Old School vs New School beef is brewing

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
the wacker young rappers are just creating a diversion away from their lack of skills, and at the same time using these comments as a promotional tool.

why don't they ever address the people in their age group that refer to them as wack? what do they have to say about the rappers in their age range that are leaps & bounds ahead of them?

theres no war going on. theyre just peddling bullchit, and it seems to be working, cuz now you got vet posters having serious conversations about lil yachty and the like in this thread.

altho, in fairness hip-hop has always been disrespectful towards the old school. theyre just being blatant with it.
Cosign this 100%. There is no war, its just a handful of wack rappers who will not be around in 18 months getting propped up by (white) writers who are paid to generate controversy and hype up whatever is hot at the moment. So they promote a fake 90s vs Now divide cuz it lowkey makes them feel younger than they are

The 90's were 20 years ago, thats a long time and that ship sailed a minute ago. But the 2000s (2000-2010) were so unremarkable that we just skipped over that era in our minds. These new rappers should be paying homage to 50, Jeezy Wayne and T.I. if anybody. Cuz thats the "old school" to them...

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
It's never did. Hip hop was/is a youth led movement. All the old school artists were in their late teens/early 20s when they blew up.

it's more youthful than ever before. i don't rock to alot the stuff out now, every now and then i'd find something i like but it don't last in my rotation for long.

LOOPY

All Star
Daps
:snoop: nah i can't rock out to songs like this, all this mumbling on records like Desiigner isn't the music i've been a fan of. if people like it, cool i ain't knocking it. i prefer my music with content.

What is "content" ?

Fantasy rap about selling coke, pushing foreigns and clashing with ninjas?

~Oh wait :ohhh:

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
What is "content" ?

Fantasy rap about selling coke, pushing foreigns and clashing with ninjas?

~Oh wait :ohhh:

nah that ain't "content" i only listen to, shyt that envokes emotion, anger, happiness, aggression, storytelling that's the music i always listen to. every now and then i'll listen to some shyt that just got simple lyrics and a beat but those kind of songs don't last or long. that stuff is here today, gone tomorrrow.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
them young nikkas aint gotta listen to or respect shyt that matters to me. i wont show them the same respect of someone who does, but that's because i believe someone who does their homework generally has more to say about related/relevant conversations.

that said. they dont owe me shyt. and they dont owe you, or all these flabby hip hop historians, a fukking thing either.

brother walt

GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
all these new rappers broke and drug addicts the reason the two generation cant get along is because one is the dope fiend and the other is the dope dealer the dope fiend cop from whoever have the cheapest price so they don't respect nobody this yung generation
and im 27 btw

raw613

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
602 via 410
You coli dudes need to think back to when you were 18 (I kno that's gonna be long time for a lot you nikkas :wow: )

But would u rather hear a 18 -22 year old Nas n Snoop rapping bout street shyt.

Or a 30+ year old BDK or Krs?

Would you rather hear a young funk flex spinning at the tunnel?

Or go to a Dj Kool Herc Sunday BBQ?

I honestly just get so tired goin on the Internet nowadays and try to discuss new hip hop with old ppl. That's why YouTube n soundcloud n ppl like Akademiks have boomed lately, seems like all the young nikkas just discuss it there.
i was younger than that then and Nas was name dropping the conflict with Bdp and Mc Shan and Snoop paid homage to Slick Rick and Kurupt mentioned Rakim as his idol on Snoop's first album, I got deeper into the catalogue of 80s legends because of how much they were bigged up and the average listener would have at least had some respect and familiarity with those names

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
Aint no beef "brewing" its just an archetypal struggle between two generations of young and old.

And as is typical with this dynamic, generally its the older crowd unfairly ridiculing the younger generation as being frivolous, untalented, disrespectful, and without merit, which are usually criticisms masked by resentment because they arent young anymore. I think thats whats happening here in hip hop.

Go to pretty much any youtube video featuring an older artist, and you'll invariably find comments blasting the current rap generation. They cant even enjoy a video from an older artist without using it as an excuse to say "new hip hop sucks!!!" (damn all of it?). You're not going to go to many Big Sean videos and see random cheap shots like "90s hip hop is trash!".

Older rappers unload on the current generation quite freqently, while generally the extent of what I'll hear from newer rappers is "I dont really like 90s rap". A lot of older rappers forget the unnecessary hate they received from older musicians from the 60s/70s/80s, who wrote all hip hop off as stealing from talented musicians from the past, and being fundamentally worthless as a genre.

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
there's a lack of respect for the past across the board in the black community, and yes, i feel it's a problem, it's part of the reason we're complacent. as for hip hop specifically, i've come to acknowledge these cats don't love the music so it is what it is. older rappers loved music in general thus the reason they paid homage, knew and sample songs from the past, etc. i feel like a lot of kids don't love music anymore nor are they knowledgeable about it. they're simply in it to extract as many likes, retweets, and $$ as possible. that's cool, but that's why 95% are here today gone tomorrow cliches. fukk em :yeshrug:

John Hull

You can’t see me!
Daps
Reppin
Studio gangstas
It's not about disrespect+++

We respect the culture n the past greats.

It's that we just don't give a fukk what ya have to say nomore.

I posted threads about many artists who are now on. that the booth shytted on.

Thankfully we live in a era where your opinions don't mean shyt.

The Internet cracked this bytch open.

You old heads hate on everything, now fortunately y'all are gettin left behind in the past where ya wanna be.

Keep scratching ya heads while young ma n phresher keep getting bigger n bigger. ~Wait :mj:

This nikka looks old too. :flabbynsick:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
Aint no beef "brewing" its just an archetypal struggle between two generations of young and old.

And as typical with this dynamic, generally its the older crowd unfairly ridiculing the younger generation as being frivolous, untalented, disrespectful, and without merit, which are usually criticisms masked by resentment because they arent young anymore. I think thats whats happening here in hip hop.

Go to pretty much any youtube video featuring an older artist, and you'll invariably find comments blasting the current rap generation. They cant even enjoy a video from an older artist they enjoy without saying "new hip hop sucks!!!" (damn all of it?). You're not going to go to many Big Sean videos and see random cheap shots like "90s hip hop is trash!".
This is true, but at the same time, there a lot of these new school rappers ARE trash. In the 90s, you had to be at least somewhat talented to get producers to make beats for you, to get recording time in a studio and get a label to fund you. Now since anybody can make hip hop from their basement, you just need a bandwagon and social media to boost you to fame.

Also, the older crowd isn't shytting on talented younger rappers. Kendrick, Vince Staples, Cole (when he makes good albums), all these dudes get a lot of props and respect straight out the gate.

I won't name any names, and I don't believe in going out of your way to hate something. But a lot of these new rappers just aren't... good. Straight up. They don't have the voice for it (yes, sadly not anyone can sound good on a mic, just like singers). They don't put time into developing their flow, lyrics, and mic technique. They are too cheap to pay producers for good beats. They put out 8 mixtapes a year instead of putting out a great album every 2 years. They suck, plain and simple. If we compared their music to film/tv, their work is the equivalent of a series of shytty reality TV shows, while Nas made The GodFather his first time out.

Last edited: