Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I was a black kid. How could I believe black kids are stupid? Next time let try to discuss this rationally instead of both of us being sarcastic.
There’s nothing to discuss. I know bullshyt when I see it

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
No excuse for this.

Can't blame the white man, bc even slaves taught each other how to read.

I have personally noticed some kids who are 16-ish and they aren't where I was at 16 in terms of pronunciation and knowing the meaning of words when reading .

And these kids go to good schools. Some of it is phones just being a supreme distraction in school

Starts at home. Parents are plopping their kids on the phones and games/sports instead of enforcing reading and learning at home.

There is enough time to do everything when you're young

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Especially in the case of Black boys some of it is cultural. A lot of Black parents are not actively involved enough in their children's education. I once got asked how my children read so well and I just said just make it a habit to read to your children everyday.

There are also systematic issues. I actually think schools just passing children to the next grade is so detrimental without passing certain skill checks. I also think Black boys need more support especially in those early years that just isn't I've pushed for it on the boards I sit in but there is so much pushback and I am like you can't build a community where only girls/women succeed.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
🧢

Don’t fall for this bullshyt. Do y’all honestly believe just 12% of black high school kids are literate?!

As one who used to work with kids.....yes.

Literacy isn't just about phonics. Plenty of kids can look at a word and sound it out. The issue is in reading comprehension and the ability to extract meaning from word/sentences.
I remember I asked a kid to read a passage once about the ocean in contained words like vast, boundless and tides. When I asked him what it was about he said...."i dunno, but Tide is like clothes detergent so maybe its about that?"

I damn near wanted to jump off a bridge.

But the biggest thing is that we don't teach kids to read for pleasure. Even when millenials were young and playing video games, you had to read all that shyt because none of it was voiced. So now with all their needs in a phone, all they need to understand is symbology (logos, symbols for share or reply) and watch the rest.
TikTok's damage ain't just because it's China...it's because it's stupefying.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Especially in the case of Black boys some of it is cultural. A lot of Black parents are not actively involved enough in their children's education. I once got asked how my children read so well and I just said just make it a habit to read to your children everyday.

There are also systematic issues. I actually think schools just passing children to the next grade is so detrimental without passing certain skill checks. I also think Black boys need more support especially in those early years that just isn't I've pushed for it on the boards I sit in but there is so much pushback and I am like you can't build a community where only girls/women succeed.

Have you read Dr. Tommy Curry's work

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
I wouldn’t be shocked if Black immigrants are making up the majority of black children passing (based off my personal experience in academics + career).

Black immigrants might actually have a better grasp of white supremacy than Black Americans. Education is the only pipeline of prosperity for most black immigrant families. I think white folks placated Black Americans with pseudo-equality, essentially causing Black Americans to take their “foot off the pedal”.

*not trying to start a diaspora war. I’m sure someone can explain the “foot off the pedal” better than me.
Absolutely not

@IllmaticDelta
@K.O.N.Y
@HarlemHottie

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
It starts at Home, continues in School, and ends with the individual taking Pride in being illiterate or uneducated, trying to find other ways (and failing) to succeed in Life.

Parent-Teacher Conferences should be Mandatory in Schools, or at least mandatory communication between Parents and Teachers. Teachers also need to face harsher disciplinary actions if too many students are failing or below their Grade Levels. And kids need to be given a dose of reality and shown the many examples of what happens when you don't take your education seriously, which has a huge effect on their Lives.

Sadly, most parents don't really give a damn how their children are doing in school, and many struggle trying to help their children with their homework.

Education is the most beneficial path towards success, but has the strongest negative stigma towards those who take pride in it.

Last edited:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I wouldn’t be shocked if Black immigrants are making up the majority of black children passing (based off my personal experience in academics + career).

Black immigrants might actually have a better grasp of white supremacy than Black Americans. Education is the only pipeline of prosperity for most black immigrant families. I think white folks placated Black Americans with pseudo-equality, essentially causing Black Americans to take their “foot off the pedal”.

*not trying to start a diaspora war. I’m sure someone can explain the “foot off the pedal” better than me.

Of course a Nigerian would say this bullshyt

If that was the case why doesn't it reflect your homeland

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
It starts at Home, continues in School, and ends with the individual taking Pride in being illiterate or uneducated, trying to find other ways (and failing) to succeed in Life.

Parent-Teacher Conferences should be Mandatory in Schools, or at least mandatory communication between Parents and Teachers. Teachers also need to face harsher disciplinary actions if too many students are failing or below their Grade Levels. And kids need to be given a dose of reality and shown the many examples of what happens when you don't take your education seriously, which has a huge effect on their Lives.

Sadly, most parents don't really give a damn how their children are doing in school, and many struggle trying to help their children with their homework.

Education is the most beneficial path towards success, but has the strongest negative stigma for those who take pride in it.

there's a negative stigma for taking pride in education?