Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yeah, I find it hard to believe also. I would more read it as only 12% of black students gave a fukk about the test. I can’t tell you how many students I knew that were capable of being “school” smart but just really didn’t trust the system to play it all the way out or just didn’t care for school or the curriculum in general.
Excuse

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
and for all you “hold black people accountable” team, are y’all invested into black education

We're talking simple reading and math because this is what the topic is about.. The real question will.always be are you invested in your black children?

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, I find it hard to believe also. I would more read it as only 12% of black students gave a fukk about the test. I can’t tell you how many students I knew that were capable of being “school” smart but just really didn’t trust the system to play it all the way out or just didn’t care for school or the curriculum in general.
That still equals failure on the households. Why the hell would only 12% GAF about the test?

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
We're talking simple reading and math because this is what the topic is about.. The real question will.always be are you invested in your black children?
If the issue is simple reading and math then that tells me people not invested into education especially adolescent education like they should, and that goes for everybody not just bad parents

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing is if you study American history getting an education was the "Blackest" thing you could do. It is not by accident that a significant amount of the desegregation cases were school or education based (i.e. Brown v. Board of Education, Meredith v. University of Mississippi or Little Rock 9) and really spanning back to Reconstruction and the building of modern-day HBCUs. Where did it take a left turn is the question.

But you are right the perspective of education = a tool of upward mobility is different among immigrants (regardless of place of origin) vs. Americans (Black or white). Immigrants see education as a way out of poverty like certain ppl see sports and entertainment in the same light. You do not have a debate on whether a college education is worth it among a lot of immigrant circles which is opposite from American circles regardless of race.
Big Facts, we need to promote that message more

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
It’s a mix of racism, class, culture, and bad parenting. Institutional racism definitely has a large impact on the state of the Black community. The system was designed for us to fail. People living in poverty also are often focused on the day to day. A lot of times parents are working long shifts, two jobs, and don’t have time to properly parent. It doesn’t cost anything to get a library card, read with your kids, help them with homework, and talk to them about their day. But it does cost time. And parents have to think it’s important.

Looking at stats across races, this appears to be an American problem. And we all know Blacks are often disproportionately affected by every society ill. So if Whites and Asians are doing just ok, Blacks and Hispanics will often do terrible. To whoever asked how do we compete? We aren’t. And we haven’t had a competitive mindset in a long time.

Daps
a lot of comprehension issues stem from not being able to focus.

that can either be environment related

or

do you guys think that some of these kids have issues with ADD, and have gone unnoticed due to lack of medical coverage?
They’re being born, and their mothers most likely have Medicaid.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
So another more worrisome statistic I read, regarding buying power, which affects things such as party and political support:

Latinx Buying Power: $2.5 trillion
Black Buying Power: $1.6 trillion
Asian Buying Power: $1.3 trillion

Growth rate:
Over the same time period,
Asian American buying power grew by 111%;
the buying power for those of Hispanic ethnicity grew by 87%,
Native American buying power grew by 67%,
and African American buying power grew by 61%.

Asians are the smallest minority group in the nation, they should not be about to lap and it's highly worrisome that they are, and not only in states like California.

If these kids can't shape up it ain't looking good straight up. Too much influence by people like Kai Cenat over the community.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You know what's really fukking disturbing? My girl's dermatology and OBGYN appointments are at an office that's right next to a pediatrician office. So when we're in the waiting room there are little kids everywhere. Often times there are kids of all different races in there but the thing I see the most is little white kids and little black kids...and you can immediately tell the white kids are speaking clearer and better than black kids, from young ages. Like...three year old kids, talking in near complete sentences, vs a majority of black kids grunting or crying or laughing. That's not to say I've never seen young black kids speaking clearly, I have seen some. And I have friends with talkative young black children. I live in a nice area, relatively high medium incomes for whites and blacks.

I'll watch as white parents talk to their children, from very young ages. VS a lot of black parents (specifically black moms) being rather severe and terse with their children. Sit down, stop talking, be quiet, no, etc. Speaking to infants at a young age helps teach them languages. Reading to them helps develop their brains. And I'm not convinced this is happening at high enough levels with black parents.

Reading levels are down across the board for people in 2023 and yet we still see these gaps. That tells me it's something that starts early, and by the time you're in 6th grade and can barely read it's too late. You're just getting by at that point, the teachers are more concerned with getting the entire class to the end of the year VS helping individuals there is no guidance at home. These are cracks that an ACTIVE parent could prevent a child from falling in.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
I noticed that even slang/AAVE words are getting mangled by a lack of comprehension in young folks

Like instead of saying "you done fukked up" I see some young people on social media saying "You then fukked up" cuz thats what it sounds like to them. But thats not how the words work :beli:

Not to mention: Their/There, Sales/Sells, Whether/Rather, Could've/ Could of etc etc

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I noticed that even slang/AAVE words are getting mangled by a lack of comprehension in young folks

Like instead of saying "you done fukked up" I see some young people on social media saying "You then fukked up" cuz thats what it sounds like to them. But thats not how the words work :beli:

Not to mention: Their/There, Sales/Sells, Whether/Rather, Could've/ Could of etc etc

what city are you from, the "you then" just hit very close to home for me.

:francis: