Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Not saying hip hop is the cause but its a factor in this mess.

def don't help, but it's not just the music. It's our culture that is portrayed in all media that needs to be examined.

i know it's not just us having to deal with social media clout chasing and attention whoring, but again we are not in the position to fall behind. Combine that with the image/culture and no balance portrayed with our people and we're in the state we are now.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
🧢

Don’t fall for this bullshyt. Do y’all honestly believe just 12% of black high school kids are literate?!
It's not that 12% are literate. It's that 12% are proficient, meaning they read at an expected grade level for their age. The point is that 88% can read but read at a much younger child's level, going into adulthood. That's...bad. Very bad.

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Result of bad/no parenting and social media. Mainly the lack of parents teaching priorities and the fact that TikTok is mainstream as fukk.

I sometimes feel weird when I have to reword or explain my word usage to people in my age group because their vocabulary isn't as broad, knowing I really don't even have that extreme of a vocabulary. I mean I'm up there and always trying to understand more elaborate terms, definitions, and syntax, but I still don't think it should be so much of a distance between me and people that graduated within a few years of me.

I do notice a lot of them say they didn't take school seriously, but neither did I. I just liked English/reading/speech kuz they were the easiest and potentially the most important for success. Only classes besides gym that I never skipped.

Sure I had ap English language and AP literature my last 2 years but honestly those should be standard kuz they weren't difficult at all. It's just a memory game. You have to pay attention tho

Then how you did you do on the AP exam if it was super easy? How bout others in the class? You get a 4 or 5 to skip freshman English in college?

Lots of school offer AP...but students don't even take the AP Exam (lot of public school kids)which seems like a waste if you taking AP classes.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Did you test these real people in reading? Speaking skill and reading skill don’t always match up.
Yeah, I bring my course materials every time I leave the house. :skip:

If you wanna believe black kids are stupid, that’s on you. I choose to trust what my eyes see.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

If you wanna believe black kids are stupid, that’s on you. I choose to trust what my eyes see.
Your head is in the sand don’t know who you trying to save face for either.

Only one talking about “stupid” is you and it just shows you can’t think critically or comprehend what you’re reading.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: TEH

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldn’t be shocked if Black immigrants are making up the majority of black children passing (based off my personal experience in academics + career).

Black immigrants might actually have a better grasp of white supremacy than Black Americans. Education is the only pipeline of prosperity for most black immigrant families. I think white folks placated Black Americans with pseudo-equality, essentially causing Black Americans to take their “foot off the pedal”.

*not trying to start a diaspora war. I’m sure someone can explain the “foot off the pedal” better than me.

You opening an uncomfortable can of worms. Remove black immigrants and 1st or 2nd gen immigrants from a lot of these statistics and the picture is even worse.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin

I was a black kid. How could I believe black kids are stupid? Next time let try to discuss this rationally instead of both of us being sarcastic.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
You opening an uncomfortable can of worms. Remove black immigrants and 1st or 2nd gen immigrants from a lot of these statistics and the picture is even worse.

I think it's important that we get more granular data for this exact reason. we shouldn't just lump all people of African descent into one pile because it's impossible to tell where the most help is needed.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
These children are struggling too in NYC schools.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
def don't help, but it's not just the music. It's our culture that is portrayed in all media that needs to be examined.

i know it's not just us having to deal with social media clout chasing and attention whoring, but again we are not in the position to fall behind. Combine that with the image/culture and no balance portrayed with our people and we're in the state we are now.
music is the corner stone of the culture. And for kids its a much larger part of their life than we care to admit. What can you expect from a culture when sexy red is being invited to perform at black high schools? That's who they are propping up as successful and something to aspire too for black kids. There are 100 female rappers out now but name 1 not rapping about their coochie?

Back in the 90s even gangsta rappers were literate. Ice cube etc.. Lyricism and being a wordsmith was a badge of honor. 2pac was only 25 when he died. All that thought provoking music of his was made while a kid. Nas was 17 when he started illimatic. Now these kids are listening to functioning drug addicts that might be autistic like young boy and lil baby etc. They cant even string words together coherently in a interview much less in their music and we wonder why the kids are illiterate.

vino

Superstar
Daps
You're speaking directly to the value of representation. We literally have to see it to be it. There are a lot of kids in predominately white spaces who are dealing with imposter syndrome because they're the only ones present and that's before you get into the topic of the other kids intentionally ostracizing the only Black kids present.

:francis:

Any time we see Black children, we have ours connect. Here’s an example, my daughter met a girl at her camp and they exchanged gifts with parent contact information. (this was to stay in contact). We arranged a play date but also found out what they’re doing with their child as well.

I also was able to tap in to other resources connecting with Asian and Indian parents too. Everyone is very social in my area and it’s been huge with finding resources while making sure my children feel a part of the community.

I think a lot of not doing boils down to parents not communicating with other parents too. I don’t just keep it at Black people. I talk to everyone because I need my children able to compete in a diverse world. Also, you find more information to resources this way.

KBtheKey

Top Tier
Daps
Reppin
#Swhtx
Then how you did you do on the AP exam if it was super easy? How bout others in the class? You get a 4 or 5 to skip freshman English in college?

Lots of school offer AP...but students don't even take the AP Exam (lot of public school kids)which seems like a waste if you taking AP classes.
I got the college credit for both English language and literature. Didn't go to college. Everyone else in the AP classes did as well, if I remember correctly. People that weren't ready weren't moved to AP, or went back to regular classes if they were already in it. The ones that took AP either requested it themselves, had their parents request it, or their regular teacher recommended them to take it, pretty much saying they were too far ahead to do normal shyt.

My homeroom teacher had us do a creative writing essay one day and when she read mine she begged me to switch to AP and I'm glad she did. Took me away from some of the distractions and increased my thirst for knowledge, at least for language. I feel like I should've taken ap Spanish too kuz I'd be more fluent than I am now.

I don't think not taking the exam is a waste, especially if you're unsure about college, but only if you actively absorbed what was being taught and retained it

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If the issue is simple reading and math then that tells me people not invested into education especially adolescent education like they should, and that goes for everybody not just bad parents

You are absolutely right because the formative years are up until like 8 years old.. They're really sponges from 2 until 7 years old +/- .. You got a segment amongst the black men and women parents who really don't value adolescent education. They believe their child will magically go into a school of young white b*tch teachers, who basically teach in the inner city to get their student loans forgiven so they can transfer out. And come out a genius.. Thats why inner city schools are labeled baby sitters and a lot of teachers where I live are transferring or retiring in large numbers because they don't have time for the bullsh*t..

The black race in america is in series trouble because were distracted by superficial billsh*t. We're way better than this.