Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Worded it wrong. I meant those who take pride in their education, are looked down upon by their peers.
This is simply not true. Anti-social weirdos are looked down on by their peers, of all races. I was always uplifted by the hood, nikkas I ain't even know called me 'College', and they said it with love and pride.

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
This is simply not true. Anti-social weirdos are looked down on by their peers, of all races. I was always uplifted by the hood, nikkas I ain't even know called me 'College', and they said it with love and pride.

We aren't going to do this. Children in schools are clowned for raising their hands, answering questions, and being smart. Called a geek, teacher's pet, and other demeaning names, and many kids fall victim to this kind of Peer Pressure.

I was on the receiving end of both sides, had an older Brother selling drugs in the neighborhood buy me a Jansport because my bookbag straps were popped, and he was always proud that I always had my books with me...but they were popped because a couple bad ass kids in my class ripped them off, for always "doing my homework". I ended up fighting them (this was 3rd Grade) but no kid should have to be forced to fight due to taking their education serious.

@Matt504 Peer Pressure is real in many schools.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Have kids after 30.

Be one and done if you make below a certain amount.

If you can't afford to:

Live in a neighborhood where the local high schools have an average SAT score higher than 1200.

Or

Send your kid to a private school with a comparable score...then you should join #DINKGANG and leave having kids to the jokers who can afford it.

vino

Superstar
Daps
I was on the receiving end of both sides, had an older Brother selling drugs in the neighborhood buy me a Jansport because my bookbag straps were popped, and he was always proud that I always had my books with me...but they were popped because a couple bad ass kids in my class ripped them off, for always "doing my homework". I ended up fighting them (this was 3rd Grade) but no kid should have to be forced to fight due to taking their education serious.

@Matt504 Peer Pressure is real in many schools.

That may vary from neighborhoods because people were proud of the smart ones in the neighborhoods I came from. They always looked at them as being able to make it out. What you see more is this belief that attaining good grades or being “smart” is something out of reach or that the person was born with. Jokes will happen but “smart kids” were looked after or people made sure they stayed out the bs. The vibe I saw from people, not focus on the education piece, was more “defeated” in the realm academics (some of sharpest minded people too). I didn’t see it as look down upon.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
As one who used to work with kids.....yes.

Literacy isn't just about phonics. Plenty of kids can look at a word and sound it out. The issue is in reading comprehension and the ability to extract meaning from word/sentences.
I remember I asked a kid to read a passage once about the ocean in contained words like vast, boundless and tides. When I asked him what it was about he said...."i dunno, but Tide is like clothes detergent so maybe its about that?"

I damn near wanted to jump off a bridge.

But the biggest thing is that we don't teach kids to read for pleasure. Even when millenials were young and playing video games, you had to read all that shyt because none of it was voiced. So now with all their needs in a phone, all they need to understand is symbology (logos, symbols for share or reply) and watch the rest.
TikTok's damage ain't just because it's China...it's because it's stupefying.
Fyi @staticshock is a teacher...

But I think you have a point about social media and screens.

In my earlier post I showed that the NAEP had 50% of Black 12 graders below basic in 2019. In 1992 this number was st 39%. We had less struggling readers at the peak of the crack epidemic than we do now. I think that is a bigger story though Proficience is also important.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Literacy isn't just about phonics. Plenty of kids can look at a word and sound it out. The issue is in reading comprehension and the ability to extract meaning from word/sentences.
I remember I asked a kid to read a passage once about the ocean in contained words like vast, boundless and tides. When I asked him what it was about he said...."i dunno, but Tide is like clothes detergent so maybe its about that?"

But the biggest thing is that we don't teach kids to read for pleasure. Even when millenials were young and playing video games, you had to read all that shyt because none of it was voiced. So now with all their needs in a phone, all they need to understand is symbology (logos, symbols for share or reply) and watch the rest.

I work with kids. I’ve been teaching since 2015. Out of every kid I’ve interacted with, way more than 12% knew the basics of literacy.

I agree we need to take education more seriously, and there are a TON of kids behind. But 12?! Hell naw!!!

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE

I am a teacher and a big problem I have is students posting the assigned worksheets on instagram. So now I am giving random pop quizzes with 7-8 different versions so they cannot cheat. I don’t let them know they have different versions and it’s sink or swim. One way or another we have to find a way to reach these kids because while some are advancing a lot are getting behind intentionally

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:dead: you think an AI can manage a classroom of black children dealing with learning disabilities (ADHD, ADD, dyslexia, processing disorder) and mental health issues (anxiety, depression, PTSD) who may come from households with negative role models, adverse attitudes/lack of prioritization toward education, no reinforcement of learning, generational poverty.

Scandinavia is not America.

Ok

Let these schools get the routine school shooting being normalized. :yeshrug:

The old rigorous standards of an outdated learning system has to die, or else students will react violently towards teachers.

Yeah, if we dont embrace the TED Talks method of learning, everything is done for.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
If getting called a nerd, is what prevents you from excelling. That comes down to parents

Its the social life as well. Imagine your social life getting stunted, not having many friends, not having a relationship with the opposite gender, simply cause your peers ruined your social reputation in the most formative years?

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
I am a teacher and a big problem I have is students posting the assigned worksheets on instagram. So now I am giving random pop quizzes with 7-8 different versions so they cannot cheat. I don’t let them know they have different versions and it’s sink or swim. One way or another we have to find a way to reach these kids because while some are advancing a lot are getting behind intentionally

What subject you teaching and how effectively are you teaching it? If You treat your profession as a drill exercise instead of pleasure, then no one will learn, or learn as little as possible to pass your class and forget it altogether.

Manny2828

Pro
Daps
Who is this article intended for? What do you want us to do with this information? Y’all post this shyt every year on here on how black kids are failing tests and the answers usually falls down to the parents.