geared towards ensuring their kids didn't live out their future lives as servants..what happened to that sort of thinking?

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I came looking for this. This is exactly why I DO believe it. Bc black folk love to ‘stay on code’ and reject anything that’s not glowing praise :beli:

Way back when we were in school the state tests were just getting implemented and I remember how much pushback there was from teachers and parents.

I can only imagine that feeling has only accelerated and it’s spiraled into this.

And all races are likely struggling but as with many things we don’t have the luxury or other resources to combat it.

Terra Nova, shyt was trash.
I like how folks are coping by saying if you test the white kids, the results will be the same.
Short term? Sure.
Long term? Those kids will still have a chance to fail upwards.
Can you say the same for our kids?

I once said on here and got laughed at that most people's entire futures are decided by high school, perhaps even earlier though they may not realize it yet until it's too late.

Anti intellectualism is a disease that needs to be eradicated.
The past insistence on education was geared towards ensuring their kids didn't live out their future lives as servants..what happened to that sort of thinking?

First 15 years of your life dictates the next 50.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

never too late to learn but I couldn't imagine living without that skillset.

Daps

My wife pays $68 every other week for lashes. I don’t know how much the nails cost, but I’m assuming it’s the same. We don’t have children yet. How much are parents spending on other things, and not tutoring?