Old School vs New School beef is brewing

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
The New School cats are burying themselves because their shelf lives are so short. Respecting the culture and your elders can't HURT you :yeshrug: As with ANYTHING the students gain the most. Why would they NOT want to study the art form??? What bad can come out of learning the history of your craft :dahell: that's some nikka shyt to think you know it all :beli: especially when you have shows like The Get Down or The Breaks out detailing the history. the old school artists are able to tour to this DAY. What New School artists will be able to do this :usure: I mean this is REALLY a STUPID argument :francis:

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
You coli dudes need to think back to when you were 18 (I kno that's gonna be long time for a lot you nikkas :wow: )

But would u rather hear a 18 -22 year old Nas n Snoop rapping bout street shyt.

Or a 30+ year old BDK or Krs?

Would you rather hear a young funk flex spinning at the tunnel?

Or go to a Dj Kool Herc Sunday BBQ?

I honestly just get so tired goin on the Internet nowadays and try to discuss new hip hop with old ppl. That's why YouTube n soundcloud n ppl like Akademiks have boomed lately, seems like all the young nikkas just discuss it there.
:camby:
There was no problem at all with bumping Illmatic & Doggystyle in '94 along with music from the OG's. Rakim's return with The 18th Letter & EPMD'S Back In Business albums were anticipated by rap fans in my high school along with albums from new artists in '97
This was a '97 album with the current gen paying homage to "old nikkas" instead of disrespecting
In tha Beginning...There Was Rap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You lil nikkas are just disrespectful fake rap fans. And you an ignorant nikka if all you wanna hear is "street shyt". There's so much more ground to cover with hip-hop and great mc's have always done it with variety of styles

Last edited:

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
between the comments from Chief Keef, Yachty, Uzi Vert, Young Thug etc there seems to be strong "I don't give a fukk" about the past that hasn't been in rap before. Not to say that rap hasn't always been a young mans game, and even more so, a new persons game. But the rappers in the 90s still paid homage (by and large). My question is where do you stand on the argument? Since rap is so different now do you think young rappers need to know their history? Does it even matter?

Do you feel older rappers should stfu and let the young dudes cook? What's your thoughts?
I feel the old rappers should stfu and let the youngins cook.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
KRS still killed Nelly on wax, regardless of sales and exposure. hip hop doesn't cater to older heads anymore it's a young genre now.
But you said
eventually one of these older cats gonna go off on them and lyrically body their careers, i suggest these youngin's calm down before they shyt really gets messed up.
And what I'm saying is that's not gunna happen.
An old rapper dissing a new rapper is not going to effect that new rappers career.

LOOPY

All Star
Daps
It's not about disrespect+++

We respect the culture n the past greats.

It's that we just don't give a fukk what ya have to say nomore.

I posted threads about many artists who are now on. that the booth shytted on.

Thankfully we live in a era where your opinions don't mean shyt.

The Internet cracked this bytch open.

You old heads hate on everything, now fortunately y'all are gettin left behind in the past where ya wanna be.

Keep scratching ya heads while young ma n phresher keep getting bigger n bigger. ~Wait :mj:

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
But you said

And what I'm saying is that's not gunna happen.
An old rapper dissing a new rapper is not going to effect that new rappers career.

yea casual fans might not care, but fans who are true to the roots would care. but it might not affect them that much now that dissing & battling isn't a factor anymore. hip hop is not as violent and confrontational as it was in the past. everybody is buddy buddy now which is corny. i came up off that era of battling and the hardcore rap back in late 90's.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
:tochilol:
Hip hop in the 90s still shared similar characteristics with the class of 86-88. This new trap shyt has no real connection to hip hop of the 90s that valued skills on the mic and sample based beats.

All these young brehs gotta do is keep their mouth shut if they don't know what they're talking about :pdahell:
Common sense really.
Wrong Hiphop now share a lot characteristics of the No limit and CM movement

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY

You old heads hate on everything, now fortunately y'all are gettin left behind in the past where ya wanna be.

Keep scratching ya heads while young ma n phresher keep getting bigger n bigger

:snoop: nah i can't rock out to songs like this, all this mumbling on records like Desiigner isn't the music i've been a fan of. if people like it, cool i ain't knocking it. i prefer my music with content.

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
KRS still killed Nelly on wax, regardless of sales and exposure. hip hop doesn't cater to older heads anymore it's a young genre now.
It's the exact opposite really. RAP and the RADIO caters to the young genre. Hip Hop is still an older crowd. Hell this weekend in Detroit Puff/Bad are doing a stadium tour and Ice Cube and the LEGENDS of HIP HOP are doing another stadium tour. All them new acts end up at lil Clubs where the local cats...ie Trick Trick :demonic:can tax them. It's still a old man's game :manny:

Last edited:

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY

Keep scratching ya heads while young ma n phresher keep getting bigger n bigger

:snoop: nah i can't rock out to songs like this, all this mumbling on records like Desiigner isn't the music i've been a fan of. if people like it, cool i ain't knocking it. i prefer my music with content.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
yea casual fans might not care, but fans who are true to the roots would care. but it might not affect them that much now that dissing & battling isn't a factor anymore. hip hop is not as violent and confrontational as it was in the past. everybody is buddy buddy now which is corny. i came up off that era of battling and the hardcore rap back in late 90's.
Now I agree with your point about hip-hop being too buddy buddy now, but is hip-hop being less violent and confrontational (at least off wax) necessarily a bad thing?

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
them young nikkas aint gotta listen to or respect shyt that matters to me. i wont show them the same respect of someone who does, but that's because i believe someone who does their homework generally has more to say about related/relevant conversations.

that said. they dont owe me shyt. and they dont owe you, or all these flabby hip hop historians, a fukking thing either.