Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Daps
We need to change how the foundation of learning is TAUGHT. Excess book reports and time away from your family and your hobbies leads to hatred and the mentality of escapism.
So every other race can do it, but we can’t? Why do the standards always have to be changed for us? We have to meet the standards. We have a vastly different home life than other groups. We have entire families with people who have kids out of wedlock. We have kids being raised by grandparents. We have too many single moms. Our music lyrics are trash. The kids can memorize those lyrics, but not their school lessons. That shows the problem isn’t just comprehension. We don’t value the right things. We do things differently, then wonder why we have different results.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
It’s strictly parenting and cultural at this point there’s no excuses in 2023.

This is why black kids struggle in college or end up getting degrees in lesser fields.

I also saw a video not long ago about the link between ADHD/ADD and dysfunctional households and it explains a lot.

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
It's a bleek future for the community.

I was recently visiting a family member in the hospital.

On the wall near the family lounge they have photos and names of every fellow and resident in the wing. About 90 individuals total. A bunch of whites, Hispanics, Indians, Asians, etc. I counted 8 black people. 8!

Kicker was, not a single one of them was a black man. 8 black people sparsely spread out and all were women.

The only black men on staff in this wing were in the security, administrative (front desk) or custodial divisions. Sad.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
The American education system has to die, so that a better one takes its place. All these schools do, is teach you to HATE the foundation of learning.

I hope A.I. replaces the teaching profession at some point in our lifetimes.
:dead: you think an AI can manage a classroom of black children dealing with learning disabilities (ADHD, ADD, dyslexia, processing disorder) and mental health issues (anxiety, depression, PTSD) who may come from households with negative role models, adverse attitudes/lack of prioritization toward education, no reinforcement of learning, generational poverty.

Scandinavia is not America.

Anno Domini

All Star
Daps
🧢

Don’t fall for this bullshyt. Do y’all honestly believe just 12% of black high school kids are literate?!

When I see studies like this I’m always skeptical, same way how I feel when crime stats are brought up, I think people be remixing them numbers somehow and they never provide context

This isn't a "study". This is raw data from the NAEP which is a national exam administered by the US department of Education, specifically to track issues like this. You can view the data yourself directly on their site The Nation's Report Card

And by illiterate they aren't saying they can't read at all, they're saying they can't read at a level that's expected of their age.

Harry Sax

Formally mr 321
Daps
There’s not a competitive focus on education. I have my my kids in a lot math and english programs. I unfortunately only see Asian and Indians there. I rarely see other Black kids.
i was in quite a few programs myself while in elementary...i was in gifted...only black student...was on the future problem solvers team where we won 3rd place in the state, only black student....that shyt sublimilally (sp?) discouraged me because im from the hood and none of my peers were ever in these spaces with me

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Taking the small anecdotal evidence of captions and text messages I see on daily. :patrice:
in that case the same can be said about the members on this board, because i shake my head at some of the grammatical errors i read here. i mean some of the most basic shyt too.

Marlow Stanfield

Superstar
Daps
I had them Kumon then switch to Best Brains. I also, called the library to utilize these bundle pick ups. The books are coded to match the school reading curriculum and to ensure they’re reading at level. We switch the bundle of books out bi-weekly or so. Then I signed up for the library reading program, this program incentivizes them based how many books are read.

I will say, we speak with our school administrators often and volunteer. They will connect you with all the free resources provided from your school district. (for those that can’t afford the Kumon/Best Brains). My oldest completed a a free math program this summer. The met her, virtually, every morning.
Education starts in the home. Full stop.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Here's the problem, kids need attention. They need unconditional love and to know unconditional love. Some of you have pointed out the importance of parenting in this situation and it's pretty much one of the two main issues.

When a child feels they don't have enough attention, guess what? They're going to try and seek ways how to get attention - they're going to look at who and how they're getting attention. When they see the girl/boy they like, their parents, etc. give a lot of attention to rappers and influencers, guess who they'll try to be like?

Another thing is when kids get denied attention, what do kids do? Show out. Be rebellious. Act like the bad kid.

Combine all that together and you have a clout-chasing/thirsty, batshyt crazy, chip on their shoulder undeveloped mind who constantly needs validation. Boring stuff like "school" that doesn't get much attention is basically the last priority. Then the fact that they do poorly in school only grows that chip on their shoulder.

I've seen this time and time again. It's a cycle - the effect gives energy to the cause, which creates the effect which gives energy to the cause, etc.

Kids who have and know unconditional love don't got these problems. They got internal validation and don't need it externally. They know they're loved.
Part of the problem is full-time/overtime work which stacked on top of the problem that many parents are too busy giving attention to a celebrity lifestyle that they never attained - they don't give their kids attention and the above cycle starts.

Edit: This is also why a country like China is outlawing Western culture more and more when it comes to entertainment. Although their culture is heavy on conditional love/education attainment, when those kids look to see who's getting attention they'll see the brightest thinkers on TV and social media (remember TikTok's algorithm in China). That means that instead of somebody flashing guns against their community, they're aspiring to be the scientist. So when those kids look at ways how to get attention, they see people working on academics getting the love. I think I saw recently some famous scientist died and his funeral was all over their TV.

Last edited:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
i was in quite a few programs myself while in elementary...i was in gifted...only black student...was on the future problem solvers team where we won 3rd place in the state, only black student....that shyt sublimilally (sp?) discouraged me because im from the hood and none of my peers were ever in these spaces with me

You're speaking directly to the value of representation. We literally have to see it to be it. There are a lot of kids in predominately white spaces who are dealing with imposter syndrome because they're the only ones present and that's before you get into the topic of the other kids intentionally ostracizing the only Black kids present.

:francis:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
No excuse for this.

Can't blame the white man, bc even slaves taught each other how to read.

I have personally noticed some kids who are 16-ish and they aren't where I was at 16 in terms of pronunciation and knowing the meaning of words when reading .

And these kids go to good schools. Some of it is phones just being a supreme distraction in school

Starts at the crib...always.

If you value education at home, it'll show. :yeshrug:

Our school district took away phones starting this school year in the classroom. Good riddance. Others need to do the same.

But for our people, we are not in a position to continue to fall behind. Education is something even the white man can't take away. Value the shyt and make sure your kids do as well.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Here's the problem, kids need attention. They need unconditional love and to know unconditional love. Some of you have pointed out the importance of parenting in this situation and it's pretty much one of the two main issues.

When a child feels they don't have enough attention, guess what? They're going to try and seek ways how to get attention - they're going to look at who and how they're getting attention. When they see the girl/boy they like, their parents, etc. give a lot of attention to rappers and influencers, guess who they'll try to be like?

Another thing is when kids get denied attention, what do kids do? Show out. Act like the bad kid.

Combine all that together and you have a clout-chasing/thirsty, batshyt crazy, chip on their shoulder undeveloped mind who constantly needs validation. Boring stuff like "school" is basically the last priority. Then the fact that they do poorly in school only grows that chip on their shoulder.

I've seen this time and time again.

Kids who have and know unconditional love don't got these problems. Part of the problem is full-time/overtime work which stacked on top of the problem that many parents are too busy giving attention to a celebrity lifestyle that they never attained - they don't give their kids attention and the above cycle starts.

:salute: