Only 17% of Black 12th graders nationally are proficient in literacy.

Dark Knyght

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
🧢

Don’t fall for this bullshyt. Do y’all honestly believe just 12% of black high school kids are literate?!
Yeah, I find it hard to believe also. I would more read it as only 12% of black students gave a fukk about the test. I can’t tell you how many students I knew that were capable of being “school” smart but just really didn’t trust the system to play it all the way out or just didn’t care for school or the curriculum in general.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I made a post talking about how African Americans care too much about entertainment and I got flamed for it

all types of "Americans do that in general! why single us out?" cope like we aren't the worst with this shyt when we are NOT in a position to be overly focused on bullshyt. We got encyclopedic knowledge of actors, musicians & athletes but don't care to know about shyt that actually matters in life. And it's not just the kids, it's the adults too and even our elderly (boomers)

The culture of delayed gratification, growth-mindset, doing the hard work then playing hard.

If only these kids knew the most laborious part is college and/or your first professional job. After 2-3 years of experience they can $150k+ (without working that out). A great amount of these corporate jobs are easy once you’re in.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
I had them Kumon then switch to Best Brains. I also, called the library to utilize these bundle pick ups. The books are coded to match the school reading curriculum and to ensure they’re reading at level. We switch the bundle of books out bi-weekly or so. Then I signed up for the library reading program, this program incentivizes them based how many books are read.

I will say, we speak with our school administrators often and volunteer. They will connect you with all the free resources provided from your school district. (for those that can’t afford the Kumon/Best Brains). My oldest completed a a free math program this summer. The met her, virtually, every morning.
Exactly. The resources are absolutely there and available. Parents need to be involved and searching for this shyt.

My aunt was telling us how many amazing free programs were available back in the day. She said she and my uncle enrolled their kids in a bunch of programs in their county. When they’d show up, they’d be damn near one of the only Black families at all the programs.
How’d they find them? Ads in the newspaper and posted at the local library.

She said one day a few of the parents turned to her and asked “We have our kids in some of the same programs. May we ask, how you found out about these things?” She was like “Uh, the newspaper 👀” and they acted shocked. Lol

There are a lot of resources out there if you care enough about having well-rounded children.

I’m sorry but real talk- a lot of people don’t understand the art of REARING children.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Dude.. If nobody in your personal life encourages your academic success, you may still end up with piss poor results despite having the best teachers/schools. Education has to be cultivated outside of the four walls of a school building..

This is the part that keeps getting glossed over and excused

Expecting the school/government/nice white people to do everything for you is a huge problem with us.

This shyt starts at home

I blame parents. No reinforcement. This is why you shouldn't have more than 1 child if you can't put time into them.

This can be blamed on parents more than anything else. If you're ever around high achieving Asians, you can tell they're super competive when it comes to academics. This is because their parents beat them for not being at the top of their class and send them to tutoring outside of school. Compared to going to a predominantly black school the attitudes aren't even close.

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Until dysfunctiponal parents are held to account by the higher power, it'll never change.

If your child cant read at a certain age, the parent has to get hauled in somewhere..
THEY WON’T.

That’s why shyt is so critical.
The “high powers” aren’t calling shyt out because terrible parents produce low-achieving children who grow up to be the unskilled workforce in this country.

They need these kids to fail so there’s less competition for the > middle class careers. It’s parents’ job to inspire their children to reach for the stars. Schools pour into your children when they recognize that zest for learning.

I was damn near forced to attend one of the best prep schools in my state because the school admins loved me so much. They knew that kind of school would put me on the radar for top universities. They were right. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t get my ass beat a few times and forced to study :russ:

People popping out kids with no plan for their lives. Smdh

Last edited:

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldn’t be shocked if Black immigrants are making up the majority of black children passing (based off my personal experience in academics + career).

Black immigrants might actually have a better grasp of white supremacy than Black Americans. Education is the only pipeline of prosperity for most black immigrant families. I think white folks placated Black Americans with pseudo-equality, essentially causing Black Americans to take their “foot off the pedal”.

*not trying to start a diaspora war. I’m sure someone can explain the “foot off the pedal” better than me.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
I wouldn’t be shocked if Black immigrants are making up the majority of black children passing (based off my personal experience in academics + career).

Black immigrants might actually have a better grasp of white supremacy than Black Americans. Education is the only pipeline of prosperity for most black immigrant families. I think white folks placated Black Americans with pseudo-equality, essentially causing Black Americans to take their “foot off the pedal”.

*not trying to start a diaspora war. I’m sure someone can explain the “foot off the pedal” better than me.

The thing is if you study American history getting an education was the "Blackest" thing you could do. It is not by accident that a significant amount of the desegregation cases were school or education based (i.e. Brown v. Board of Education, Meredith v. University of Mississippi or Little Rock 9) and really spanning back to Reconstruction and the building of modern-day HBCUs. Where did it take a left turn is the question.

But you are right the perspective of education = a tool of upward mobility is different among immigrants (regardless of place of origin) vs. Americans (Black or white). Immigrants see education as a way out of poverty like certain ppl see sports and entertainment in the same light. You do not have a debate on whether a college education is worth it among a lot of immigrant circles which is opposite from American circles regardless of race.