One of the most frustrating things youll see today: Jeff Bezos wealth visualized in pixels

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russell:amazon pays above market rate for nearly all their positions.
This just isn’t true. Amazon is notoriously uncompetitive vs. other FAANGs in terms of compensation.

The only reason wages are so competitive for low skilled work is because productivity expectations are incredibly high. Amazon’s AWS businesses also subsidizes its Retail business.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yes i agree that this is how value can be determined. But price (not the same as value) is simply what someone willing to sell for vs. what someone is willing to buy at. Both of these are based on many factors. The main factors in the stock market is speculation of what someone will be willing to pay in the future which is based on speculation of future value which is based on estimates of future KPIs. So yes, fundamentals is a factor but ultimately it's still a speculation game.

I see what you are saying and im not trying to debate for the sake of debating. What im trying to say is that it's not like Bezos could just trade all his shares tomorrow for 185B. And if we agree that he couldn't, is he really "worth" 185B? I think once you get to certain amounts of net worth especially if it's attached to stocks, the concept of value becomes somewhat abstract. It gives access to credit and power yes, but i think the game goes much deeper once you get to certain numbers. It becomes politics, strategic alliances, creativity and resourcefulness.

If I have 10 houses all valued at market rate, $100K, but I want to sell them all in a week, I’d probably have to sell at least some at less than market value right? If all the houses are worth $1M if I take my time selling them, but only $700K if I decide I need to sell them all this week, is my worth $1M or $700K?

Bezos could unwind his position, selling his stock, it would just take a lot of time because of how massive it is.

4M shares of Amazon are traded on average daily. That’s about $1.2B worth of buying and selling. It’d take Bezos less than 200 days to sell through all of his stock worth with that volume.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Higher taxes won’t change anything unless you implement a wealth tax, which will never happen and be impossible to manage, because most of the wealth is unrealized and generated via capital, not labor

I’ll give you an example of what my parents do.

They have a pledged asset line backed by their stock (and other assets) that they can use to fund their lifestyle. They don’t incur any capital gains on their stock because it wasn’t sold and their assets appreciate at a higher rate than the low interest loans the bank gives them.

When they die, the assets will receive a step-up in basis and be distributed to me and my siblings - saving us a shyt ton in taxes since my parent’s’ original stock cost basis was ridiculously low since they’ve held the majority of it for decades.

This isn’t to say they never sell stock, for example, as they like to rebalance when certain positions are overweight but this is a strategy used to minimize their tax bill and eventually mine and my siblings

Last edited:

Raphaello

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York/Toronto
This just isn’t true. Amazon is notoriously uncompetitive vs. other FAANGs in terms of compensation.

The only reason wages are so competitive for low skilled work is because productivity expectations are incredibly high. Amazon’s AWS businesses also subsidizes its Retail business.
Faang salaries != Market rate salaries. There are far more companies in the market and Amazon pays above the vast majority of them.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I have 10 houses all valued at market rate, $100K, but I want to sell them all in a week, I’d probably have to sell at least some at less than market value right? If all the houses are worth $1M if I take my time selling them, but only $700K if I decide I need to sell them all this week, is my worth $1M or $700K?

Bezos could unwind his position, selling his stock, it would just take a lot of time because of how massive it is.

4M shares of Amazon are traded on average daily. That’s about $1.2B worth of buying and selling. It’d take Bezos less than 200 days to sell through all of his stock worth with that volume.
If Bezos would sell 4M shares daily for 200 days and made the mandatory disclosures along the way, the market would speculate that he must know something we don't and the price would go down significantly

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Faang salaries != Market rate salaries. There are far more companies in the market and Amazon pays above the vast majority of them.

Those companies also have lower revenues, profit, etc. FAANG was picked because those are the best peer companies of Amazon.

Point is, Amazon paying above market rate doesn’t mean their pay is fair. You’d need to look at share of revenue paid out in payroll for a better sense of that.

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Most of it is made up. All in stock.

Amazons current market cap is $1.5 trillion. But the actual balance sheet and cash reserves nowhere near that.

Bezos can’t dump all of his stock neither.

Bill Gates dumped pretty much all his Microsoft stock. It can be done over time

Last edited:

Raphaello

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York/Toronto
Those companies also have lower revenues, profit, etc. FAANG was picked because those are the best peer companies of Amazon.

Point is, Amazon paying above market rate doesn’t mean their pay is fair. You’d need to look at share of revenue paid out in payroll for a better sense of that.
By that logic amazon had e significantly lower profit margins then google, apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. I dont think it's fair to compare it to those companies. But then again you do seem to move the goalposts to suit your argument.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
It's a complex issue, I mean people are dropping simple statements like "It should be capped at 10 billion".

What does that mean? If I own a private company, that is valued at 20 billion should I be forced to sell it?
Should it not be allowed to develop successful companies? If the company goes public, should the owner be forced to sell stock and lose control of the company?

Especially the tech sector is wild cause the valuations of many company does nowhere actually reflect their cash flows.

One way is to have better competition laws though, FB should've not have been able to buy IG and Whatapp.

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
drop in the bucket compared to the banking families that own the fed reserve and other banking institutions worldwide that lend to countries.:mjlol: